HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, it's a blank dark brick wall - at first I was like WTF is that even a building? (the train rails block the view of the "skyscraper".)

They could've made it slightly narrower, replacing the parkade only. I'm pretty sure the business case for it would've been similar.

Or U-shaped, eliminating that stupid little pub with the fake medieval beam-and-plaster architecture...... (just so it's clear, I'm not serious, it would look pretty bad, but that pub is pretty horrible)
I'm confused... Linea has a continuous glass wall at street level (which kind of slants into the site a little bit, creating a welcoming widening of the sidewalk).

Above that is two levels of parking with a transparent mesh facade. They thought they would grow vines on it, but the northern exposure + lack of connection to ground + noise/vibration probably killed that idea.

Also - Monk's Pub is the greatest! Have you tried their chili beer cheeseburger?

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:58 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

https://archpaper.com/2018/05/demoli...lay-ordinance/

Demolition of historic coal plant reveals tension between Chicago’s preservationists and environmentalists
By ELIZABETH BLASIUS • May 10, 2018

photo from article

Demolition of coal plant reveals tension between Chicago's preservationists and environmentalists. Chicago’s Industrial Gothic and neoclassical Crawford Generating Station. (Eric Rogers)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:42 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Losing more worker's cottages..

5.30.18 1 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

5.30.18 2 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
https://archpaper.com/2018/05/demoli...lay-ordinance/

Demolition of historic coal plant reveals tension between Chicago’s preservationists and environmentalists
By ELIZABETH BLASIUS • May 10, 2018

photo from article

Demolition of coal plant reveals tension between Chicago's preservationists and environmentalists. Chicago’s Industrial Gothic and neoclassical Crawford Generating Station. (Eric Rogers)
This building is awesome and needs to be turned into something.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:32 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i remember how filthy the air was around this plant.

there's also probably some quite serious environmental impacts around/under the plant, depending on what all of the historic uses were.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

there's also probably some quite serious environmental impacts around/under the plant, depending on what all of the historic uses were.
Doesn’t the site need the same remediation work done in any event?

So it’s a bit more expensive/time-consuming to do it while keeping the exterior brick walls propped up. Require that anyway. If it means that no one comes along to develop the site for a decade or two, then so be it.

It is completely unfathomable that a developer would be allowed to bulldoze an historic building of this scale. I get that there’s nothing around it now, but it would anchor whatever neighborhood eventually develops.

They’re going to build some piece of shit, disposable shed out of corrugated steel. Disgusting and embarrassing for the city.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

Unfortunately it was a power plant so it almost undoubtedly is saturated with PCBs which are the worst possible contaminent. They are responsible for an extremely high possibility of very very nasty birth defects. Of course this plant is probably also laden with lead and asbestos as well as other heavy metals resulting from the incineration of coal.

It really should be saved, but that's going to be extremely expensive. I worked on the sale of the old Emerson Electric Plant in Ithaca NY which is a PCB Superfund site where they probably manufactured some of the equipment this building used to house. The environmental remediation required was intense. My hometown was also a PCB Superfund site as a boat motor plant had been dumping PCBs directly into the river for decades. When I was a kid they damed up the entire river, diverted into huge pipes, and then scraped the silt down to bedrock with mining equipment and took it away in huge rubber lined dumptrucks. They just found even more PCBs downstream (actually in the city park on the river where I used to play in the waterfalls and catch crawdads) and this time clear-cut all the trees in the park, again diverted the river, and built a processing plant on site that probably took up four or five acres of park land for two years. They ran all the mud in the entire site through giant bladders that allowed the contaminants to settle out of the mud and then processed it giant silos. I don't like to think about how much time I spent in the creek and park there as a child because there was some extremely nasty contamination there.

Point being that transformers were basically filled with PCBs and they are extremely nasty chemicals that linger for a long time without breaking down. Sites that were contaminated with PCBs are typically permanently banned from residential use because pregnant women are virtually guaranteed to miscarry or have exotic birth defects if they come in contact with them. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for this facility because it's probably soaked into the ground under the building and even saturating the concrete or brick structure in areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Losing more worker's cottages..

5.30.18 1 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

5.30.18 2 by Chicagooan, on Flickr
This is why no one takes preservations seriously, this building is nice, but it's not worth saving, there's literally thousands upon thousands of identical buildings to this one, many with much more of the original cornice tracery and moulding, all over the city. Taking time to complain when one nondescript mere decent undersized structure comes down debases the voice of preservationists when something much more noteworthy like that Burnham warehouse comes down.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 8:30 PM

PS, check out the next building I'm saving:

This building is in demo court and was about to be demolished. It has a huge steel truss shed, a small bow truss building, a huge triangular truss space, multiple two story timber frame buildings, and tens of thousands of SF of single story timber frame space. It has an entire old street inside of it where they bought a whole block of industrial buildings and then vacated the street and covered it with a roof making it a hallway connecting all the buildings on the block together. I'm going to take that roof down and have my own private street of industrial buildings. The other buyers bidding on it wanted to rip it down and build a gated townhome community...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 9:11 PM
BANNED

why would you take the roof down?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
why would you take the roof down?
Only where the street once was, all the sections I posted are stand alone industrial buildings that once lined a whole block of street. The whole block was bought up and they vacated the street and put a roof over it making the street essentially a huge hallway. All of the old facades of the buildings are still in there so in taking the roof off except these huge I beams that span the street and making it a pedestrian breezeway. That way I basically double the retail frontage of the building and expose the historic industrial streetscape that used to be there. I'm going to put corregated metal canopys back up between the I beams to create shade in front of the buildings for sidewalk patios and shelter from rain, but the center of the street will be open air again.

You will all see what I'm talking about when I'm done with it, it's a really cool concept unlike anything else that exists in Chicago. I will basically have a block of private street lined by old school industrial buildings converted to restaurants, a CrossFit gym, a food truck commisary, a brewery, a coffee roaster, and other stuff like band practice spaces, artist studios, etc tucked behind the more active uses or on the second floor.

I have a 70x150 clear span metal truss shed that I am probably going to turn into an event space, but was just approached about making it a youth league hockey rink. So many options! But so many cool spaces to work with! There are at least 12 different buildings all mashed together into one right now.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Only where the street once was, all the sections I posted are stand alone industrial buildings that once lined a whole block of street. The whole block was bought up and they vacated the street and put a roof over it making the street essentially a huge hallway. All of the old facades of the buildings are still in there so in taking the roof off except these huge I beams that span the street and making it a pedestrian breezeway. That way I basically double the retail frontage of the building and expose the historic industrial streetscape that used to be there. I'm going to put corregated metal canopys back up between the I beams to create shade in front of the buildings for sidewalk patios and shelter from rain, but the center of the street will be open air again.

You will all see what I'm talking about when I'm done with it, it's a really cool concept unlike anything else that exists in Chicago. I will basically have a block of private street lined by old school industrial buildings converted to restaurants, a CrossFit gym, a food truck commisary, a brewery, a coffee roaster, and other stuff like band practice spaces, artist studios, etc tucked behind the more active uses or on the second floor.

I have a 70x150 clear span metal truss shed that I am probably going to turn into an event space, but was just approached about making it a youth league hockey rink. So many options! But so many cool spaces to work with! There are at least 12 different buildings all mashed together into one right now.
Do you mind sharing where the buildings are? The story seems interesting.

Sounds like an awesome project.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:54 AM

Yeah, I second that, don't you mind sharing a bit more...? Very interesting.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:12 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Always love walking by these homes in Boystown..
6.2.18 3 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, I second that, don't you mind sharing a bit more...? Very interesting.
Y'all will know it when you see it! The location is even better, two or three blocks from the train. Once construction starts I will share more, but for now top secret because I'm flying under the radar. If anyone has any buddies who are looking for spaces and would make cool tenants, let me know because I have a shit ton of space, I mean like acres of it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 1:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Always love walking by these homes in Boystown..
6.2.18 3 by Chicagooan, on Flickr
I don’t know, they are handsome, but in the end I like our city’s transition to masonry, which will almost certainly happen here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:20 PM

^^^ I have to agree that there are very few frame buildings in Chicago worth saving. Most have had their original siding totally destroyed and are basically the innards of a brick building from the same era minus the brick and plus five or six layers of asphalt, asbestos, aluminium, and vinyl siding.

I say this as someone originally from the Milwaukee area where the vast majority of old frame buildings are worth saving. For whatever reason most of the big frame buildings in Milwaukee still retain many of their original features and were built much more substantially in the first place. I don't know if the climate up there is just that much less humid or what, but the old siding that still persists up there is insane.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:17 PM

It would be nice if so many of the new masonry buildings in Chicago weren’t so awful. That thing on the left in the photo above being exhibit A - no architectural merit to speak of, and the brick itself looks cheap.

The only things worse are the tacky faux Second Empire townhouses going up all over Lincoln Park. And if people are going to tear down and rebuild swathes of the city, can someone at least build some rowhouses?

Last edited by 10023; Jun 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It would be nice if so many of the new masonry buildings in Chicago weren’t so awful. That thing on the left in the photo above being exhibit A - no architectural merit to speak of, and the brick itself looks cheap.

The only things worse are the tacky faux Second Empire townhouses going up all over Lincoln Park. And if people are going to tear down and rebuild swathes of the city, can someone at least build some rowhouses?
What do you mean by rowhouses? Are you imagining a traditional, or contemporary design? The city was carpeted with townhouse developments in the 90s and 00s. There aren't as many these days because of a reduced market for home sales in general and because the TOD ordinance enabled large multi-family developments on many close-to-train sites that would have once become townhomes.

I won't lie, a lot of the townhouses are pretty banal but I've seen some excellent ones as well.

Tasteful Georgian rowhouses in Prairie District:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8569...7i13312!8i6656

Nice modernist rowhouses in Cabrini area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9010...7i13312!8i6656

This one in Bucktown is terraced nicely into the side of a railroad embankment (now the 606):
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9138...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:16 PM
The City

The whole "building townhomes that face inner courtyards" motif seems like a very Chicago thing. As long as they don't turn their back to the streets I don't mind, but sometimes I find the outcome sort of awkward--as if it's trying to be urban, but trying to shy away from the city at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What do you mean by rowhouses? Are you imagining a traditional, or contemporary design? The city was carpeted with townhouse developments in the 90s and 00s. There aren't as many these days because of a reduced market for home sales in general and because the TOD ordinance enabled large multi-family developments on many close-to-train sites that would have once become townhomes.

I won't lie, a lot of the townhouses are pretty banal but I've seen some excellent ones as well.

Tasteful Georgian rowhouses in Prairie District:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8569...7i13312!8i6656

Nice modernist rowhouses in Cabrini area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9010...7i13312!8i6656

This one in Bucktown is terraced nicely into the side of a railroad embankment (now the 606):
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9138...7i13312!8i6656
I strongly dislike all of those examples.

Why are the “Georgian” ones staggered like that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions