HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 2:16 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiesquared View Post
Wow... that sounds like a good tagline for Sacramento in general.
Yeah I know reggie, but there's no leadership in this city and the people here will never vote to approve spending public tax dollars on a new arena.

The city has studied potential sites and so has the NBA..

Downtown is cost prohibitveand if you put it in Natomas, then who will pay for it??

Cal Expo can sell some land to help pay for the arena and doesn't require a public vote..

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
I'd still rather pay out of my own pocket for an arena in the railyards.

But if they can plan something feasible and still interesting for CalExpo,
I'm all ears. I agree in full to everything that Brandon said, and i just don't
get why they'd bother with the hassle to put it in CalExpo. The public has
already expressed in their double-speak way, that they don't want it there.
So let's just say I'm a bit more willing to be enlightened.
In todays day and age do you really think the people are going to have a say in this? Too many years of letting the NIMBY's of Sacramento steamroll projects and the ball is rolling back over the NIMBy's. Plus, who has more money...the Arden Fair area businesses or the the East Sac NIMBY's?!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:02 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
The public has
already expressed in their double-speak way, that they don't want it there.
So let's just say I'm a bit more willing to be enlightened.
The public in Sacramento would be fine letting the team leave without replacing the arena at all.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:37 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
The public in Sacramento would be fine letting the team leave without replacing the arena at all.
I hate to admit it Urban, but I think you are right about that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 3:52 PM

Has there been ANY news on the arena? Or did CalExpo spend its last dollars paying Pete Wilson $400/hour?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:37 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
I hate to admit it Urban, but I think you are right about that.
Sacramento gets too caught up in class envy. Read the Bee comments section and you see all of this anger towards "the rich." Admittedly, buffoons like the Maloofs make getting angry pretty easy, but envy alone rarely solves individual or societal problems.

But it is this seething (perhaps too strong a word) anger towards anyone in a better economic percentile that, in my view, helps create the attitude that makes building anything truly remarkable in Sacramento more difficult.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Has there been ANY news on the arena? Or did CalExpo spend its last dollars paying Pete Wilson $400/hour?
The last update I found was in the 12/8/07 edition of the Sacramento Bee:
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/552174.html

Basically, Cal Expo wants to research whether an arena component is feasible before it enters into negotiations with the NBA. I guess that takes a shit-load of time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 6:47 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
Sacramento gets too caught up in class envy. Read the Bee comments section and you see all of this anger towards "the rich." Admittedly, buffoons like the Maloofs make getting angry pretty easy, but envy alone rarely solves individual or societal problems.

But it is this seething (perhaps too strong a word) anger towards anyone in a better economic percentile that, in my view, helps create the attitude that makes building anything truly remarkable in Sacramento more difficult.
Yes, i agree, if you compare Sac to SF. San Franciscians love their rich people They bring in big dollars, creativity, and political muscle.
When a grand expensive project comes their way they embrace it for the most part.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 1:34 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Arena talks moving along between NBA, Cal Expo
By Mary Lynne Vellinga - mvellinga@sacbee.com
Last Updated 1:06 pm PST Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Despite a long public silence and a slumping real estate market, negotiations between the NBA and Cal Expo over how to get a new Kings arena built on the state fairgrounds are quietly perking along.

"There's ways to get this done. If there wasn't the possibility of getting it done and putting together a deal, the (NBA) commissioner wouldn't be here," said Karen Skelton, a local consultant working for the NBA.

NBA consultant John Moag spoke Tuesday on the phone with former Gov. Pete Wilson, who was hired to negotiate for Cal Expo. Both sides were represented at a face-to-face meeting about two weeks ago.

"We are comfortable with where we are right now," said Sean Walsh, who works with Wilson. "We have an enthusiastic Cal Expo team and a dedicated NBA negotiating team.

"At this juncture, we're all rowing in the same direction, and that's to assess whether a project of this size and scope, that requires redevelopment of the fairgrounds and the construction of an arena, can pencil out."

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 12:14 AM

NBA, Cal Expo reach agreement on Kings arena

By Mary Lynne Vellinga - mlvellinga@sacbee.com
Last Updated 4:38 pm PDT Friday, May 9, 2008

Negotiators for the National Basketball Association and Cal Expo on Friday announced they'd reached an agreement to move forward jointly on a plan to build a Kings arena in the state fairgrounds.

According to a letter of understanding, which still must be approved by the Cal Expo board of directors, the NBA would shoulder the majority of the costs over the next 180 days as the two parties work together on a development plan that would accommodate both an arena and a revamped fairgrounds.

The parties plan to ask developers to submit proposals for turning the 360-acre fairgrounds into a mixed-use and entertainment development.

Cal Expo's board is scheduled to consider the letter of understanding at its May 21 meeting. Both NBA Commissioner David Stern and former Gov. Pete Wilson, the lead negotiator for Cal Expo, plan to attend.

The Maloofs, who own the Kings, are scheduled to be briefed by phone on the progress next week, said spokeswoman Donna Lucas. "They continue to be very supportive and appreciative of the work the commissioner and the NBA have been doing on the issue," she said.

The agreement is not legally binding, but representatives of both the NBA and Cal Expo said it represents a significant step forward. They cautioned that major challenges lie ahead, however.

"We wouldn't be doing it if we didn't think there was a more than fair chance it could be done, but recognizing that it's not a slam dunk," Stern said Friday.

Negotiators for both sides said they were confident enough that they could come up with a mutually acceptable development proposal to move to the next step -- crafting an actual plan and finding a developer to design and build it.

Wilson said Friday that negotiations thus far have led him to be "optimistic that it may lead to something really important for the city, and the state and for basketball fans, and ultimately for the people who are the daily inhabitants ... of this development."

The goal is to attract a developer that can both build a 17,000- to 20,000-seat arena and revamp the tired fairgrounds -- without using taxpayer dollars.

"We're going to squeeze these numbers every way possible," Stern said in a telephone interview.

Such a development -- which could include retail, office or housing -- would have to produce enough profit to pay for the arena and fairgrounds update, two items that could easily cost $650 million, based on past estimates.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 12:16 AM

nevermind

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 12:34 AM

Gosh, reading some of the comments on Sacbee just amazes. People complain and revolt when the arena was going to include taxpayer funding and now they are still complaining when taxpayer funds will not be involved. Personally, Kings in Sacramento, despite the potential traffic issues at Cal Expo, is much better than no Kings in Sacramento at all.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Gosh, reading some of the comments on Sacbee just amazes. People complain and revolt when the arena was going to include taxpayer funding and now they are still complaining when taxpayer funds will not be involved. Personally, Kings in Sacramento, despite the potential traffic issues at Cal Expo, is much better than no Kings in Sacramento at all.
I have come to find that people who comment on sacbee.com regularly do not represent the region as a whole. I think most people would be happy with this idea or, at the very least, apathetic to it.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 3:18 AM
Here we stAy

I want to see how they will link up to transit, i.e. LRT. Maybe they could create a second monorail line from the closest station to the new arena, if it doesn't break the bank of course.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 3:36 AM

The people who comment on sacbee.com are people from Galt. They don't exist so don't worry about them.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I want to see how they will link up to transit, i.e. LRT. Maybe they could create a second monorail line from the closest station to the new arena, if it doesn't break the bank of course.
Great minds think alike. I was just thinking that earlier today!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
The people who comment on sacbee.com are people from Galt. They don't exist so don't worry about them.
Now, there's ANOTHER thing we can agree on! Can we work from here?!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:09 AM

I never bother going down the page far enough to read the comments. They usually make me want choke they first person I see. Anyways going to back to the arena/cal expo I hope they reduce the importance of the fairgrounds in the proposal. The state fair is a slowly dying tradition and I would hate to see the project get bogged down trying to create an over the top fairground experience for a four week event that most years barely breaks even. I don't see anything turning back that trend. They have to put most of their eggs in the arena, retail, amphitheatre, and convention/exhibition space.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 6:29 AM
Hindrance to Development

Who says the State Fair is a dying tradition? That's news to me...

itsmotorsport: As I have mentioned before, the monorail at Cal Expo is a toy, not something that can be used for serious transit. It wouldn't be too hard to run a streetcar line from the vicinity of Swanston or Royal Oaks station up Arden and down Expo.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:21 AM
Here we stAy

I realize it's more "toyish" than those in other cities, but it was more a play on themes, since it's already there. And if they did think about a streetcar, it would have to be on it's own seperate track (maybe even elevated) to avoid any possible hassle with traffic before/after events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area