HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:12 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
I was photographing l'Oratoire St-Joseph on the weekend when I stumbled upon a promising mansion neighbourhood directly behind it. I'll have to go back and explore a little.
That would be called Westmount.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 6:37 PM

These houses aren't necessarily huge, but they are titular castles nonetheless.

Rock Castle, 1848

This house is built literally on the slope of the Niagara Escarpment overlooking Corktown. Apparently the interior of this house is spectacular, with 10 foot ceilings, moulded archways and elaborate curving staircases. Currently, the owners themselves live in the largest of 5 apartments.

The property is difficult to access, so there is no good view of the house. Three and a half storeys face the opposite side, overlooking Hamilton and Hamilton Harbour.

Castle Doune, late 1830s

This house was part of the estate of Dundurn Castle

Smiley's Castle, 1854

This house is in a poor area of the city and has lost its grandeur. Apartment buildings have been added to the property.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 7:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
That would be called Westmount.
I wasn't sure at the time Jimby. I thought that I was still in CDN but then checked the map and discovered that I was right on the CDN/Westmount border. I've never been to Upper Westmount. I hope to do a walkabout when the weather improves.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 7:57 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
I wasn't sure at the time Jimby. I thought that I was still in CDN but then checked the map and discovered that I was right on the CDN/Westmount border. I've never been to Upper Westmount. I hope to do a walkabout when the weather improves.

While you're there checking out mansions, also take a walk through Summit Park.

http://www.westmount.org/page.cfm?Se...nu_Item_Sub=41
Summit Park and Lookout
Bounded by Summit Circle
2,485,018 sq. ft. - 57.05 acres
Bird and flower sanctuary and tree preserve

At almost 2.5 million square feet or slightly more than 57 acres, this is Westmount's largest park. It is carefully preserved urban woodland, with pathways meandering throughout. Wild birds and animals make this their haven, finding natural habitats in this tiny corner of the big city.

The Summit is also a designated bird and wildlife sanctuary where the early-morning birdwatchers can spot many species that make their homes in the little forest. During the critical weeks of nesting season, from April to June, dogs must be leashed at all times.

Many wild plant and flower species also thrive on the Summit, and the City relies on you to help preserve this fragile area by refraining from picking or walking on the vegetation.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 8:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
While you're there checking out mansions, also take a walk through Summit Park.

http://www.westmount.org/page.cfm?Se...nu_Item_Sub=41
Summit Park and Lookout
Bounded by Summit Circle
2,485,018 sq. ft. - 57.05 acres
Bird and flower sanctuary and tree preserve

At almost 2.5 million square feet or slightly more than 57 acres, this is Westmount's largest park. It is carefully preserved urban woodland, with pathways meandering throughout. Wild birds and animals make this their haven, finding natural habitats in this tiny corner of the big city.

The Summit is also a designated bird and wildlife sanctuary where the early-morning birdwatchers can spot many species that make their homes in the little forest. During the critical weeks of nesting season, from April to June, dogs must be leashed at all times.

Many wild plant and flower species also thrive on the Summit, and the City relies on you to help preserve this fragile area by refraining from picking or walking on the vegetation.
Definately. I hear that Westmount Park is gorgeous as well. I did a tour of some Outremont neighbourhoods and parks last summer. WOW!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 9:32 AM
BANNED

I've always thought this place in south Vancouver is pretty nice.

Here's a brief description from the realtor: "The 14,056 square feet home in a private gated property consists of over 3 acres of landscaped garden and includes a private lake, waterfalls, spectacular indoor and outdoor swimming pools with wet bar, tennis court, 8-stall stable and separate caretaker's residence. In addition, there is a 3-car garage and a private front courtyard area that can park 10+ cars."

The price?

$16,800,000

SpongeG, here's another look at the south Van house you posted:

The house is so big, that's not even all of it, there's more to the right! It's almost 21,000 sq/ft!

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jan 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:57 PM

^Wow I absolutely love the first one.

Thought this might be interesting, hope Delerium doesnt mind me stealing his post from the Vancouver local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Thought this was interesting. these figures are from 2008 and are based on assessed value and not market value.

#5. 130 South Oxley St., West Vancouver $16,324,000

The home of condo kingpin Nat Bosa and his wife, Flora, was designed by the renowned modernist architect Fred Hollingsworth and completed in 1993. The massive waterfront lot — at the end of one of West Van’s poshest streets — ranks it among the highest assessed properties in the area. Market value: about $30 million.

#4. 4719 Belmont Ave., West Point Grey $17,548,000

The westernmost swath of West Point Grey has become a destination for the super-rich. No wonder: the area combines huge lots with grand Shaughnessy-style manors and views of English Bay — all without the commute across the Lions Gate Bridge. 4719 Belmont Avenue (the smaller house, left), is the home of former Future Shop owner Hassan Khosrowshahi and his wife, Nezhat. It boasts a central courtyard with a retractable, pyramid-shaped glass roof. Interior design was handled by British decorator David Laws, who revamped 10 Downing Street for Margaret Thatcher. On the right is Joseph and Rosalie Segal’s $12-million spread. The home was designed to accommodate the couple’s many philanthropic events — the formal dining room seats 34. Other features include a chandelier once owned by Mussolini, and a glass spa with an oval-shaped pool.

#3. 2815 Point Grey Rd., Kitsilano $21,216,000

Location, location, location. Jacqui Cohen-Herrendorf’s estate occupies a 30,499-square-foot chunk of waterfront land next to Volunteer Park — neighbourhood noise and looky-loos are a nonissue. Her estate has 150 feet of beachfront in an area where 30 to 50 feet is the norm. The home was reportedly inspired by the Army & Navy owner’s former residence in California. Rumour has it she’s planning to demolish the estimated 12,000-square-foot structure and design a new one with Russell Hollingsworth — architect to the super-wealthy and fellow Face the World board member.

#2. 4785 Drummond Dr., West Point Grey $20,478,000

The home that video games built. Don Mattrick, the former Electronic Arts Worldwide president who now heads up Microsoft’s games division, shares this 25,000-square-foot pad with his wife, Nanon, whose father, Philippe de Gaspé Beaubien, founded and was chairman and CEO of the Quebec-based Telemedia publishing and broadcasting empire. The three-lot property features a 10-car garage, basketball courts, and painstakingly landscaped grounds overlooking Spanish Banks, while the home itself doubles as Mattrick’s office. (He’s said to still play 10 to 15 hours of video games a week.) It all adds up to the highest assessed property in the region; market value is probably close to $35 million.

#1. 3330 Radcliffe Ave., West Vancouver $23,878,000

When this property last changed hands, rumours circulated that Oprah Winfrey was the new owner. The actual title holder is Mountain Holding Business — reputedly Robert Friedland, the billionaire mining promoter who made his first mega-fortune from a massive nickel deposit in Voisey’s Bay, Newfoundland. These days, Friedland spends most of his time at a $9-million home in Australia, developing a mine in Mongolia, while this slick 11,000-square-foot, four-bedroom home awaits his return.

link: http://www.guestlife.com/media/Guest...er-Half-Lives/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:32 AM
Cheers!

Interesting that Don Mattrick house, since my uncle worked on it at one time and I used to work at EA. I'd like to say I don't need a 10 car garage, but if I could afford it... you can bet there's a Ferrari and/or Lambourgini or two among some other gems.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 5:14 AM
BANNED

Delerium, you said, "canada doesn't really have true monster homes like in the US. if anyone is interested, check out on Live Maps an area called North Beverly Park in LA. It has the largest concentration of mega homes in the world. it's INSANE!"

Geeze, I dunno about that. Using virtual earth, i've toured both Beverly Parks (north and south) and the Bridle Path in Toronto comes pretty close. There are a lot of palaces in both.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I've always thought this place in south Vancouver is pretty nice.

Here's a brief description from the realtor: "The 14,056 square feet home in a private gated property consists of over 3 acres of landscaped garden and includes a private lake, waterfalls, spectacular indoor and outdoor swimming pools with wet bar, tennis court, 8-stall stable and separate caretaker's residence. In addition, there is a 3-car garage and a private front courtyard area that can park 10+ cars."

The price?

$16,800,000

SpongeG, here's another look at the south Van house you posted:

The house is so big, that's not even all of it, there's more to the right! It's almost 21,000 sq/ft!
cool

yah i always loved casa mia growing up

my friend was an extra in a movie that was filmed there i think it was casa mia - and he said it was really tacky inside

is that first house in Southlands? looks like it - only area of the city that would be able to have stables - some crazy houses down there

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 5:31 PM

Quote:
in Calgary's Mount Royal district

Today's Calgary Herald says the most valuable home in the city is owned by Alfred Baum in the Pumphill district and has 91 rooms, 14 bathrooms, and a concert hall. It is assessed at $22.9 million. The house is right beside the street but really hard to photograph as it sprawls over 5 levels down the hill from the street.
The second most valuable house is in Mount Royal owned by Riaz and Zainool Mamdani. Originally built by Titanic survivors in 1912, it is assessed at $11.6 million. Don't know which house this is. Maybe the one in my photo?
A lot of the really big mansions are outside of the city hidden down long driveways, invisible to the public.
i did the pool in this house. the inside of the main lobby of this home was built to be a detailed and complete recreation of the Titanic main lobby. it includes on the upper level, the Titanic guest rooms, a lounge the captains room and also the glass ceiling that is exact to the one in the main lobby of the titanic as well. also there is a media room with a 300 inch screen, including a super computer with several massive and powerful servers. the wine cellar is also found here and it is completely voice automated. you would call out the name of the wine you wish to choose and its wood engraved drawer with fine carvings and detailed finish will withdraw from the wall. each drawer has digital signatures with the names in red digits. i was one of the few that was allowed to see this room. the master wood crafts person is my life long friend. she was married to my cousin at one time. she bought herself a Lamborghini with the money she made of of this job. i took her over two years to complete the wood work. she had up to 20 wood craft persons working on the job at the time that i did the swimming pool. i had 15 persons working with me. that day we all went out and had some drinks after work.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:00 PM
Here and There

This thread makes me feel slightly ill.......did you know that some top execs make 400 times your salary? FAIL.

You dont need a massive house to live well....... but a well designed smaller house lets you live massive!

Call me jealous I guess.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 8:10 PM
Beefeater

Chelster Hall, Oakville
48,000 Sq.F. or 53,000 when you include outbuildings.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 8:24 PM
Beefeater

The former Labatt Family mansion in London. Actually on the market right now for $2.75 million. House is 17,000 Sq.F. and sits on 2.76 Acres. MLS#474950

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:28 AM

I was going to post Chelster Hall! It's something I show every outside visitor who wants to see why Southeast Oakville has it's reputation..

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:00 AM
Beefeater

I got on the grounds of the place when they were building Chelster. Very impressive even when it was unfinished. I think it was the largest in the country when built or still is.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 6:08 PM

Yes that's the second largest house in Canada (after that bomb shelter in Northern Ontario)
The largest real estate listing is that po-mo one in Abbotsford.

When was Chelster Hall built? It's very tastefully done but dosen't look anything like a mansion imo. It looks so Ivy leaguish

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Here is Alred Balm's mansion in Calgary:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=pumphil...52.07,,0,-0.42

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Edmonton:

Le Marchand Mansion

Taken From Here
Building History: Here

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 8:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

For Sale: Normandy-style chateau in Hamilton
http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/07...u-in-hamilton/

http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/07...u-in-hamilton/

Hamilton
362 Bay St. S. (Aberdeen Avenue and James Mountain Road)
Asking price: $3.6-million
Taxes: $16,607 (2010)
Bedrooms: 6
Bathrooms: 4

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada