CitySpire Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:21 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1125184

$100 million! The most expensive apartment in the country hits the market
The 8,000-square foot “one-of-a-kind gem” is believed to have the highest outdoor space in any New York City residence.

By Gina Pace
Monday, July 30, 2012

Quote:

The most-expensive apartment in the country — a triplex, wrap-around penthouse on W. 56th Street — can now be yours for just $100 million. Raphael De Niro, the son of actor Robert De Niro, has the exclusive listing on the 73rd through 76th floor aerie atop CitySpire — the deluxe apartment in the sky owned by Long Island real estate developer Steven Klar.

The 8,000-square-foot octagon-shaped unit is a "one-of-a-kind gem [that] ranks amongst the most elite homes in America," according to the Prudential Douglas Elliman listing. The apartment isn’t for everyone — and not because of the nine-figure pricetag.

Architect Juan Pablo Molyneux took the original raw space and created an aristocratic interior with inlaid marble floors, stately columns, gold draperies and candeliers.

Other features include:
-- a private, three-story elevator.
-- A wrap-around terrace on all three floors that offers 360-degree views of the city. It’s believed to be the highest outdoor space in any city residence.
-- A dining room that can seat 20.
-- A silver closet.
-- A wine room that can hold more than 1,000 bottles.

Klar bought the property in 1993 for $4.5 million and then spent about as much to renovate it to his tastes. He made his riches building thousands of homes on Long Island.

CitySpire was constructed in 1988 and the building immediately created controversy. The original developer, Ian Bruce Eichner, built the tower higher than building codes allowed, but the city eventually negotiated a settlement that required Eichner to construct a dance studio at another site. Also, the louvers on the top of the building whistled so loudly that area residents complained. The city repeatedly threatened fines, so the developers adjusted the structure to allow wind to pass through without creating such a racket.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 4:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I better get my bid in early.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:13 AM

This was Manhattan's 9th tallest when built, tallest built in the 80s in the city and second tallest concrete skyscraper in the world @ the time. It is still NYC's tallest mixed use (4 now). According 2 wic-e-p-d-uh it was supposed to b 800 feet but was "accidently" built as 814 feet. Sureeeeeeeee, I think that 14 feet was added 2 surpass Chase Manhattan & PanAm! Also as pointed out by others it made "noise". The fines 4 breaking all the codes must of bin expensive. Its a "don't love it don't hate it" building 2 me.

Last edited by Pete8680; Dec 7, 2014 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
There's something about this tower that makes it feel about 100 feet taller than it is. The massing is like some kind of crazy cross between Art Deco and "futuristic space ship."
Funny I get the opposite reaction. It looks 100 feet shorter 2 me. I think because it doesn't stand out like it once did.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 12:11 AM

Happy Holidays!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture