HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 1:36 PM

As much as I hate the new branding of the Nets (and those hideous cheerleader uniforms) the arena is a huge win to me, I love the architecture and the oculus in the plaza.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

I think this move, together with the new arena and everything that's going on in Brooklyn will be a very significant step up for the franchise. The arena already acts as a magnate to pull more people to the area, but it will be interesting to see how much that plays into the residential towers. I do believe that even without the arena, the towers would be built because demand is there. But I think the arena and everything it represents is an added pull. Proximity to Barclays Center is already a big sell. I do hope there is one tower dropped from the plan though, and that's "Miss Brooklyn", the one time focal point of the entire development.

mahhockey

cerdsp

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/10/11...2k-for-tickets
Streisand Returns to Brooklyn Tonight–Some People Paid $22K for Tickets

10/11/12
Roger Friedman

Quote:
Barbra Streisand returns to Brooklyn tonight. She’s playing the first of two shows at the new Barclays Center. Are the shows sold out? Let me put it this way: People who like people who like Barbra have stripped the place to the walls. There are a meager 750 tickets left on Stubhub.com, the secondary ticket seller (aka scalper). Most everything decent is gone. Prices are through the roof. For the front sections, people are paying thousands of dollars. For Saturday night’ shows, Stubhub is selling a few seats in Section Floor 1, right in front of the stage, for $22,000. That’s twenty two thousand dollars per ticket. And they will sell. They sold out for tonight. On Saturday Stubhub does have some cheaper seats for around $10,000.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...173767901.html
Traffic Alert in Brooklyn for Barbra Streisand Shows

October 11, 2012

Quote:
Brooklyn is bracing for major trafficThursday as fans travel to the Barclay's Center for the first of two sold-out Barbra Streisand concerts. A traffic alert has been issued by expert Gridlock Sam for Downtown Brooklyn along Flatbush Avenue from Tillary Street to Grand Army Plaza, and along Atlantic Avenue from the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway to Bedford Avenue. Both the MTA and the LIRR have added additional trains to accommodate the crowd after the show, which they also did after Jay-Z's stretch of concerts at the arena last week.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:03 PM
+

Is Barbara Streisand going to perform the 'Barbara Streisand Song'? If not, she can go to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vXT...eature=related

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I had no idea the Islanders were moving to Barclays

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I had no idea the Islanders were moving to Barclays
They aren't, at least not yet.

They're playing some games here (I don't know if both preseason and regular).

The Islanders may eventually move to Barclays, though there's also been serious talk about a new Islanders arena in Queens, or perhaps one near their current site on Long Island.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
New Yorker for life

All of the hysteria about massive traffic jams has proven to be unfounded. The arena's connection to massive public transportation is proving to be a major success.

http://transportationnation.org/2012...-traffic-test/

For Barbra, I’ll Take the Subway — Brooklyn’s Barclays Center Passes Second Traffic Test

By Alex Goldmark
10/11/2012

Quote:
What do Jay-Z fans and Barbara Streisand fans have in common? They both take mass transit. Long orderly lines of flamboyant ladies in finery stretched from subway steps to the flickering marquis of Brooklyn’s new Barclays Center arena for Thursday night’s Barbra Streisand concert. “I am in Brooklyn which is where I was born. I haven’t been here since I was born. I’m about 120 years old,” gushed Laura Slutzky of Manhattan, which she insisted on referring to only as New York City. “This is fabulous here. I took the subway, used my Metrocard for two-dollars and 25 cents. I was going to take a limo for $4,550 but this was much easier… I love Brooklyn, I love the whole thing.”

After the eight Jay-Z shows failed to cause vehicular mayhem, rendering all but irrelevant the “gridlock alert” that preceded opening night, many still feared the pedestrian calm was a fluke, that it was something about Jay-Z fans that predisposed them to use the 11 subway lines, 11 bus lines, the Long Island Rail Road or walk.

In fact it seems that at least 1/3 of fans on opening night got out at the subway station right below the arena, according to our analysis of turnstile data. The data isn’t in yet on the Streisand fans, but after chatting with a few of gaggles of giddy women of a certain age in front of the gates, it was clear, Barbra, as fans know her, draws a crowd from far beyond Brooklyn. And rather than drawing them by their usual mode of automobile, these groups behaved like the Brooklynites. When in Rome …

Robin Schrieber and her friend took an hour-long train ride on Long Island Rail Road, which stops right next to the arena. “We had to change at Jamaica…We had to walk up and over at Jamaica which we didn’t love, but it took us right here.” The LIRR arriving at 7:18 at Atlantic Terminal might as well have been called the Babs Express. “Everybody was going to the Barbra concert,” Schreiber said. “People we knew, people we didn’t know, everybody was talking to each other. No one knew where they were going, it was like ‘Are you going to Barbra?’ ‘Where do we get on?’ ‘Where do we get off?’ We all just kind of went en masse together.”

http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/49042

Barclay’s Center is Just the Beginning

By Chuck Taylor
October 9, 2012

Quote:
Ongoing concerns about Barclays Center’s overall impact on surrounding borough neighborhoods—including Brooklyn Heights—could rise from a low roar to a full-on battle cry, given the mammoth long-term plan that developer Bruce Ratner has in mind for the area. Located at the intersection of Flatbush and Atlantic avenues, Barclays is merely the first part to be completed of a planned 16-building complex that would include 6 million square feet of residential, 247,000 of retail and 336,000 of office space. In a lengthy story about the Atlantic Yards development, The Architects Newspaper reports that the as yet tallest modular construction building in the world—a 32-story residential tower—is slated to add to the Brooklyn skyline. An office building and possibly a hotel would round out the first phase of development, followed by eleven more residential buildings, eight acres of open space, and retail.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 2:18 PM
World Machine

Quote:
All of the hysteria about massive traffic jams has proven to be unfounded. The arena's connection to massive public transportation is proving to be a major success.
I think that was known from the beginning - and such a convenient and predictable argument that could and was made by those who opposed this project. I've yet to get down there, however based on what I've seen and heard the public transportation is doing the job well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is being nitpicky, but how cool would it have been for the architects to have planned better for the streetlights by incorporating the pole base as one of those stainless steel bollards. It would have been slick and seamless, instead on the dopey standard NYC pole base on such a fantastic new streetscape.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 6:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This is being nitpicky, but how cool would it have been for the architects to have planned better for the streetlights by incorporating the pole base as one of those stainless steel bollards. It would have been slick and seamless, instead on the dopey standard NYC pole base on such a fantastic new streetscape.
It's not clear that the City would allow that.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...Whsfvv8WiWzs6J

Barclays Center to use wands instead of metal detectors from now on

By RICH CALDER
October 14, 2012

Quote:
The Barclays Center yesterday announced it's dropping its policy of using airport-style metal detectors at all events “for the foreseeable future” — shortly after The Post reported that the new Brooklyn arena used them for Jay-Z concerts while the less intrusive metal wands were utilized for a Barbra Streisand show.

While some fans and city officials blasted the difference as a “double standard,” arena officials denied the different policy was racially motivated. “We utilized the first two weeks since the arena opened as an opportunity to test different security methods,” said David Anderson, Barclays Center General Manager. “After witnessing long lines during events in which we used walk-through magnetometers, we began to utilize hand-held magnetometers at the Barbra Streisand concert Thursday evening.

“We found that this strategy allowed for quicker access into the arena, while maintaining safety and security,” Anderson said.

Lori Savino, 43, who attended last night’s Streisand performance, said she’s glad the arena is adopting a consistent policy. “I think they should be consistent. Let’s not profile anyone,” the Long Beach, LI, resident said.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 15, 2012 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...A5dueJQF8kcxYO

A $lam dunk in Brooklyn: Net-Knick tix at $800

By RICH CALDER
October 23, 2012

Quote:
Welcome to Brooklynsanity. Tickets to the Nets’ first regular-season game at the new Barclays Center against the crosstown rival Knicks are commanding an average of $800.87 a pop on StubHub and other secondary-market sites.

The sold-out Nov. 1 contest is the hottest ducat for a Big Apple sporting event since the Yankees won the 2009 World Series, says Chris Matcovich of TiqIQ, which tracks secondary-market ticket prices. It even surpasses the $675.43 ticket average Madison Square Garden saw for a Knicks-Mavericks game in February, when Jeremy Lin was still a Knick and “Linsanity” reached its peak.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...ntic_yards.php

Construction Schedule and Rents Revealed for Atlantic Yards

October 23, 2012
by Jessica Dailey

Quote:
The schedule for the 14 residential Atlantic Yards towers is not quite what was originally proposed. During an investors meeting on Monday, Forest City Ratner Executive VP MaryAnne Gilmartin said that the seven towers over the railyards would not be built until seven others are constructed first. The news comes from Atlantic Yards Report, which notes that covering the unsightly yards was a key point in the approval of the project. To build over the yards, a giant platform, like the $800 million platforms needed for Hudson Yards, has to be built.

The first three towers will be built on the same block as the Barclays Center, with the first, B2, breaking ground on December 18. Forest City Ratner is still working to secure financing for the tower, which may or may not be modular—they can't decide. The second wave would bring four towers on the block next to the arena, between Sixth and Carlton Avenues. The final phase would see the seven towers over the railyards. All told, there will be 6,400 apartments.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 3:58 PM

Islanders Said to Be Going to Brooklyn, a Coup for New Arena

By CHARLES V. BAGLI and DAVID W. CHEN
Published: October 24, 2012

"The New York Islanders, who have played on Long Island since they began play in 1972, will move to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, officials with knowledge of the deal said on Wednesday.
Connect with NYTMetro

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for news and conversation.

Quote:
The deal was to be officially announced Wednesday afternoon at a news conference at the new arena in Brooklyn with Charles E. Wang, the owner of the Islanders, and Bruce Ratner, the owner of the Barclays Center.

Under the 25-year agreement, which has to be officially approved by the National Hockey League, the Islanders would move to the Barclays for the 2015-16 season.

The Barclays is already home to the Brooklyn Nets basketball team, which moved from New Jersey, and adding a hockey team would represent a major coup for Mr. Ratner. But unlike the Nets, the Islanders would keep New York in their name.

Mr. Wang has been eager to upgrade or replace the Islanders’ current home, the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y., which opened in 1972.

Last August, Nassau County voters, who pay among the highest local taxes in the nation, easily defeated a contentious proposal to spend $400 million to overhaul the arena."

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 4:06 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

^^^ WCBS-TV just reported it also. A news conference with mayor Bloomberg is scheduled soon.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Islanders Said to Be Going to Brooklyn, a Coup for New Arena

By CHARLES V. BAGLI and DAVID W. CHEN
Published: October 24, 2012

You just knew this would happen.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...EOnyL06hK4atnL
Islanders to move to Brooklyn by 2015: source

By DAVID SEIFMAN and RICH CALDER
October 24, 2012

Quote:
The Islanders are coming to Brooklyn.

Arena and team officials will announce later today that Long Island’s struggling NHL franchise will move to the Barclays Center by 2015 at the latest, sources close to the deal told The Post.

The Islanders' new deal with Barclays will be a 25-year lease, sources said.

Nassau County voters last year rejected a $400 million proposal to overhaul the aging building, where the Islanders have a lease to play until 2015.

Wang, Barclays developer Bruce Ratner, Mayor Bloomberg, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders GM Garth Snow, and Nets CEO Brett Yormark are all expected to be at 1 p.m. press conference to trumpet the move.

Barclays arena holds 17,732 seats for Nets basketball, and arena officials have said it could hold about 14,500 seats for hockey. It would be the smallest arena in the league, but the NHL said it doesn't have a minimum-seating requirement for its arenas.

The NHL’s smallest seating capacity for an NHL team is 15,015 at the MTS Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba, home to the Winnipeg Jets.

Nassau Coliseum seats 16,234, but the Islanders averaged 13,191 fans per game last season, ranking second to last in the NHL.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...175602151.html

NY Islanders Moving to Brooklyn, Won't Change Name

By Marc Santia
Oct 24, 2012

Quote:
"Who said the rivalry between the Rangers and the Islanders couldn't get bigger? Well it just did," Mayor Bloomberg said.

Pointing out that Brooklyn is geographically part of Long Island, Bloomberg noted the team name would not change.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ng-island-fans
Islanders moving to Brooklyn sure beats the alternatives for Long Island fans

By Brian Stubits
October 24, 2012

Quote:
So you can stop dreaming now, Quebec City and Kansas City. The Islanders aren't leaving the New York area. Instead, they are just going a few miles west on Long Island -- debate the semantics all you want, but Brooklyn is technically on Long Island -- and moving into the hip New York borough of Brooklyn to reunite with the NBA's Nets.

There are a lot of people who are upset today. The Islanders "leaving Long Island" -- OK, I'll concede Brooklyn doesn't feel like Long Island -- just doesn't sit right. They have a rich history in Nassau County with four straight Stanley Cup titles in the 1980s and they are Long Island proper's one and only remaining professional franchise. For that reason, it sucks. But, wow, could it be a lot worse.....Instead of moving somewhere far away, though, Islanders fans got the next-best alternative to something that wasn't going to happen; their team is staying in the area. In all honesty, Islanders fans complaining about the team moving from Hempstead to Brooklyn is like somebody complaining about the stain on the car seat from spilled coffee after your car is totaled. It seems awfully small in comparison.

Moreover, the Barclays Center is conveniently located. The Long Island Railroad runs right to it. Perhaps the commute will be longer for Islanders fans, but we're talking 30 miles, not 3,000 miles. I, like seemingly every American, have family on Long Island. I am fully aware that 30 miles there is misleading, but the fact that the new arena is right on a public transportation route is a huge bonus. It can help ease the pain of the commute. That doesn't even take into account the number of Islanders fans who might actually have their commute time diminished. It's not as if all Islanders fans live within 10 miles of the arena or to the east of it on Long Island. There are Isles fans who live closer to New York City, surely some in Brooklyn and Queens.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:31 PM
New Yorker for life

In 30 years, people will look back at this as a significant time in Brooklyn, when two professional sports teams are making the move after decades without one. In the beginning, this development was centered mostly on the battle between some of the locals, and all of the towers planned. But the arena itself is proving to be a pretty significant thing for Brooklyn as a whole, and the City itself. I think in time, even some of the critics of Atlantic Yards will come around, though some still try to find fault with any and everything related to it.

nycmayorsoffice

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Islanders owner Charles E. Wang and Mayor Bloomberg during today's press conference:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...b6d45f4aca.4b1

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:48 PM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
In 30 years, people will look back at this as a significant time in Brooklyn, when two professional sports teams are making the move after decades without one. In the beginning, this development was centered mostly on the battle between some of the locals, and all of the towers planned. But the arena itself is proving to be a pretty significant thing for Brooklyn as a whole, and the City itself. I think in time, even some of the critics of Atlantic Yards will come around, though some still try to find fault with any and everything related to it.

nycmayorsoffice

Nice! Another win for Barclays definitely. Two major sports teams, remember when people denied it all?

I do wonder though will the Islanders modify their logo. If you notice they cut out Brooklyn (and Queens). Though on the same Island 'Long Island' often refers to Nassau and Suffolk. Hopefully the do modify it to embrace it's new home. The name is fine.

Also the LED at the front in Barclays is so crisp! I thought that was a banner but I'm seeing it's actually a screen.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:57 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

With no major tenants left after the Islanders move, I have no doubt the Coliseum will be demolished. On the other hand, I wonder if the NIMBYs who originally opposed the Barclay's Center and those that still oppose the entire Atlantic Yards development have any regrets.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
I do wonder though will the Islanders modify their logo. If you notice they cut out Brooklyn (and Queens). Though on the same Island 'Long Island' often refers to Nassau and Suffolk. Hopefully the do modify it to embrace it's new home. The name is fine.
I thought the top of the "I" represented Jamaica Bay, but it can be interpreted either way. Maybe they should just put a star on to represent Brooklyn, that could pass. They don't seem to have plans to change anything.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/vie...1/Primary_Logo

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
I thought the top of the "I" represented Jamaica Bay, but it can be interpreted either way. Maybe they should just put a star on to represent Brooklyn, that could pass. They don't seem to have plans to change anything.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/vie...1/Primary_Logo

It could be now that I look closely at it. It would be nice to have a more actual representation of the Brooklyn addition or maybe I'm just taking this a little too literal. Regardless I'm still supporting the move.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 11:49 PM
New Yorker for life

It's ironic that the Knicks and Nets are playing a pre-season game at the Coliseum right now.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...hirt-for-that/

Pumped About Islanders’ Move To Brooklyn? There’s A Shirt For That

October 24, 2012

Quote:
On Wednesday, the Islanders announced they would be moving from Nassau Coliseum to Brooklyn’s Barclays Center in 2015.

And in the city that never sleeps, there’s already a T-shirt to commemorate the occasion. Local apparel company Crosstown New York made their newest creation available practically before the ink was dry on the Islanders’ new 25-year lease.

The shirt features two crossed hockey sticks and a puck with “BROOKLYN” proudly displayed front and center. The inaugural year, 2015, appears below. The original design was black and white, reminiscent of the Brooklyn Nets’ new look. It was soon joined by a team-colored orange and blue version.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction