HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 10:44 PM

SPRINGFIELD, MO | Queen City developments

Springfield, Missouri was founded in 1833 and since then the city has grown tremendously. In recent years that growth has been very evident within the ever revitalizing downtown core. With a population at 159,000 the city may seem small, but certainly packs a punch. Due to a strong economy and the success of four major colleges all located within downtown's reach, the city has grown quite steadily. Home to the headquarters of Bass Pro Shops, O'Reily Auto parts, Hammonds Hotel, and Prime Inc. The city also has a very vibrant culture and history. Once in competition with Nashville as the country music capital, also the city competed with New York City and Hollywood for the amount of original television programing each city was producing, Ronald Reagan debuted a few of his movies here at the Gilloz Theatre, Cashew Chicken originated here, and the birthplace of route 66 is home to Springfield. In this thread I'll be documenting any developments or construction that happen within the city.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 11:05 PM

A local developer, Bryan Properties, has spent 30 million into Bear Village. Bear Village are lease by bed dormitory style apartments focused on MSU students two blocks away to the east. The development has been quite successful, with most of the buildings completed and a completion date of 2017, bringing the total amount of beds up to 750 beds.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 11:32 PM

Beacon Student Housing is a Denver, Colorado based developer who has built The Beacon Commons and Suits for 8.55 Million. With 201 beds filled, it has been a success.

You can see the Bear Village development in the background, the two properties are along Kimbrough Avenue which create a really dense wall for about a quarter of a mile of 3 to 4 story buildings.

Last edited by Shwayze1994; Aug 21, 2016 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 11:44 PM

An Austin, Texas developer, Aspen Heights bought the abandoned Sara Lee bread bakery and built Aspen, a lease by bed apartment building aimed at students. With 564 beds and finished just two weeks ago at a cost of 26 million.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 11:52 PM

A local developer So El district LLC just finished its So El Districts Loft apartment building at a cost of 6 million. The buildings has a 600 foot commercial space and adds 40 rooms to the Springfield market.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:00 AM

5999 LLC is almost finished building the Brewery District Lofts. The lofts are an addition to the Springfield Brewing Company a local craft distillery and restaurant. The building will cost 2.4 million. The first floor of the building will have 4000 square feet split between office and retail, while the other two story's will be residential.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:02 AM

Springfield is a badass city. I do not care for St. Louis or Kansas City, but I don't mind going to Springfield. I really like the vibe and a bunch of cool people.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Springfield is a badass city. I do not care for St. Louis or Kansas City, but I don't mind going to Springfield. I really like the vibe and a bunch of cool people.
I moved here a year ago and I love it, there's always something going on and it still has a small town feel in the big city lol you really can't run out of cool interesting people to meet.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:22 AM

Hotel Vandivort is Springfield's first Boutique hotel. Built by John, Karen, and Billy McQueary, the two brothers enlisted local workers and artisans to turn a vacant Masconic Temple in downtown Springfield into their vision of a high end hotel. The hotel recently celebrated over a year downtown. The hotel is a hotspot for celebrities when they come to town to perform.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:30 AM

City Utilities recently finished construction of the new bus transfer station. The new station is located slightly outside of the downtown core, unlike the previous station which had outgrown it's use and location in the downtown's center. The station cost 4 million.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:36 AM

A Kansas city developer Jim Nichols recently finished a 15 million dollar renovation of Springfield's iconic Heer's Tower. The tower is the tallest building in the old city center. It sat vacant for nearly two decades. The building was originally a department store, but is now host to a tech start up at the ground floor and luxury living in the remaining floors of the tower.

Last edited by Shwayze1994; Aug 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:46 AM

Springfield based Vecino Group developed the old Woodruff Building in downtown Springfield into new apartments for young professionals and students. Considered Springfield's first skyscraper, the Vecino Group spent 15 million renovating the building into the current Sky 11 which recently opened in 2015.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:56 AM

Missouri State University recently finished it's new O'Reilly Clinic Health Sciences Center. A new three story building aimed at nursing programs and physician assistant studies. The building cost 19.5 million dollars.

I jokingly call this building the spaceship LOL

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 1:04 AM

A Springfield start up has recently been granted permission by Missouri State University to use 21 old grain silos for an urban vertical farming project. The start up plans to grow lettuce, mushrooms, and other vegetables using a water system.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 3:21 AM
Beer Stampede

Excellent!! I attended Missouri State University from 1990 to 1994. Back then, downtown Springfield was a dump. Very little interest was taken in improving the quality of the CBD. Most of the economic development took place a few miles south along Battlefield Avenue. It changed dramatically when I last visited back in 2008. Many of the old buildings were being transformed into lofts, the ball stadium was built, and many businesses relocated. It was great to see. I would like to return soon, and see what's happened since then. I also hope to see more pictures posted. Thanks!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:02 PM

No problem! Next weekend I'll try and tackle some of the other projects on the south and west side. Downtown is very much alive today, I live in one of the lofts currently and there's always some thing going on. This whole Pokemon Go thing has been huge for business downtown as well. You'd be blown away from all the development around the college.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 1:08 PM

Living above/next to a brewery sounds awesome yet dangerous at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalstl View Post
Living above/next to a brewery sounds awesome yet dangerous at the same time.
It's not like that, it's just a small operation and the brewery is at the opposite corner of the city block from the lofts. Although, it is awesome, their beer is really great. They have weird drinks too, like chilie and chocolate beer.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
A new concept hotel is slated to open in the city. The Best Western Vib will be different than all other lodging currently in the Queen City.

The entrepreneur behind the project hopes to capture a lot of business travelers, specifically millennials. Gordon Elliott already owns 13 properties in town and four in other cities, but this hotel will be different than anything in his portfolio.

"It's just really artsy. When you look at it, it's got glass, it's got colors, it's got spikes on it artistic. This one's going to have some features that are lit up that will make it look like it belongs in Chicago or New York," Elliott said of the new building slated for Sunshine Street just east of Glenstone Avenue.

The Vib is a new model from the Best Western hotel chain, designed with larger lobbies, lots of room to socialize, and smaller rooms. The hotel will be packed with high-end features, including a top-of-the-line fitness facility and grab-and-go food items in place of the breakfast buffet travelers may find at other hotels.

There will be high-tech features throughout, all all catering to the business traveler and the younger crowd.

"If I build it here (Sunshine Street near Glenstone), it is between all the marketplaces, the businesses , and I just thought about it a lot and said, 'It needs to go here,'" Elliott said.

Elliott said the entire project could be complete within one year.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/New-...387032471.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
The governing board of Missouri State University voted Wednesday to award a nearly $10.2 million contract for the construction of a new health and wellness center on campus.

Approval by the Board of Governors' executive committee means work on the new, multi-story facility can move forward.
The university is expected to break ground in October.
The new Taylor Health and Wellness Center is a $13 million project that will be funded almost entirely by bonds. The university was able to sell bonds for the project because students voted to assess themselves a student health fee.
MSU President Clif Smart said the existing center was established when enrollment hovered near 5,000. It now stands at 26,000 students.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...mpus/90779614/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations