HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Ok I tried to my first changes to Google Maps but received a "negative note" from two reviewers. Sour.

Manny, not sure if you know them. They were "Nancy" and "Nick C".

This is part of the reply I received. While I appreciate the lengthy comment, I don't agree with it. Terms differ from country to country.

"The thing to keep in mind here is that though Map Maker's terms for priorities sometimes overlap with official designations they are not completely synonymous. Though the MTO map may call this an expressway that doesn't necessarily mean that we consider it an expressway for our purposes... The length of road that you selected only has a ramp on on end connecting it to the freeway. We would expect to see at least a few more ramps or much more widely spaced at-grade intersections to consider this an expressway. Also, the speed, being only 80 kph for a large part, is too slow for an expressway."

"At most this could be a national highway."

Last time I checked the VMP isn't part of the National Highway system. Also all expressways in Ontario are 80-90km/h, just like the VMP.

Highbury also looks deformed right now. What is going on?

I doubt I'll ever make any map edits again. The unwillingness to replace the old with the new is startling.
Actually, the VMP is part of the National Highway System, believe it or not. I only know this because someone I know at the MTO told me.

I really wish people who know absolutely nothing about the Ontario road system and London's road network would butt out and let those of us who know how things work in this province edit the maps in the way that works for Ontario. The City of London considers it an expressway, the MTO considers it an expressway, what more do they want? Just because things are done one way in California or Europe doesn't mean the definitions are the same in Ontario. I know some parts of Mexico well but I'm not telling the locals there how their maps should look, unless there is a blatant error. Most of the two-lane national highways there are marked in orange, but who am I to say those are not expressways in their system?

Last edited by manny_santos; Nov 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 12:46 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
It's hard to prove to a moderator in California that a railway that existed when the Streetview cameras came through has since been abandoned and ripped up.
Take a photo of it and show them. Try harder to explain the situation to them. There is an abandoned rail line in Thunder Bay that appears on Google Maps as well and I doubt they'll be removing it any time soon. It took them a couple years to start showing our new highway.

I'm kind of surprised at how stubborn they're being with changes to the maps. They seemed like a more dynamic company.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:12 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Last time I checked the VMP isn't part of the National Highway system. Also all expressways in Ontario are 80-90km/h, just like the VMP.

Highbury also looks deformed right now. What is going on?

I doubt I'll ever make any map edits again. The unwillingness to replace the old with the new is startling.
The problem is the VMP does not have a consistent 80-90 km/h speed limit, in some places it is really just a glorified arterial, and along its entire length it is not grade-separated. I think it should definitely be labeled as an arterial and nothing else. Highbury vexes me though... why is one side controlled access and the other is not? How much sense does that make? What roads are there in the world that have such a characteristic?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:27 AM

I am sure there are fewer deaths at some interchanges now that they're not Clover Leafs, but I would like to see research into new left turn accidents. Did Ontario spend billions for marginal improvements in safety at the cost of efficiency?

Would it have been better to leave lower risk ones as are, and invest in a few full free flowing interchanges?

Some other provinces I have driven in have death traps for freeways Highway 1 in Vancouver is the worst.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
The problem is the VMP does not have a consistent 80-90 km/h speed limit, in some places it is really just a glorified arterial, and along its entire length it is not grade-separated. I think it should definitely be labeled as an arterial and nothing else. Highbury vexes me though... why is one side controlled access and the other is not? How much sense does that make? What roads are there in the world that have such a characteristic?
Originally Highbury was a Major Arterial in its entirety. I changed the expressway portion, both directions, to be an Expressway, and had it approved. It stayed that way for about a week. Then suddenly it changed to what is there now. As it turned out, someone named Angela changed the northbound lanes only, put down no comment, and someone else approved it for her.

I have submitted to change it back to the way it was.

Update: As of this evening, it has reverted back to a Major Arterial. I have reviewed the edit and I basically said that I don't know how they define an expressway in the United States, but by our standards here in Ontario it is an expressway. Everyone I know here calls it an expressway. It was even built with the intent of being part of a London expressway network.

Heck, the MapArt maps show it as a freeway.

If Highbury can't be an expressway, then I believe Allen Road in Toronto can't be an expressway either. I mean, it ends at an at-grade intersection!

Last edited by manny_santos; Nov 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Added update

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:27 PM
User Registered

Got an email this morning stating that the Google Maps imagery for London has been updated.

Not sure when it was taken (Google Earth can tell you) Ren II looks like it's topped out so maybe it was from summer this year?

Link: https://followyourworld.appspot.com/...dBijr04M&hl=en

Or https://maps.google.ca/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

they still have the Hyde Park Swastika on Google Earth shots. I shake with rage whenever I see it. How can it still be there?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Got an email this morning stating that the Google Maps imagery for London has been updated.

Not sure when it was taken (Google Earth can tell you) Ren II looks like it's topped out so maybe it was from summer this year?

Link: https://followyourworld.appspot.com/...dBijr04M&hl=en

Or https://maps.google.ca/
St. Thomas and at least part of Exeter, for the first time, have high-resolution imagery.

Windsor's imagery is going on five years out of date. The last imagery was taken shortly before the first demolition projects associated with the Herb Grey Parkway were carried out.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:10 AM
User Registered

Imagery date: September 27, 2013 (according to Google Earth).

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 1:44 AM

St. Thomas has the biggest difference, like coming out of the stone ages looking at their new imagery. Don't see Alma College burning anymore..

It's interesting seeing St. Thomas. Can see the scar of former railways and useless over/underpasses have on the town. Although in contrast the new train station and track can be seen on the imagery, but don't see anything on the street view

http://goo.gl/maps/CbUc8

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
St. Thomas has the biggest difference, like coming out of the stone ages looking at their new imagery. Don't see Alma College burning anymore..

It's interesting seeing St. Thomas. Can see the scar of former railways and useless over/underpasses have on the town. Although in contrast the new train station and track can be seen on the imagery, but don't see anything on the street view

http://goo.gl/maps/CbUc8
I noticed that as well, it's the first time we see a true up-to-date representation of the railways that are left in St. Thomas. Even though railways aren't as big a part of the city anymore, it's interesting to see what's left and what has been ripped up. It looks like some rail cars are still sitting in the old CASO yard, cut off and isolated from the rest of Canada's rail network.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:51 AM
User Registered

I was wondering why Western was so busy... Homecoming weekend. Check out TD Waterhouse Stadium.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Actually, the VMP is part of the National Highway System, believe it or not. I only know this because someone I know at the MTO told me.

I really wish people who know absolutely nothing about the Ontario road system and London's road network would butt out and let those of us who know how things work in this province edit the maps in the way that works for Ontario. The City of London considers it an expressway, the MTO considers it an expressway, what more do they want? Just because things are done one way in California or Europe doesn't mean the definitions are the same in Ontario. I know some parts of Mexico well but I'm not telling the locals there how their maps should look, unless there is a blatant error. Most of the two-lane national highways there are marked in orange, but who am I to say those are not expressways in their system?
the city of London knows nothing about traffic control and has never had a vision to bring us into this century in any sort of civil engineering. it's pathetic actually

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:59 PM

Traffic control in London is run by monkeys with levers. Uuu shiny lights.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:51 PM

Google Maps

Umm, I'm pretty sure that Google updates it's maps every year or so. I've seen their cars with cameras driving around a number of cities before. I'm sure the satellite images get updated as well just maybe not as often but it most likely takes some times to do so..
-Glen https://www.handymanreginask.com/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenH View Post
Umm, I'm pretty sure that Google updates it's maps every year or so. I've seen their cars with cameras driving around a number of cities before. I'm sure the satellite images get updated as well just maybe not as often but it most likely takes some times to do so..
-Glen https://www.handymanreginask.com/
The date stamp on Google streetview of the front of my house is 3 years old and my brother in law's place around the corner is 5 years old.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
The date stamp on Google streetview of the front of my house is 3 years old and my brother in law's place around the corner is 5 years old.
Yep June 2014 is the last streetview of my house, and can confirm it is that old as the picture has a tree which was removed that summer. Some other areas in our neighborhood have been updated to 2018 however.

That said the satellite view has been updated somewhat recently (you may need to clear your cache)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:48 PM

Google maps is not as good as it used to be. Even for navigation it can put you to risk. Driving in Hamilton the other day, on the just finished highway there, told us to go back and get off the highway all around and get back later. It did not recognize the road was freshly finished and so many other cars were already driving on it for days.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
Google maps is not as good as it used to be. Even for navigation it can put you to risk. Driving in Hamilton the other day, on the just finished highway there, told us to go back and get off the highway all around and get back later. It did not recognize the road was freshly finished and so many other cars were already driving on it for days.
Since they sunset MapMaker it does seem to take longer for updates to be made. As recently as last year I submitted a correction to a street in Toronto that had incorrect turn restrictions, and it took them almost 6 months to fix it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos