HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:18 AM
SkyTrain Nut

The secret is that wall was there already for the last 30 years.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 10:40 PM

Technically they've started work at New West station. The escalator from the bus loop up to the ticket / mall area is being taken apart now (first of four escalators to be replaced). Other than that nothing is happening at the station.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I sent out an e-mail asking about the overhead walkway connecting to nothing and the missing path above the bus loop. It's been sent on - I don't expect to hear an answer until after the weekend.

The new station houses have single up / down escalators from the ground to the platform - there is no middle landing to join an overhead walkway to. People hated leaving the current walkway in place and having to walk down stairs and then over to the new entrance.
I finally got one of my questions answered: Re the elevators "Two will stop at mid-level to access the new central passerelle. The third will be express between platform and grade level."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 12:44 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I hope that they only remove half of the existing passarelle, and leave the portion between Metropolis and the stairs to the sidewalk.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
I finally got one of my questions answered: Re the elevators "Two will stop at mid-level to access the new central passerelle. The third will be express between platform and grade level."
Thanks.

So I guess two elevators run only between the mid-level mezzanine and the platform (behind a bank of faregates on the mezzanine),
and the third runs only between grade and the platform with its own ticket machine and faregate at grade.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I hope that they only remove half of the existing passarelle, and leave the portion between Metropolis and the stairs to the sidewalk.
Not gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks.

So I guess two elevators run only between the mid-level mezzanine and the platform (behind a bank of faregates on the mezzanine),
and the third runs only between grade and the platform with its own ticket machine and faregate at grade.
I assume all three would do the full run, with two out of the three also stopping at mid-level. I sent a follow up e-mail so hopefully I'll hear more soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Here are the latest renderings of Metrotown Station. I can't find the link online anymore, but they're from Translink at the December 2014 open house.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:31 AM

Quote:
I assume all three would do the full run, with two out of the three also stopping at mid-level. I sent a follow up e-mail so hopefully I'll hear more soon.
I see, if the other 2 go to grade they could also be behind faregates at grade (and behind faregates on the mezzanine), but for someone boarding at grade, there's really no purpose to stop at the mezzanine, other than to pick up more passengers?

I suppose it could also be for passarelle users to get down to grade - although they'd need to have paid a fare since the elevators would have to be behind the faregates if they also go up to the platform.

I'm thinking of Canada Line elevators, where there is always a separation between uncontrolled elevator to/from street to outside the faregates and the elevator to the platform is always behind the faregates.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I see, if the other 2 go to grade they could also be behind faregates at grade (and behind faregates on the mezzanine), but for someone boarding at grade, there's really no purpose to stop at the mezzanine, other than to pick up more passengers?
I would have thought only one of the elevators would stop at the mid-level, but maybe they're expecting a lot of people to walk across the passerelle and then take the elevator up to the platform. Until we know how it joins up with the mall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Here are the latest renderings of Metrotown Station. I can't find the link online anymore, but they're from Translink at the December 2014 open house.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Not gonna happen.

I still can't see the actual elevators in that rendering. I am so blind. can someone point them out for me? I am really curious how 3 elevators are going to fit on the platform while having space for people to go around them to the end exists of the platform.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Those specked square and rectangle on the roof sure look like the top of the elevator shafts.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 4:48 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Those specked square and rectangle on the roof sure look like the top of the elevator shafts.
Haha good point

I'm still wondering if there will be escalators between the mezzanine/passerelle level and the platform level. Obviously they aren't required between grade and mezzanine, but having escalators from the passerelle to the trains might greatly reduce load on the elevators.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:17 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I received a reply from Translink, where they said that Ivanhoe Cambridge plans to remove the entire old passarelle. They also say that there will be 4 escalators in the new east station house:

Quote:
As you note the side connecting into the existing East Stationhouse, does have to be demolished, and would happen in spring 2016. While the East Stationhouse is closed passengers will be re-directed to the new Centre Stationhouse or West Stationhouse once it is complete in summer 2016. The contractor will rebuild the existing East Stationhouse, extend the platform level at the east end to provide for the new escalators, and install the four new escalators and the new Bike Parkade.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I received a reply from Translink, where they said that Ivanhoe Cambridge plans to remove the entire old passarelle. They also say that there will be 4 escalators in the new east station house:
I mentioned that last month from the open house.

I think, ultimately that they may relocate an entrance to the mall, seeing as how the door arrangement is actually causing the single door closest to the existing Passerelle to be used almost as the exclusive entrance, and all the rest of the doors beside it get ignored.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:03 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I mentioned that last month from the open house.

I think, ultimately that they may relocate an entrance to the mall, seeing as how the door arrangement is actually causing the single door closest to the existing Passerelle to be used almost as the exclusive entrance, and all the rest of the doors beside it get ignored.
I know lol. There are such traffic jams at the 2 nearest doors. Also I have long thought these should all be automatic sliding doors just for accessibility's sake. But maybe now if the Zara cut-through happens there will no longer be a need.

In any case they'd better make the new passerelle much wider and the area where it diverges to the 2 malls very obvious to navigate (i.e. with lines and symbols separating station bound traffic from mall bound traffic).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
I know lol. There are such traffic jams at the 2 nearest doors. Also I have long thought these should all be automatic sliding doors just for accessibility's sake. But maybe now if the Zara cut-through happens there will no longer be a need.

In any case they'd better make the new passerelle much wider and the area where it diverges to the 2 malls very obvious to navigate (i.e. with lines and symbols separating station bound traffic from mall bound traffic).
I finally heard something (well not really) back. It's on Burnaby and the mall how the passerelle joins up on the mall side. Apparently there will be updated renders sometime this year.

A short time line from the link below:
Phase one: Center Stationhouse (elevators) - now to next spring
Phase two: new West Stationhouse - this summer to next summer
Phase three: East Stationhouse - next spring to fall '17

http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and.../Overview.aspx

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:18 AM

It will be a "gong show" next summer with onyly 3 elevators servicing the entire station, as the East and West station will be closed!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:45 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
It will be a "gong show" next summer with onyly 3 elevators servicing the entire station, as the East and West station will be closed!
Lol. Let's hope there are stairs too.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:23 AM

Well with both the east and west station houses under construction, the only stairs will be in the Centre house.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
You are joking right? They will have stairs.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Technically they've started work at New West station. The escalator from the bus loop up to the ticket / mall area is being taken apart now (first of four escalators to be replaced). Other than that nothing is happening at the station.
I think that's just regular escalator maintenance. I got an email from TransLink the other day that implied that work hadn't started there yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure