HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^permeates Academia. At UWO, UWindsor is often disparagingly referred to as the "University of Last Chance", whereas for Brock U, the saying is like "If you can walk, you can get into Brock". Fanshawe rates somewhere between Central secondary high school, a call-centre, and good old "Westervelt College!"

If you heard the commercial for W-C, you know what I mean.
I came from Fanshawe and I have nothing to apologize for. A lot of very talented university-educated folk (including college post-grad, and P.Eng.'s) work for me.

Where I work, college and university grads work on the same level - the only difference is the colour of the trim of the diploma on their wall. I know some college-educated staff whom have the biggest projects of the season ($6M+), and some University grads who after several years on the job still need their hands held. I also know the same situation vice-versa.

Oh, and PS - my father went to Central. He graduated and walked up the street to London Life and got a job. He retired managing several dozen systems analysts - most university grads.

Oh and PPS - the project manager for the Wonderland Road N widening project is a high school grad.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I came from Fanshawe and I have nothing to apologize for. A lot of very talented university-educated folk (including college post-grad, and P.Eng.'s) work for me.

Where I work, college and university grads work on the same level - the only difference is the colour of the trim of the diploma on their wall. I know some college-educated staff whom have the biggest projects of the season ($6M+), and some University grads who after several years on the job still need their hands held. I also know the same situation vice-versa.

Oh, and PS - my father went to Central. He graduated and walked up the street to London Life and got a job. He retired managing several dozen systems analysts - most university grads.

Oh and PPS - the project manager for the Wonderland Road N widening project is a high school grad.
There are definitely some very good high school programs around London aimed at getting students jobs, as well as into college and university. Back when I was in high school there were co-op programs, and my school sent two students per year to (what was) The New PL. I knew someone who did a co-op at a funeral home.

Having taken MOS (formerly ACS) at Western and Business at Fanshawe, I would say that some of the graduates coming from Business at Fanshawe are more worthy of hiring than some the MOS graduates from Western. There are also clowns coming out of Fanshawe that I would never hire. Some of the business courses I took at Fanshawe challenged me more and taught me more than I ever learned at Western. Academically, do I regret going to Western? No, although I wish my degree was more focused on business and not diluted with unrelated courses in history, political science, philosophy, and psychology - those don't get you a job in today's globally competitive marketplace. I think it was still a good experience academically to get a degree from one and a certificate from the other. From what I remember at Western, MOS students tended to lack focus on their studies and spent more time on unrelated extracurricular activities, although this is a generalization.

As Snark said, the quality of graduates can go either way.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:25 PM

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../19540396.html

Well, the majority of those arrested, are in fact Londoners...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post

Of course. Let it be known that I do not partake in the uwo snobbery; I am merely conveying what I hear from some others. I come from humble origins myself. And put myself through education working for barely more minimum wage at McDonald's. (five years of semi-hell)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:48 AM

Western's turn to burn tonight apparently.

Listening to the Middlesex emergency services scanner website this evening. Fire and cops dispatched to a big party and bonfire at Epworth Ave. Perhaps there's a competition as to who can outdo each other.

Actually, I'm pretty surprised. Everyone should know that the cops are gonna be on a hairtrigger 'till the end of April.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos