HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:41 AM
BANNED

They should use HYPERLOOP and his cheaper tunneling system to build fast lines from cities to airports. I think doing that in NYC (JFK/LGA) and Chicago would be a good use of this tech. Both are cities where access to airports is relatively awful.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:42 AM
life is good

delete

Last edited by Eightball; Oct 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 12:56 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
They should use HYPERLOOP and his cheaper tunneling system to build fast lines from cities to airports. I think doing that in NYC (JFK/LGA) and Chicago would be a good use of this tech. Both are cities where access to airports is relatively awful.
That's not a bad idea. I could see cities around the world benefiting from this concept in similar ways. For instance, Shanghai has two airports (Hongqiao and Pudong) and they run a bus between the two for folks with connecting flights. There are metro connections also, of course, but those are incredibly long due to so many stops in between. A dedicated hyperloop line that went from Hongqiao to downtown to Pudong would be pretty fantastic, especially since Hongqiao also has an HSR station and a lot of folks ride HSR to Shanghai and then get to Pudong for an international flight. The maglev that they have from Pudong to *near* downtown is pretty great already, but doesn't quite do it.

Bangkok could benefit also (Suvarnabhumi to downtown to Don Muang).

Beijing is about to build another massive airport south of the city, so two major airports connecting to the city center and each other...

Many other Asian cities have their airports pretty far from the city. A singular line that could get folks to and from rapidly would be hugely advantageous - so long as the price is right, of course.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 10:10 PM

So, not a hyperloop or a rocket, but a truck.

Tesla is now offering a Semi Truck, and it comes with some really big claims. Like this one:
Quote:
Self-driving technology would allow the trucks to travel in convoys, where only the front truck would need a driver, making trucks cheaper than rail, Musk added.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1DG1LW

I'd like to ask the forum how credible is this claim - that a convoy of Semi Trucks could be cheaper to move bulk freight than rail?

What I'd really like to see is Tesla take a diesel-electric locomotive and replace all the space currently occupied by the diesel motor and fuel tanks and load it up with batteries. What sort of range could such a locomotive have, and how much would that reduce the price of rail freight?
(Let's assume that we're free to include the peripheral things that Elon always includes in his calculations, such as faster trip times, higher speeds up hills, and very little maintenance.)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:50 PM

So if your car was driverless and you knew where the semi was going you could tell the driverless car to follow the line of semis and you could go to sleep? That would be cool, except the truck driver in the front might need to stop to take a pee or take a break.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 9:04 PM

What Elon Musk Doesn't Get

http://www.governing.com/commentary/...s-angeles.html

Quote:

- Musk, like many people, apparently thinks of transportation simply as getting from one place to another. But as I wrote in my first book, How Cities Work: Suburbs, Sprawl and the Roads Not Taken, if you create a well-used new way of moving, you create a new way of living. Subways created subway cities. Streetcars created streetcar suburbs. The postwar interstates created linear cities along the superhighways’ spines. And Los Angeles’ elevated freeways and limited-access roads created sprawling neighborhoods below that, to this day, people both love and love to hate.

- With this in mind, you can see where Musk goes wrong. He talks of the built environment as if it were static -- as if you could have all of these tunnels going between places and nothing would change up on the ground. But of course if you had high-speed tunnels under Los Angeles, developers would build to dovetail with them: things like apartments, office buildings and retail. Churches and schools would spring up in new places. Musk envisions his tunnels as helping get people to Pasadena in minutes. But if these tunnels really work, then Pasadena would have new residents living there, and it and wouldn’t be like present-day Pasadena anymore.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 12:30 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
No shit.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:15 PM

Book a 700 mph ride on the hyperloop with this new app

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...irgin-ces-2018

Quote:

- Virgin Hyperloop One unveiled its new app, promising an end-to-end passenger experience. — In the app, passengers will be able to book a seat on the hyperloop, in addition to scheduling an Uber or Lyft to and from the hyperloop station. The app was designed using mapping consortium Here Technologies’ mobile software development kit, which includes mapping and navigation data from 136 countries, public transit information for more than 1,300 cities, and 3D indoor and venue maps.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:42 PM
TL;DR

Isn't that a little premature?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hyperloop draws all kinds of suckers in all kinds of ways...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:32 PM

Hyperloop Transportation Technologies signs first cross-state deal in the U.S.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/15/hy...eal-in-the-u-s

Quote:

- One of the two major dedicated companies pursuing the creation of functional Hyperloops (high-speed tunnel transportation that can zoom pods around in low pressure) has signed its first agreements that could lead to an interstate Hyperloop system. — The deal with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) includes agreements with both the North Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA) and the Illinois’ Department of Transportation (IDOT) to start work on a feasibility study, the first step of determining whether it’s even possible to build a route before beginning work in earnest. — The study will focus on determining the viability of a number of different corridors, all the with the goal of connecting Cleveland and Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:21 PM

Elon Musk’s Boring Company gets preliminary permit for NYC-DC Hyperloop

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/19/el...-d-c-hyperloop

Quote:

- A 29-minute trip from D.C. to New York may seem too good to be true. And it very well may be. But that isn’t stopping Elon Musk from pushing forward with plans to build a Hyperloop along the eastern corridor. And while it’s a very small, very vague step forward, Musk’s Boring Company has received a permit for preparation and preliminary excavation of a site in the nation’s capital. The exact location is 53 New York Avenue NE, next to a McDonald’s.

- This latest permit is far from what’s required to actually begin building the tunnel — which would run from New York to Philadelphia to Baltimore to D.C. — but it’s a start. Musk recently received a conditional permit to start operations in Hawthorne, Maryland for a 10.3 mile route. Maryland officials told WaPo that the tunnel would run under Maryland Route 295, with the D.C.-Baltimore leg being built first.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 10:38 PM
Paramoderator

ready for a hawthorne to hawthorne route

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:49 PM

This Audi Flying Car Could Hook Into Hyperloop, and It Looks Great

https://www.inverse.com/article/4198...ng-car-modular

Quote:

- Airbus and Italdesign have revealed a new version of their Pop.Up Next modular flying car system, and they’ve now got Audi on board. The latest version of the car, unveiled Tuesday, shows several improvements in the 12 months since its initial debut. At its core, the vision remains the same: an autonomous pod powered by artificial intelligence that combines flying, driving, and possibly even hyperloop, to get passengers around a city. — The pod, measuring 8.7 feet by five feet and standing 4.6 feet high, is at the heart of this plan. It’s a two-seater design weighing 441 pounds, with a human-machine interface system that can track eye movements, recognize faces and offer on-board services through a 49-inch touchscreen.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Just make something practical for crying out loud!

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:51 PM

Something that you don’t have to say I’m not saying it’s aliens but it’s aliens.

For six years I’ve been all about electric motorcycles/ scooters and electric enclosed motorcycles. Still haven’t seen one. Soon we’ll aee electric scooters at least

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:32 PM

Elon Musk, on Twitter:

Quote:
Adjusting The Boring Company plan: all tunnels & Hyperloop will prioritize pedestrians & cyclists over cars
[...]
Will still transport cars, but only after all personalized mass transit needs are met. It’s a matter of courtesy & fairness. If someone can’t afford a car, they should go first.
[...]
Boring Co urban loop system would have 1000’s of small stations the size of a single parking space that take you very close to your destination & blend seamlessly into the fabric of a city, rather than a small number of big stations like a subway
[...]
I guess you could say it’s a 150 mph, underground, autonomous, electric bus that automatically switches between tunnels and lifts. So, yes, a bus.
Also, this video:
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/...222273/video/1

Well. If pedestrians are his point of focus now, not cars, I'm suddenly much less annoyed by the existence of the Boring company. I didn't realize I was so ideologically motivated, but there it is: once pedestrians are the focus, I'm no longer against this project. I still hope he doesn't waste more time on this project than his other companies can afford, but as a side project I wish him the best.

Dig deep, Elon!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 1:44 AM

That’s a good idea, that would go well with my train idea. In the thread if a city was built around bikes. You can’t really build those trains in most cities without demolishing some stuff because they take up a lot of room though.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:31 AM

you cant fit many people in the hyperloop and you cant see out a window. wouldnt it be better to stick jet engines on a double decker train? then it could go 1,000 mph.

hyperloop would be good for getting to a fast train though.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:53 PM

https://newatlas.com/hyperloop-trans...-france/54217/
Pieces fall into place for new Hyperloop test track in France

Startup Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) has been quite busy signing deals to explore the potential of high-speed transport routes all around the world, but has little in the way of functioning prototypes and test tracks to show for it. That seems about to change, with the company welcoming the tubes that will make up its first test track in Toulouse, France.

That might be good for Europe.
But I think it's a bad idea here, underground you are like being in the air, you can't see anything most the time on a planes and you have to miss stops or take all stops (connecting flights suck and so does stopping or going past a stop on a train). Above ground you can have a train that runs along a train and brings people to a stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation