HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:17 PM

Stephen Harper plans announcement in Edmundston

Prime Minister Stephen Harper will make an economic development announcement at the Edmundston campus of the University of Moncton on Friday.

Story on:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...dston-521.html

Should be, and is, the long awaited Northern Hardwood Research Institute.

Last edited by theshark; May 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:16 PM

Caribou mines has been sold again, but this times see's a better chance of re-opening. Trevalis resources bought the mine for the ore mill that it has, They are operating the halfmine mine between Bathurst and Miramichi so with the closure of the Brunswick, they had to find another place to process the ore.

The payroll center in Miramichi had started its operation, 145 persons work there as of now. It will eventually employ a total of 550. It is located in the miramichi mall for now.

And IPL plastics of Edmundston got a 3 million grant to developp a new plastic container that is aimed at replacing tin cans.These are to be produced at the Edmundston Plant.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:21 PM

Industrial rubber company in Big River near Bathurst is going to create about 35 new jobs, thanks to a partnership with a german company who won the bid to refurbish german military leopard 2 tanks, they will provide....as you guessed, rubber components.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 3:56 PM

A few from the north

Dalhousie -- Rumours are rampant again, this time from the mayor's office that a bio fuel plant is trying once again to set foot in Dalhousie. -- Same company that approached them in 2009 but failed to obtain certain certificates from the province to get the go ahead...we will wait and see.

Bathurst -- New National Bank bulding coming along on St-Peters, they destroyed and eyesore to build this so thumbs up!!

- New hotel and convention center downtown will be a 4 story high best werstern, construction is scheduled to begin in August.

- New construction near St-Hubert on St-Anne street, could be the long awaited subway that had been said of going in that area, from what geonb shows, 880 St anne would be about the good size for that (that would be the 5th property to go up on that street in the last 2 years)

Miramichi -- The Arbec Forest product plant is back in action and trucks loaded with wood are pulling in the yard. That is the old Weyerhaeuser plant that shut down about 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 12:02 AM

Well finally decided to get a photo hosting account, so here are my few first pictures of Bathurst

New Ford dealership on St-Anne st.

New Dentist and co-operators office on St-Anne st.

New Medical office on St-Anne st.

Suway restaurant in construction on St-Anne st.

St-Hubert Express on St-Anne st.

New National Bank building

Site of the future Best Western and convention center( it will not take the whole lot)

Veterans bridge from observation tower

Downtown from Observation tower

Promenade waterfront

Chateau Bathurst before conversion begins

Downtown

Well should me more colour on the page in the future, hope you enjoy!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
haha they drive up and down and park and talk.

On another note, here is what the new Armoury will look like In Edmundston:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...mundston.shtml

I suspect it will only be the entry for a super secret facility under the mountain!

And the Grey Rock Power Center (located besides the Edmundston Hospital and the TCH) is taking form, the truck stop is already in construction and slated to open this summer and the reserve has hired a consultant to find tennants, mostly aiming at stores that are not in the region already. About 20 lots are available.
Well, I am back after being gone for a while. For the Grey Rock Power Center, they have brought in the firm Cushman & Wakefield, you guys may also know them from previous projects as the Moncton Power Center. Kinda gives an idea on who they want to bring in as tenants by the previous projects that C&W have done elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 1:20 AM

HHaaaa D3nZ! Glad to see that you are back, at least that makes two of us covering the north, I wont feel so alone hahaha, anything new in the Capitale de la republique?? heading there to visit the parents in the next few weeks.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 10:47 PM

Not a whole lot no. I was at the new sacred land earlyer for the unveiling of the new Malicite sacred land. Very nice place along the Saint John River. The Midas building on Victoria Street was recently bought and I had seen postings on Career Beacon that they were looking to come back in the Edmundston Region.

Lots going on for the Foire Brayonne but unfortunately that festival has lost it's spark over the past 10 years. They should totally re-think of the concept of the Foire. I would personally have it a 3 day (not a 5 day) event to make the most out of their money. Unless it's a big city like Montreal, Québec or Toronto you can't have successful 5 day events there days. When you think that they used to have big artists in the 80's and now they can barely have a decent artist to perform there, it's not a good sign. Either you are spending your money elsewhere, or you are getting ripped off by the artists. (P.S. I am positive it's the first choice.) There is too much stuff going on at the same time everywhere in the city. You need to have one event in a central area and you have to try to bring everyone there at the same time, not have everyone spread out around the city.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:19 PM

Good to hear for Midas,they are trying a come back all over the province, at least the two garages on that part of Victoria where picked up for something, is go glass still running??

Yes the fameuse foire. I agree it lost steam in the last few years but would not necessarely cut it down to 3 days. by having more days, it leaves a little bit more place for the local and regional artists to make theire stints. The thing with the big concert in the 80's is that the on price all access pass was not there, I remember you could buy tickets for the show you wanted or the whole ticket book for all the shows but each show was individually priced. And the artists where not as greedy as some are today. Most of the artists for the big shows are not playing for under $25 000 for the night.

The thing where I saw they missed the boat was when they had Collective Soul last year, or the year before. Ok maybe they are not as mainstream today as they used to be in the previous years but still its a big name. The artists are anounced in the spring usually....and I only heard commercials about it in July in the Bathurst region, at this time, most of the peoples summer are already planned. And of course, they did not have the turn out that they expected.

If you are going to get a band like that....Promote it!! not 1 month before the show, as soon as you know they are comming. These guys have fans that will travel to see them, but if you can't reach them, they will not come. Maritimes, eastern quebec and the state of maine should have been targetted more IMO.

On other things, another empty spot found a taker in the Bathurst Mall, Le Grenier, womens clothing is presently in construction and looking for employees, they took the empty spot next to Zellers, the future big empty spot. Management of the mall said they have talks with potential tennants to take the zellers space and some would already be lined up but no words on who.

What is going on with the mall in St-Basile... seems like they where going good for a time and now, from what I can see on the Rio Can website, they back at what they used to be 15 years ago, almost empty! Loosing Zellers is going to be a big hit for them.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 1:19 AM

Well it looks like Parent Tire Sales bought the old Midas building. I've seen their trucks there the last couple of days but I am not sure what they are gonna do there. The St-Basile Mall is pretty dull now and the main tenant will be Staples since Zellers will probably be closing before the end of next year and Staples are more and more moving into single building stores and are less and less attached stores. I would not be surprised if the place would be closed off in a couple if years and I would not be surprised if Staples would move to the Grey Rock Power Centre. I have not heard anything about what other stores will go to the Grey Rock Power Centre, but I have heard everything from of a Burger King, a hotel, a car dealership, a hardware store and also rumours of a Costco. But I also heard that there are talks of building a Costco in either Rivière-Du-Loup or Rimouski.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:05 AM

Yeah Costco is pretty much a rumour in every town around this area...I don't see one happening soon, they just opened 2 new locations and they are going to wait to see the numbers for a few years before going ahead with more, I don't remember where but I have heard of a new concept for Costco for smaller areas, a smaller Costco.

Yeah the grey rock!, good emplacement, just hope they will wait to find tennants before building the stores. Would not send a good signal passing by and seeing 15 empty storefront....

Rio Can has been the worst news ever for the rural area shopping malls. Look at the Madawaska center, they demolished their property near Bathurst since there was no more tennants, the Miramichi location does not look better either...Just wondering what the hell are they thinking. Other malls are just fine but all the ones they touched...

Does anyone know what has been built behind the Wal Mart in Miramichi??

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:06 AM

Ho and also heard from my Parents of a St-Hubert Express for Edmundston, have you heard anything about that?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 9:21 PM

I have heard rumors of a St-Hubert Express (I would really like that), but nothing official so far. Heard of them going to Grey Rock, but like I said, I think everything had been brought up as a possibility for that Power Center.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 3:20 PM

If you look in the Info week end, the owner of the new Shell Big Stop in Grey Rock speaks of a popular chain of restaurant in Quebec that she will add to the big stop, but does not want to disclose anything until finalise, talking about a new addition to the region, might just be it!

Link to the online paper here, its on page 4 and 5.
http://www.infodimanche.com/journaux...html#/6/zoomed

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 3:17 PM

Well conventions will return in Edmundston, a group of local business people bought the Clarion hotel, it will temporary be rebranded back to le Chateau Edmundston until renovations of the order of 2.5 millions are done to the whole hotel and restaurant, then it will start its new journey as a four points by Sheraton and it will take care of the running of the convention center.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Really; a Sheraton branded hotel for Edmundston...thats certainly good news!

Good stuff!!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 4:18 PM

Indeed, was surprised when I heard the new branding of the hotel!

On other news, looks like things are becoming more and more concrete towards a St-Hubert Express in the Grey Rock Power Center, (D3nZ you won't have to go to R-D-L anymore to get a nice quarter chicken!!)

Facilicorp NB wich takes care of over the phone tech support for New-Brunswick hospitals is consolidating its operation in Edmundston. They say this way every hospital will have a 24/h tech support available. About 20 positions will be relocated to Edmundston in the next 2 years.

And Construction is slated to start on the Best Western in downtown Bathurst next month.

Last edited by theshark; Sep 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:45 PM

Bldv Hebert in Edmundston will eventually meet the power road near where the new JODIN residences will be built, the developpment of the road is made to Facilitate the commercial and residencial developpment in the area. An information session will be held on the 16th of october.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Indeed, was surprised when I heard the new branding of the hotel!

On other news, looks like things are becoming more and more concrete towards a St-Hubert Express in the Grey Rock Power Center, (D3nZ you won't have to go to R-D-L anymore to get a nice quarter chicken!!)

Facilicorp NB wich takes care of over the phone tech support for New-Brunswick hospitals is consolidating its operation in Edmundston. They say this way every hospital will have a 24/h tech support available. About 20 positions will be relocated to Edmundston in the next 2 years.

And Construction is slated to start on the Best Western in downtown Bathurst next month.
Very good new indeed, I do like my St-Hubert chicken! As for Grey Rock, apparently they are having discussions with over 50 possible stores.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:19 PM

wow 50 stores!?!?, I hope theese are new ones and not just relocations..any speculations going around on store names other than Costco?? haha..

There should be a 20 000 square foot entertaiment venue built on the site also according to the Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic website...Can't wait to see who will set up shop there..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces