HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:15 AM

Maybe I am just a big fan of spires, but I think something like the spire on the NYT Tower (but thicker) would do a lot for this proposal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Maybe I am just a big fan of spires, but I think something like the spire on the NYT Tower (but thicker) would do a lot for this proposal.
I was actually thinking the same thing. The spire really helps the NYT Tower...it looks too short and pudgy otherwise.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 9:09 PM

Seems like some good news, from CurbedSF: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...eader_comments

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 10:42 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Seems like some good news, from CurbedSF: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...eader_comments
933 pages better be adequate

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 1:29 AM

What is the latest greatest on Transbay as we approach the month of December?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:13 AM

I am always interested in the future of this site and I would love to have a news update, especially a photographic one of S.F. Transbay! Thank you in advance and an early Merry Christmas to you all!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

tommaso, you might want to bookmark these links:

Project website

Webcams

Contractor's website

You can keep up with the latest project status through those links. It's not visually interesting at the moment as they are still shoring the site, moving utilities, etc. Once full-scale excavation starts, it will probably become more interesting and you'll see more photo updates in here. For now, there's not much to see.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:14 AM

A holiday gift worth savoring in sumptuous stages: S.F. Transbay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
tommaso, you might want to bookmark these links:

Project website

Webcams

Contractor's website

You can keep up with the latest project status through those links. It's not visually interesting at the moment as they are still shoring the site, moving utilities, etc. Once full-scale excavation starts, it will probably become more interesting and you'll see more photo updates in here. For now, there's not much to see.

Merry Christmas to you too!

I'm on board with this plan peanut gallery! How many times can I say wow when I gaze in awe at this Transbay Redevelopment Plan! It's a pain waiting a while to feel a tangible sense of progress, but excavation of the site is progress and soon we will have more construction updates to look forward to. One thing I've learned from the World Trade Redevelopment Plan is that progress is measurable in steps and that a succession of steps leads to the sense of satisfaction that we get when the greater picture begins to piece together. Due to this example, I fully realize that S.F. Transbay will be a wonder in time and that the smaller steps are just as sumptuous as the larger ones!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:59 AM
Surrounded by Nature

The worrisome thing now is that it may just end up being a glorified and over priced bus station with no high speed rail or Caltrain.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 7:36 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

How does the largest new train station under construction in the United States not have any photo updates of the construction project?!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:21 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The worrisome thing now is that it may just end up being a glorified and over priced bus station with no high speed rail or Caltrain.
you mean instead of the tower?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^No, he means instead of having HSR and CalTrain come right into the station. The tower will get built someday, it just might be a long wait.

^^Zilfondel - read my post 3 above yours. There's not much to shoot other than a lot of dirt (not even a hole). That will change soon as excavation is supposed to start in early 2012.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:52 AM
DENNAB

How long a wait are we talking? I was under the impression that the 1070 foot tower along with the 900 footer would start sometime this year or the next.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That's up to Hines. They'll build it when they believe the market is right and have the funding to do so. There is also the matter of approval of the Transbay District plan which raises height limits in the area. That should be approved sometime this year, I think. I've read that demand for office space, especially class A, is getting stronger. That will certainly accelerate Hines' plans. However, there are several other office projects that are already approved and entitled that could gobble up that demand. If so, Hines might wait until the next building cycle. I personally think that's what will happen, but that's just a guess from a layman.

Keep in mind, the tower (which is driven by Hines) is a totally separate project from the terminal (which is driven by the TJPA) though designed by the same architect. The terminal is at the site prep stage right now. Later this year, it will be officially under construction (per SSP's definition) when they start building the subterranean train box.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 8:05 AM
DENNAB

more height limits? I thought the building was chopped down to 1070 because 1200 was too tall, but 1070 ok...

I guess it doesn't look to good for that tower then if they can just build a bunch of smaller developments, but the design is so amazing

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:39 AM
Surrounded by Nature

I think you are exactly right peanut--I really want to see my favorite three approved projects all built in the next cycle though.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 7:16 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm guessing two of those are 535 and 350 Mission? What's your third, that big project at First and Mission? Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that's gone all the way through the approval process. Those would be my top 3. I'm going way off topic, but on the residential side I mostly want to see any of the proposed Rincon towers get built just so ORH has some company.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:29 AM

so, i can see just a fraction of the transbay site from my office, pretty much a portion of the lot behind 555 mission. i'd say its just about read for a photo update.

they have ceased (for the time being at least) just digging, and have flattened the ground maybe 20+ feet below street level. Just in the past week or so, they have put some large pipes (at least 50-60 ft) in the ground, with maybe 8 ft above ground, and appear to be filling them with some sort of cement mixture. its hard to tell exactly what's going on, and no clue what's going on except for my edge of the worksite.

but certainly looks like something more interesting is getting close.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:36 PM

It looks like Hines is moving forward with the tower portion of the project and is saying it could break ground as early as the end of next year. Wishful thinking? The good news is they seem to be determined to get this thing built sooner than later.

Quote:
(03-12) 11:00 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- The long-dormant proposal for a skyline-busting skyscraper next to the Transbay Terminal has come back to life - a bit slimmer and shorter, but still aiming to be San Francisco's tallest tower.

The glassy white high rise would be 60 stories and 1,070 feet tall with an entrance at First and Mission streets, according to new plans submitted to the city. It would contain 1.35 million square feet of office space and be accompanied by a half-acre public plaza.

The proposed height would extend 220 feet above the Transamerica Pyramid, which was completed in 1972 and is the city's tallest tower.

The filing is another sign that developers are confident the technology-driven revival of the city's economy is real and that there is a looming need for more commercial and residential space.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1ovdhJdb0

New renderings:

Source: www.sfgate.com

I like the crown:

Last edited by 1977; Mar 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:46 PM

Excuse the dumb question in advance, but what's the office market like in SF? Are there any big tenants looking for new space? If this question has been answered already, I apologize.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development