HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:19 PM

Apparently LEN (http://len4all.com) is relocating from Toronto to 257 James North. Open in July. Looks like a great fit.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 3:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

So this is a bit off topic but I am trying to write an article about how to make hamilton better - I'd love your thoughts - I will post it from facebook:

"So fellow hamiltonians, I need your help!

I try to stay active in hamiltons community, and its ways of trying to make hamilton better.. and I hear lots of people moan and groan that hamilton is no toronto, and that there is nothing to do in hamilton.

I want to do an article on how to restore hamilton to the 1940s/1950s glamorous entertainment city it once was, once considered on par with toronto, and I want your ideas on what hamilton needs to get it there. What did it have that it no longer has? What is it missing? What do other cities have that we don't or no longer do? What would you LIKE to see hamilton build (no lrt discussion please lol) or see be available to do in hamilton to make the city shine once more?

With a lot of new developments and building reconstruction going on, the focus is now on hamilton as a growing arts and creative city. However the people who support big artists are not in this city yet, so you have an oversaturation of artists selling to a market that is largely uninterested.
So what are your thoughts? I will list a few that I have:

1) Focus on teaching people the forgotten art of stone masonry and stone cutting. One of the huge elements of hamilton is its old buildings. People WANT to see buildings with character. There are tons of crumbling buildings that either need their stone and brickwork replaced, cleaned, or repaired. In addition the city needs NEW buildings with architectural elements. If you make all new buildings concrete and glass you will lose the soul of your city. The focus has to be on combining the old with the new, and not just with existing buildings like the royal connaught or the old capitol theatre, but new buildings that go up.

Concrete and glass buildings age terribly over time- but combined with stone the look can be timeless. It doesn't take much -an expensive stone facade here- fancy arches there, fancy brick patterns big windows, SOMETHING that says "we took the effort to make this not look like every other building out there"

but you can't do that atm because there aren't specialized people locally who can do it - people state it's too expensive, yet look at our city: even the POOREST buildings had expensive architectural elements added to them, because back then people CARED about the artisanry of the city! Think about it! Hamilton is supposed to be the creativity hub, you have a city full of artists, why not teach them how to work with stone and help you out? Architects could commission artists to help add elements to their buildings for a fraction of the cost they would giant stone firms - just state the look they want and have people carve away to have it done - they did it in rome!

so what are your ideas?"

feel free to comment on the post on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/shawn.dall/...61?pnref=story

or in my facebook group: project revitalize hamilton:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4983...7835803312085/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:54 PM

Redchurch Cafe and Gallery opening in Gore park

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTWyTC-B5YM/

https://www.redchurchcafe.com/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:11 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Redchurch Cafe and Gallery opening in Gore park

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTWyTC-B5YM/

https://www.redchurchcafe.com/
hmm all these renos on king street with the LRT looming.. I hear they are going to be tearing down about 90 buildings..

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
hmm all these renos on king street with the LRT looming.. I hear they are going to be tearing down about 90 buildings..
Hearing is one thing...evidence is another Do have any references for this?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:15 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Hearing is one thing...evidence is another Do have any references for this?
yes I do. 2 at least - there are the "cher" pdfs which have to do with the cultural heritage - those can be referenced in this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=228168

also in that thread is a link to another thread on another site where they discuss about buildings to be removed - also there are pdfs that show pictures of buildings that are clearly in conflict with the stops proposed by lrt.

so yeah there are a few references. In addition there was a proposed image a whole back that showed actual building changes - pretty much wherever a stop is planned for the lrt things are going to either change or be demolished and rebuilt.

Also, as I work for rogers, there is direct reference from the city itself telling us this from the city meetings we go to, as we need to reroute cable utilities for this massive projects so everyone along this stretch is still fed for cable. Ultimately if there are changes we will get site drawings that show where these buildings are, and I will post them eventually if I get them before anyone else.

Redchurch Cafe should be fine though as the lrt is going on the north fork of king street not the south fork, and I don't believe they are going to be demolishing any of the buildings in the direct downtown core.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:16 PM

Spallacci Proposes Three Tall Buildings at John Street South and St. Joseph's Drive

By Joey Coleman // @JoeyColeman Published: May 07 2017

Following quickly on the successful redevelopment of the Royal Connaught and 101 Locke condominium developments, Spallacci Homes is in the early stages of applying to the City to build three tall buildings across from St. Joseph's Hospital at 299-307 John Street S and 97 St. Joseph’s Drive.

City staff describe the proposal as:

Applicant proposes to construct 3 residential towers from 23-31 storeys with 948 units.

Urban Solutions has been retained as the planning consultants on the project. The firm has a track record of publicly releasing all its planning materials once they are available as submitted to the City. https://urbanshare.info/

The application is currently receiving its first staff reviews.

As a point of comparison, the nearby Olympia Condos at 150 Charlton Avenue East is 98 metres tall (322 ft) with 33 storeys.

https://now.thepublicrecord.ca/2017/...josephs-drive/

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:23 PM

Effort Trust planning infill at Beverly Hills apartments. This will need a thread.

Renders/docs in link below

http://beverlyhillsapartments.urbanshare.info/

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:52 PM

Awesome, I'll make a thread right now

Edit: Done ---> Beverly Hills Apartments | ? | 18 fl | Proposed

Last edited by thomax; May 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:27 PM

Huh. I live at 130 St. Joseph's Drive. Is 97 St. Joseph's Drive that park like space right at the corner of John and St. Joseph's Drive? I think Spallaci owns that weird apartment building on John beside it which used to be a nursing home.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Huh. I live at 130 St. Joseph's Drive. Is 97 St. Joseph's Drive that park like space right at the corner of John and St. Joseph's Drive? I think Spallaci owns that weird apartment building on John beside it which used to be a nursing home.
Correct...this is a huge chance to 'urbanize' that corner. Maybe even get rid of the ridiculous freeway guard rail on the sidewalk. I've always wished for more of a Montreal vibe when one comes down the Jolley Cut from the Mountain...the weedy corner lot and that odd apartment you mention with a giant parking lot is such a poor use of land right downtown. Great potential with this project.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:11 PM

CBC Hamilton

It's our birthday and we'd like you to come to the party!

CBC Hamilton is turning five and we're marking the occasion Friday, May 12th with an Open House from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. during Art Crawl.

We'll have balloons, cake, coffee, CBC prizes plus a look back at some of our most memorable stories from the past five years.

Join us at our station: 118 James Street North.

We've seen tremendous success and growth over that time and have been fortunate to receive strong support from the community and people like you.

Please drop by and celebrate with the CBC Hamilton team.

Rick Hughes
Executive Producer

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:43 PM

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but it looks like they're about to start construction on the light industry park at Victoria N close to Burlington where the old Studebaker factory was.

Last edited by interr0bangr; May 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:45 PM

Exciting! I'm pretty sure the developer is/was UrbanCore developments

http://urbancore.info/?mtheme_portfo...a-ave-hamilton

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 5:24 PM

Came across this online. The image is captioned "Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre"

Source: http://cumulusarch.com/patsy/

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:08 PM

Just trying to collect all the taller buildings which are currently being proposed... Beyond these, are there other 25+storey proposals I'm missing?
-John St S/ St Josephs Dr (at least one of three towers, 31)
-Royal Connaught (two of the phases, 36 and 33)
-20/22 George St (33)
-45 King St E (25 fl & 34 fl)
-Connolly (30)
-Not sure if Upper James/ Stonechurch counts as proposed
-Presumably there will be a TV condos addition to this list shortly

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:14 PM

That phrasing 'urban core' is something I haven't encountered in other cities. To me, it has a distinctly negative ring to it - never been a fan.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
That phrasing 'urban core' is something I haven't encountered in other cities. To me, it has a distinctly negative ring to it - never been a fan.
I think it's called that cause UrbanCore is developing it?

EDIT: Okay maybe I'm wrong

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:27 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I gotta agree....it doesn't sound very....hmm...legitimate in some regard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton