HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:00 PM

When Ottawa mimics Toronto. They are meant to be in the Byward Market temporararily but why not place them somewhere permanently, as they did in Toronto? Perhaps not in the Market, but they could eventually be put somewhere along the canal.

Narcity

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:18 PM

/\ isn't the sign in Toronto falling aparts because it was suppose to be temporarily and it needs repairs ? I can't find it it, but I read an article about that recently.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:31 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
/\ isn't the sign in Toronto falling aparts because it was suppose to be temporarily and it needs repairs ? I can't find it it, but I read an article about that recently.

I wouldn't say falling apart, but the vinyl wrap on the inner surface of the letters is becoming quite tattered. They have been waiting until warmer, dryer weather to put the new wrap on. A permanent sign is in the works but not sure what the timelines are. Some of our more moronic councillors don't like spending money on anything that vaguely resembles art.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 8:37 PM
Urban Advocate

Neat thread. Just found it.

Here is one from last the last couple of weeks in Edmonton. It reminds me a little of Alex Calder's famous 'Flamingo' sculpture in Chicago, albeit a lot smaller.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

http://yegarts.tumblr.com/post/15874...-alex-decoteau

Soaring 15 feet above the new Alexander Decoteau Park, Canadian artist Pierre Poussin’s sculpture, Esprit, will celebrate Decoteau’s spirit and legacy.

Born in Saskatchewan in 1887, Alexander Decoteau served in the Edmonton Police Force from 1909-1916 as Canada’s first Indigenous police officer. He was also a celebrated long-distance runner, winning most major Western Canadian races while serving Edmonton. He competed at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics before enlisting in the Canadian Army in 1916. His achievements are enshrined in the Edmonton, Alberta, and Saskatchewan Sports Halls of Fame, the Police Museum and Archives, and at the annual Alex Decoteau Educational Run with Edmonton’s inner city schools.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I wouldn't say falling apart, but the vinyl wrap on the inner surface of the letters is becoming quite tattered. They have been waiting until warmer, dryer weather to put the new wrap on. A permanent sign is in the works but not sure what the timelines are. Some of our more moronic councillors don't like spending money on anything that vaguely resembles art.
For a city as rich as Toronto it should be a no-brainer to put some money into that sign, since it became kind of iconic with tourists and it's right in front of city hall.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:14 PM
Fake News

Quote:
For a city as rich as Toronto it should be a no-brainer to put some money into that sign, since it became kind of iconic with tourists and it's right in front of city hall.
Never underestimate the stinginess of bean counters.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Never underestimate the stinginess of bean counters.
I don't, but come on! How expensive can it be ?

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:17 PM

Hamilton might be getting it's own city name sign too...

Quote:
The Hamilton Spectator: Mayor Fred fundraising for giant city hall sign

People take pictures with and of the "TORONTO" sign at Nathan Phillips
Square in 2015. Hamilton's mayor wants something similar for his city.

By Andrew Dreschel | May 4, 2017

Toronto has one. Amsterdam has one. And now Fred Eisenberger wants Hamilton to have one as part of Canada's 150th birthday celebrations.

The mayor says he's drumming up roughly $250,000 in private funding to build a sign spelling "Hamilton" in giant letters, which would be located on the city hall forecourt.

"It would simply say 'Hamilton' and would have private sector funding associated with it and certainly not to be paid from the tax coffers," he says.

"We're fundraising for it and we have a design and once I have a more complete package, I'll certainly be bringing it to all members of council (for approval)."

Eisenberger says he's going to be "a little lean" on details until council sees the plan. So it's not clear if any private sector money is committed yet.

But the idea is to build a sign like the three-metre high and 22-metre wide one in Nathan Philips Square that says "Toronto" in illuminated letters.

Originally created for the 2015 Pan Am Games, the Toronto sign is now a photographic magnet for tourists and residents.

Eisenberger notes Amsterdam and other cities have also erected large promotional letter signs in strategic places.

"It's something people can stand in front of, walk around and take photos of."

PJ Mercanti, CEO of Carmen's hospitality and entertainment group, is voluntarily championing the project for Eisenberger, along with Laura Babcock, president of Powergroup Communications, a public relations and marketing firm.

"This will be a private sector partnership with other Hamiltonians participating to bring this vision to life," Mercanti said via email.

Mercanti sees the sign becoming a new city landmark.

"Being located right in front of city hall the sign could definitely be another distinct component of the Hamilton landscape much like the famous AGH (Art Gallery of Hamilton) sign over King Street."

Mercanti says Eisenberger approached him with the idea as a way for the private sector to make a significant contribution to the city for Canada's 150th birthday.

"He asked if I would be interested in leading this along with Laura Babcock, who has been a previous champion for a sign for Hamilton. As a proud Hamiltonian, I enthusiastically agreed as I think the idea is outstanding, exciting and timely."

Babcock, to popular acclaim, revived the old idea of erecting a gateway sign on Highway 403 back in 2013. But the proposal fell flat when councillors developed a bad case of sticker shock over the $230,000 price tag.

Over the last couple of years Babcock says she's gently reminded the mayor that the need for a trademark civic sign is still there. She's happy to once again help move the ball down the field.

Eisenberger first floated the idea of creating a gateway sign during a January interview with CBC Hamilton. Back then, he figured it could be mobile. Babcock's fine with it morphing into an inner city marker. The important thing, she says, is to showcase the city's sense of pride and unity

"What it really comes down to is we were missing something, something that's a no-brainer for a city of our size especially to have. To get some version of it done, I think, will be a good day for the city. We're behind on this one."

Eisenberger hopes to bring the plan to council in a month or so. It's a pity, however, that the idea of a mobile sign seems to have been dropped. When you think about it, we could have strung the letters along the side of the Mountain, thus emulating faraway Hollywood as well as neighbouring Toronto.

My guess is that it would go here, in the empty space in front of the west wing...

Hamilton City Hall by Bryan Herechuk, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:19 PM
I am the law!

I don't think it's about money. I think many councilors want it gone. It's just one more jab at the Nathan Phillips Square revitalization.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post

My guess is that it would go here, in the empty space in front of the west wing...

Mercanti sees the sign becoming a new city landmark.

As a proud Hamiltonian, I enthusiastically agreed as I think the idea is outstanding, exciting and timely."

Over the last couple of years Babcock says she's gently reminded the mayor that the need for a trademark civic sign is still there.

The important thing, she says, is to showcase the city's sense of pride and unity

"What it really comes down to is we were missing something, something that's a no-brainer for a city of our size especially to have. To get some version of it done, I think, will be a good day for the city. We're behind on this one."

Eisenberger hopes to bring the plan to council in a month or so.
They're putting a lot of pride in what would be basically a copy of an installation in Toronto.

I guess big sign with a city name is the new "thing" for instant "landmark", like Ferries Wheel ? Watch for Coderre to put one on in Montreal... paid by the city, of course.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 1:40 AM
I am a typical

They could be unique and use the nickname Steeltown instead of Hamilton. Make it in Comic Sans font because Hamilton.

(And before you get mad at me, if Thunder Bay did this, it would be done in Algerian. *shudder*)

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 3:22 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
This is utterly ridiculous.

Want to do something similar while at least trying to be original? A giant hammer amidst some I-beams and rails set up in formation around it, doubling as benches. At least you'll get the Thor fans flocking to town.

Add a water feature too while they're at it. Cascading behind the hammerhead, down a miniature-escarpment.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 3:56 AM
It's Hammer Time

Or just do a #HamOnt sign to get the millennials and hipsters, would be perfect for James St N or Locke.

Cherry to the cake would be in tiny letters at the end of #HamOnt would be #blessed, haha.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 7:36 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
I guess big sign with a city name is the new "thing" for instant "landmark", like Ferries Wheel ? Watch for Coderre to put one on in Montreal... paid by the city, of course.
Wait. I thought that ferris wheel was a private enterprise courtesy of a bunch of euro investors.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Wait. I thought that ferris wheel was a private enterprise courtesy of a bunch of euro investors.
It is. I was refering to an eventual "Montreal" big sign. Contrary to Toronto or Hamilton, I'm sure that Coderre would not hesitate for a second to make the city pay for one. Of course, I don't really think it will happen, not in front of city hall anyway, where it would be very out of place. But the city of Montreal is investing a lot of money in public art and public realms in general, so we would not have the same debate as they have now in Hamilton.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 3:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They could be unique and use the nickname Steeltown instead of Hamilton. Make it in Comic Sans font because Hamilton.

(And before you get mad at me, if Thunder Bay did this, it would be done in Algerian. *shudder*)

Ahahahah!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:43 PM

Airs libres by Claude Cormier in the Gay village.

[IMG]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAcVl8D...agged=montreal[/IMG]

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 4:41 AM

love this

Video Link

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i did a temporary light installation last weekend as part of the spur fest bike jam

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 8:22 PM
Fake News

Nice! Very cinematic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada