HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:56 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

NEW WEST: Cote's Transportation Initiatives

Hello all boomchickens and ducks!

So the elections happened, and I'm sure many of you (though not all) are excited that Jonathan Cote was elected mayor in New Westminster. Voting in Burnaby, I was not aware of his campaign until after he had already been voted in. When I checked his website, however, I was amazed at the suggestions he was making concerning the city's infrastructure. Here's a copy/paste of his transportation platform details, with some of my own comments on the initiatives I find most interesting (though I'm enthusiastic about almost all of his points):

Local Strategies
  • "Ensure that the majority of growth in the city is done in areas that are within walking distance of frequent transit service."
  • "Target regular and consistent traffic enforcement to discourage drivers from cutting through local neighbourhoods."
  • "Explore opportunities to reduce congestion on the local street network by optimizing signal timing through the use of adaptive and real time broadband traffic technologies."
  • "Work with local neighbourhoods to achieve consensus on potential traffic calming initiatives that improve neighbourhood livability."
  • "Implement policies and infrastructure that keeps regional traffic to the perimeter of the city and on major routes."
    This seems to be essential to what Cote's about, and I hope he's successful in making this happen.
  • "Increase traffic enforcement on commercial trucks to address safety and neighbourhood livability concerns."
  • "Work with car share providers to increase car sharing opportunities for New Westminster residents."
  • "Enhance public awareness of snow and vegetation removal responsibilities in front of their homes."
  • "Prioritize and encourage the development of dense mixed use neighbourhoods in close proximity to rapid transit."
  • "Explore opportunities to increase the number of electric vehicle charging stations in the city."
  • "Turn Royal Avenue into a Boulevard, recognizing the residential character of the neighbourhood and the new elementary school located on this street."
    YES PLEASE! Royal Avenue is a nightmare for pedestrians right now. And while we're at it, could we please do the same with 8th St. and 6th St.?
  • "Support "Safe Routes to School" by improving pedestrian safety in neighbourhoods in close proximity to schools."
    Along with the above, 10th Ave. and 8th Ave. would be great candidates for traffic calming and other such safety improvements, given the high school and Moody Park. 4 lanes is way too much for the whole Uptown area if it is to be livable. Working with Burnaby to calm Canada Way up to Edmonds would also be helpful. (Of course this is contingent on the success of diverting trucks from 10th Ave. by obviating the connection between McBride and Kingsway, i.e. by forbidding trucks on Patullo.)
  • "Ensure all bus stops that have high passenger activity have comfortable transit shelters and are accessible to all residents."
  • "Implement wayfinding signage that is consistent and user friendly for all modes of transportation."
  • "Support the partial deconstruction of the Front Street Parkade."
    Excellent. I hope they do this soon.

Pedestrian and Cycling Improvements
  • "Improve bike route connections with neighbouring municipalities."

Awesome. The whole Braid area obviously needs improvement, and the BC Parkway between the Quay and 22nd St. Station is in need of serious work in terms of trail quality, safety/separation on the overpass, wayfinding/signage, lighting, etc., with no plans in place for that part of the trail currently on Translink's part. In addition, it would really be much better to have a way of going west to Market Crossing/Foreshore Park without having to either go all the way up to Southridge/Byrne and then down again or brave it on Marine Way. Finally, it is obvious that it is currently nearly suicidal to attempt to bike or even to walk your bike across the Patullo Bridge. But that's its own issue.
  • "Explore opportunities to build a cyclo-cable connecting Downtown New Westminster with Tipperary Park."
    Sweet. I'm a little unsure how he's going to do this in conjunction with car traffic (probably given my unfamiliarity with cyclocables in general lol), but as a cyclist I hope they find a way to do this. Hell, why not continue the cyclocable all the way up to 6th Ave.? It also makes me wonder if they could do the same thing on any of 10th St., 8th St., and/or 6th St. up to Royal City Centre/Moody Park. I'm so excited any politician much less an elected mayor has suggested this sort of thing, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.
  • "Improve sidewalk infrastructure by increasing sidewalk coverage and improving the maintenance on the existing sidewalk network."
    Yes.
  • "Ensure new developments incorporate urban design principles that create a walkable environment."
  • "Ensure major pedestrian corridors and public spaces have protection from the rain and identify, prioritize and address locations with insufficient sidewalk coverage."
  • "Accelerate and promote the city's curb letdown program to ensure the majority of intersections have adequate curb letdowns".
    Yes. Try pushing a wheelchair through New West. Just try it. Similar story with scooters, I'm sure.
  • "Encourage the development of key cycling routes that are comfortable for people of all ages and abilities".
    So glad Cote is into this. AAA routes are so important. Obviously, the riverside along the Fraser and Brunette between Braid, the Quay, and Queensborough will be the major possibility here for New West, hopefully while finding a way to circumnavigate the hilly parts while connecting to the Brunette Park trail. This would do a huge blow to the current inaccessibility/dauntingness of the BC Parkway/CVG corridor in the eyes of many prospective cyclists.

• "Advocate to make cycling skills a part of the curriculum in the New Westminster School District."

Regional Advocacy
  • "Work with Translink to implement digital "next bus" signs at high volume transit stops and eliminate transit fares for children 12 and under if accompanied by a paid adult."
    This is a great idea. It's an excellent feature of Canada Line, and it really should be present on the other parts of the Skytrain, before we even mention buses. Translink has some catching up to do. In Grenoble, France, for example, their whole at-grade tramway system has this feature, along with almost every bus stop.
  • "Explore opportunities with the provincial and federal government to develop a goods movement tunnel connecting Highway 1 and the Queensborough Bridge."
    This suggestion is the one that really blew my mind, even more than the cyclo-cable. What a gigantic project this would be. But if it could happen, I think it would really do a lot to make the walkability/pedestrianization of Uptown and other parts of the city possible. And it would make Stewardson Way/Columbia/Patullo area all far, far more sane. But do you guys think this is anything more than a fantasy at this point?
  • "Work with Translink to improve the schedule reliability of the bus network along 6th and 8th Streets, and to increase bus service on 12th Street, 6th Avenue, 8th Avenue and Ewen Avenue."
    This really is needed, although in the 6th Ave/8th St/6th St Columbia rectangle, the possibility of a shuttle might ameliorate some of this need. There are a lot of folks who Skytrain to one of the 2 stations, and then only need to go a little ways up the hill rather than all the way up into Burnaby/Edmonds area; the shuttle would give a better transfer for that kind of passenger and keep numbers down on longer routes such as 123.
  • "Work with Translink to create a high frequency shuttle service connecting the Downtown and Uptown neighbourhoods."
    This is a great idea. Maybe while making 6th/8th St. into 2-lane boulevards, they could simultaneously add parklets and 4-5 shuttle inlets for passenger pick-up/dropoff.
  • "Work with Translink to eliminate Royal Avenenue, East 8th Avenue, East Columbia Street and Ewen Avenue as regional truck routes, and to restrict or eliminate heavy truck traffic on the Pattullo Bridge."
  • "Support the creation of a publicly accountable Translink board made up of individuals directly elected by the public."
  • "Work with regional partners to promote the use of rail and water based transportation of goods in Metro Vancouver rather than complete reliance on trucks."
  • "Support the expansion of rapid transit in Surrey and Vancouver."
  • "Work with Translink to install an elevator at the Sapperton SkyTrain Station to Braid Industrial area."
  • "Partner with Translink to improve the elevator at the Columbia SkyTrain Station."

In addition, I will just add one point from Cote's Parks and Recreation Agenda:
  • "Complete the Fraser River walkway by connecting Sapperton Landing to Westminster Pier Park, Quayside Boardwalk and to Queensborough via a pedestrian bridge."
My only comment on this fantastic idea is to suggest that Cote partner with Burnaby/Delta to build a SECOND pedestrian bridge at the similar rail crossing at the end of Burnaby Foreshore Park, and to connect this bridge via River Rd. to the trails and developments on Queensborough. This would give a solution for cyclists and especially for pedestrians to bypass Marine Way/Stewardson Way and the whole industrial railpark area that blocks Burnaby residents from getting to New West. Does that sounds feasible?
----

Now, I want to know what you all think! Which possibilities are you really stoked/not stoked about? How many of them do you think Cote will actually be able to accomplish during his term as mayor? Give your thoughts.

Last edited by Large Cat; Nov 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Please edit your post to use quotes and include source URLs

That being said, I am excited by this agenda and hope we see some of it implemented.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:24 AM

Different mayor, same agenda.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:44 AM

"Work with Translink to eliminate Royal Avenenue, East 8th Avenue, East Columbia Street and Ewen Avenue as regional truck routes, and to restrict or eliminate heavy truck traffic on the Pattullo Bridge."

"Support the creation of a publicly accountable Translink board made up of individuals directly elected by the public."

"Work with regional partners to promote the use of rail and water based transportation of goods in Metro Vancouver rather than complete reliance on trucks."

These three points strike me as the same old New West.

For the first one, sorry, this should bedone after the tunnel and / or other major improvements are completed in creating a free (or freer) flowing traffic artery for trucks that can replace these routes. The Pattullo still needs to be replaced no matter what.

For the second one, transportation is too important t obe decided by the un-educated public. Maybe a couple elected representatives could be positive, but the majority should still be appointed via their education and experience.

As for the last point. Rail is pretty much tapped out at this point, and actually major programs have been done to try and increase the safety and capacity of shipping goods via rail (the entire Robert Banks Corridor project which has just been completed for example). Sadly it is up to CP or CN to build new major rail corridors.

And as for using the waterways, I agree with that, but then all the environmentalists will get their shit in a knot when dredging the river and the mud flats increases.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:37 AM

On truck route and transportation front I'd say: new pattullo bridge ASAP before it collapses (4 lanes now with upgrade to 6 once all other upgrades complete), tunnel McBride and connect it to the Stormont-McBride connector (proposed late 90s), connect united blvd to an upgraded 10th and have that as the dedicated truck route (I think burnaby already owns many of the homes along 10th to make this happen), connect 10th to the Tree Island crossing. With these routes in place it would look like a bow (united blvd-10th ave- tree island crossing) and arrow (pattullo bridge to hwy 1 via McBride upgrade and Stormont-McBride connector. Remove all other truck routes within the city.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:16 AM
Vancouver Moderator

"Work with Translink to install an elevator at the Sapperton SkyTrain Station to Braid Industrial area."
"Partner with Translink to improve the elevator at the Columbia SkyTrain Station."

I have wanted both for years. Columbia station really needs a massive rebuild with accessible (elevator) links to the upper entrance at the street, and removal of the dumb stairs and ghetto mini elevator at the Columbis st. level.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
On truck route and transportation front I'd say: new pattullo bridge ASAP before it collapses (4 lanes now with upgrade to 6 once all other upgrades complete), tunnel McBride and connect it to the Stormont-McBride connector (proposed late 90s), connect united blvd to an upgraded 10th and have that as the dedicated truck route (I think burnaby already owns many of the homes along 10th to make this happen), connect 10th to the Tree Island crossing. With these routes in place it would look like a bow (united blvd-10th ave- tree island crossing) and arrow (pattullo bridge to hwy 1 via McBride upgrade and Stormont-McBride connector. Remove all other truck routes within the city.
Good plan, IMO

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 9:11 PM

The cyclo-cable looks interesting.

Agreed, I think that a tunneled Stormont-McBride Connector is more realistic than Queensborough to Highway 1.

There's already the SFPR on the south side of the river, so truck traffic can take that route to the New Pattulo and access Highway 1 via a Stormont-McBride Connector. I doesn't make a lot of sense to have a primary route through the convoluted connectors on the south side of the Alex Fraser Bridge, either.

Also, it makes sense to keep the tunnel as short as possible and under public right of way (i.e. under existing roads) to keep costs down.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:13 AM

The cycle cable could work as long as there isn't cross traffic. White Rock would be a great place to have one of these as well. I bet though it would be possible for vehicles to cross it though. 4th Street from Columbia to Royal Ave would work.

I would love to see the Sapperton Landing - Quay bridge and the extension of the Brunette Fraser Greenway on the waterfront under the Patullo. There is only 800 m of missing greenway to connect the 2 existing sections.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
The cycle cable could work as long as there isn't cross traffic.
You can deal with that by having multiple sections, one per block.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure