HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
But Silverstein is supposed to have some publicly accessible "event" space up there, like they currently do with 7 WTC. So I imagine the views will be worth it, though it's giving you headaches now...
How accessible is the 7 WTC space for someone who lives in the city? Just curious as to how accessible the 2 WTC space would be.

Will the plebs be restricted to 1 WTC?

Like the new renders, STR. Fantastic.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
How accessible is the 7 WTC space for someone who lives in the city? Just curious as to how accessible the 2 WTC space would be.
I've only been up there once, and I don't really follow what goes on there, but Silverstein has a website (check the photo gallery)...
http://www.7wtcevents.com/

I imagine similar activites taking place at tower 2. This will be the crown jewel of Silverstein's properties, and I'm sure he will make it a showcase.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 8:46 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Well, it's a good thing that the roof height AND the spire height are going up together, that means they raised/lowered the floors further down the building, which means I won't have to screw around with the crown again. I think I finally figured out how to finish out the crown, so hopefully I'll have this one done tonight, which will be good for me because all the little geometric problems keep distracting me from real work I need to get done (that and the real work is even more tedious than parts of this building).

Also, while checking figures, I just realized this is actually the largest building in the WTC complex. 2.8Msqft vs 2.6M in Tower 1 and 2.1 in Tower 3, though all are clearly smaller than the 4.xM sqft in each of the Twin Towers. Also, the average office floor is 13'6" high slab to slab, versus 13'4" in Tower 1 and 12' in the Twin Towers. The highest floor in Tower 2 is 30 or 31 feet, I don't recall. It's the machinery level on or about the 4th floor.

Last edited by STR; Oct 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 10:40 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Figured out the whole crown thing. I was going about it completely backwards, once I realized that, it came together within an hour.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:29 PM
New Yorker for life

The "crown" makes the building look huge, or a lot more massive in a sense than the other towers. But it's a more slender (by comparison) building, and will appear more of a behemoth from the north side, where there is nothing to break the sheer rise.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 3:00 PM

Thumbs down

@STR, The Twin Towers (combined) was 4.5 million square feet. Each tower had ~2.5 million square feet. The overall complex was a little over 10 million square feet.

BTW, as far as the new complex goes, will they house gold vaults in the basement as they did in the original complex? I wonder if this adds value to the site, lol.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 6:01 PM

It's great to finally get a detailed view of the geometry of the crown of this building. Its unusual geometry makes it a treat to look at.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 6:36 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
@STR, The Twin Towers (combined) was 4.5 million square feet. Each tower had ~2.5 million square feet. The overall complex was a little over 10 million square feet.

BTW, as far as the new complex goes, will they house gold vaults in the basement as they did in the original complex? I wonder if this adds value to the site, lol.
I think it was 4.3 (Sears Tower has 4.4, and it was slightly bigger), and the whole center had about 12M sqft including tower 7, plus 700 Ksqft of retail, and 500 Ksqft of hotel space.

The new complex is a bit smaller at 11Msqft in the five announced buildings, and Tower 5, if built as an office tower, will mostly replace the bank tower currently being deconstructed on Liberty St, so we may get a 13Msqft trade center, but since its just more spread out, LM as a whole will have roughly 1Msqft less.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
STR's numbers are correct.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:02 AM
Because I'm Clever!

STR is also done with this building (well, done enough for now). Even put a render in for the diagram, since the existing diagram is kinda old.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:55 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Excellent diagrams and comparison. The two towers are just about identical in height (WTC South Tower roof vs. 200 Greenwich's spire).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:56 AM
Metal Up Your !

My lord 2WTC is so beautiful! All 5 of the WTC buildings are orgasmic. Can't wait to see them in person.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:14 AM

I'm so glad you came back, STR. Beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:35 AM
Because I'm Clever!

This isn't from the top floor. I picked one of the floors in the crown randomly, it's about 1,150 feet up.

From the Transit Center Plaza. Note the reflection of Tower 3, these buildings will reflect each other a lot due to their mirror-like glazing and proximity. Also note how the fins seem to disappear when viewed head-on, but dominate the facade of the building when viewed from the side.

From 1 World Trade Center, Restaurant Mezzanine (I think they call it the 101st floor) elevation 1,250 feet.

From Church St.

From a couple blocks north on Greenwich

Vessey and Church

Near Trinity Church

West and Liberty. Again, note the vastly more textured facade of Tower 2, it helps a lot with bridging Tower 1 with 3 (I'm not going to focus on 3WTC until I give it a once over, so stay tuned).

Battery Park City near the river, 2 World Financial is to the left. Note that from this angle the diamonds appear random and crooked.

Last edited by STR; Oct 28, 2010 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 6:23 AM
DENNAB

Again, great work STR,,

But I don't know how I feel about this building, it's cool, but it looks like someone diagonally lopped a bunch of mass off one of the twins and this is the result, it's still much to small compared to one of the WTC towers to really restore the skyline, hopefully someone comes to their senses and makes the roof a mere 80 feet taller to match the original WTC.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 6:44 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Given that the challenge right now is getting the building above the 4th floor retail/transit podium, getting to a hypothetical 85 floors is not anyone's major concern right now.

Finally figured out why this building kept showing up darker, I messed with the reflections and hadn't turned it back. Oh well, too late for these.

Last edited by STR; Oct 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Again, great work STR,,

But I don't know how I feel about this building, it's cool, but it looks like someone diagonally lopped a bunch of mass off one of the twins and this is the result, it's still much to small compared to one of the WTC towers to really restore the skyline, hopefully someone comes to their senses and makes the roof a mere 80 feet taller to match the original WTC.
Comes to their senses? The building is tall enough. What are you a size queen? LOL If the roof height were the same as the original twin it would more or less match the roof height of tower 1 of the new world trade center building which is NOT in the master plan for the complex. Remember?,,its a gradual descending spiral of buildings from tower one thru 5(if there is a five).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
That doesn't add up to me. The twins were a little bigger on the bottom and twice the size of the new WTC1 on top. They also had smaller cores, more floors and fewer mechanical floors, since a lot less gear was on site with them. And it doesn't seem likely that the two tower combined had less than half the total WTC rentable space.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Vessey and Church
Nice. The view I'm waiting for is of towers 2 and 3 from Church and Vesey.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:24 PM

Awesome models. I don't understand what Foster was trying to accomplish with the pinnacle on this building. All the irregular shapes makes it look awkward and misshapen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction