HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Modello in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Latest ad for Modello is still stating it being 60% sold, which was the case already 6 months ago. Old ad or no progress with sales?
I've noticed that Boffo's Metrotown developments seem to sell much slower than average. If I remember correctly Jewel I and II were only sold well after completion. Their condos are also higher end and much larger than what is typical. Modello's smallest unit is 639sqft which is palatial in this day and age.

Also BuzzBuzzHome reports that Modello is currently 65% sold.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I've noticed that Boffo's Metrotown developments seem to sell much slower than average. If I remember correctly Jewel I and II were only sold well after completion. Their condos are also higher end and much larger than what is typical. Modello's smallest unit is 639sqft which is palatial in this day and age.

Also BuzzBuzzHome reports that Modello is currently 65% sold.
They are a good builder however their units are more aimed for the end user and not for investment rentals. Their units are a lot more pricier than standard condos due to their size and quality of finishes. I remember Jewel's 2 bedroom was asking around $700k when it was on sale. Expensive for a 2 bedroom in Metrotown area IMO.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:09 PM

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in this forum. I recently purchased an one bedroom unit at Modello. The display unit in their sales centre is definitely one of the better quality ones that I have seen. I just hope the final result will be the same quality. This is my first property, should I be worried about the fact that it's only 65% sold?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:53 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 10:19 PM

Welcome!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22x View Post
Hi all,

This is my first time posting in this forum. I recently purchased an one bedroom unit at Modello. The display unit in their sales centre is definitely one of the better quality ones that I have seen. I just hope the final result will be the same quality. This is my first property, should I be worried about the fact that it's only 65% sold?
No not to worry..If you scroll back in this Modello post, you will find that Boffo tends to sell at a slower place due to their higher price point (higher $PSF & larger home) which target more end users. Boffo is not usually in a rush to sell and 65% isn't bad for a highrise tower.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been seriously considering a 2 bedroom at Modello recently. Any thoughts on how bad the congestion could get around that area? Willingdon and Kingsway is already pretty awful during the weekends and rush hour. With Moda, MetroPlace, Silver, and GoldHouse coming up after Modello, traffic could get downright nasty.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:02 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingpan View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been seriously considering a 2 bedroom at Modello recently. Any thoughts on how bad the congestion could get around that area? Willingdon and Kingsway is already pretty awful during the weekends and rush hour. With Moda, MetroPlace, Silver, and GoldHouse coming up after Modello, traffic could get downright nasty.
I doubt it'll get that bad. I'm predicting most of the towers will have buyers who want to take transit...this isn't north Burnaby we're talking about. Speaking of which, if you move into modello I recommend just ditching your car, and then the traffic will hardly be a bother in the same sort of way. And if you can do that you'll be contributing to lessening car traffic yourself. Increased pedestrian traffic shouldnt be a problem given the huge upgrades to Metrotown station currently underway. Actually the most annoying thing about modello to me is that its located right next to willingdon which takes a long time to cross as a pedestrian given the 4 lanes and high speed of cars. My guess is we'll see traffic calming and perhaps a narrowing of willingdon near modello as more towers start going up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
I doubt it'll get that bad. I'm predicting most of the towers will have buyers who want to take transit...this isn't north Burnaby we're talking about. Speaking of which, if you move into modello I recommend just ditching your car, and then the traffic will hardly be a bother in the same sort of way. And if you can do that you'll be contributing to lessening car traffic yourself. Increased pedestrian traffic shouldnt be a problem given the huge upgrades to Metrotown station currently underway. Actually the most annoying thing about modello to me is that its located right next to willingdon which takes a long time to cross as a pedestrian given the 4 lanes and high speed of cars. My guess is we'll see traffic calming and perhaps a narrowing of willingdon near modello as more towers start going up.
I would hope most of the Bereford tower buyers will want to take transit - they're moving to within a block of Metrotown Station. If they still insist on driving on Kingsway it's going to get ugly. Plus Metrotown mall is across the street so it's not like they need to travel far for groceries, etc.

I doubt Burnaby is going to narrow Willingdon - aside from Boundary and North Road, it's the only true north / south connector. Deer Lake and Burnaby Lake are smack dab in the middle of Burnaby so nada there. Plus when you get to southeast Burnaby the road network tilts 45 degrees to match New West and from that comes Canada Way, which connects with Willingdon. Any narrowing of Willingdon is going to cause choke points that'll make it scarier than Kingsway.

Getting back to Metrotown Station, I doubt we'll see any construction before summer. Sure they cleared out the plants under the station and have played with dirt. Other than that it's pretty much just sat there (and got rained on a lot this weekend). It hasn't gone through third reading yet and they have to wait for that to start building. Check out page six (it's labelled 'institutional').

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:10 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
I doubt it'll get that bad. I'm predicting most of the towers will have buyers who want to take transit...this isn't north Burnaby we're talking about.
Last I checked North Burnaby had its own very popular skytrain lane.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Willingdon should get widened not narrowed. The lights should also be synced to allow smooth traffic flow. This is a major arterial road used by everyone in the region, not a private residential street. Its like people who move to airports and then demand the flight paths change to reduce noise.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:40 AM

Thanks for the response everyone. I definitely do intend to use transit most of the time and walk to get my groceries if I live in such a convenient location. Having never lived a condo life in the city I guess what concerned me was mostly the noise level of the busy surrounding streets...but...that's the compromise isn't it

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
I....and perhaps a narrowing of willingdon near modello as more towers start going up.
Willingdon will be widened by 2.90 meters ( about 9.5 feet ).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
The city should make developers put in pedestrian under or over passes if the development is close to a extremely busy intersection. Problem is that they are often not so wheelchair accessible.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingpan View Post
Thanks for the response everyone. I definitely do intend to use transit most of the time and walk to get my groceries if I live in such a convenient location. Having never lived a condo life in the city I guess what concerned me was mostly the noise level of the busy surrounding streets...but...that's the compromise isn't it
You have to decide what you want vs what you're willing to put up with. If you want a super convenient location like Metrotown then you're going to have to live with traffic noise for at least 12 hours a day. There are quieter areas nearby, but of course they're not as close to everything like Modello is.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:12 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Last I checked North Burnaby had its own very popular skytrain lane.
Haha indeed. Right on top of Lougheed Highway. It just seems really hard to me as a pedestrian to get to places like Lake City Way, Holdom, Sperling, Production Way, heck even Lougheed Town Centre right now, because the station is sitting literally on top of an 8 lane highway. Then there's the Grandview Cut and Highway 1 to worry about crossing, as well as the tremendous hill from the line up to the heights/Mountain, and a lot of people just end up saying to themselves that it's too difficult to live around there without a car. Thus the massive underground parking in Solo District, Brentwood, the surface parking at Lougheed, etc. It's hard to make a comparison when Expo Line avoids Kingsway altogether and has less natural features working against it. Plus there are the political differences between North and South Burnaby, with North Burnaby liberals tending toward a more middle-aged, car-oriented demographic.

Interesting to hear about Willingdon widening. Maybe narrowing was just wishful thinking on my part . In any case they'll have to figure out how to make Willingdon easily crossable near Modello, either by reconfiguring the intersection or building a lit underpass for the Parkway. They could get started on this anytime if the money were there, there's no need for them to wait for Modello to finish--just need referendum results because of future B-Lines on Willingdon.

I wouldn't worry about noise of all things living in Modello, except when Gold House is being constructed right next to you. Modello condos look really plush and will probably have good sound insulation. And the neighbourhood to the south really is actually extremely quiet. It's a really nice place to live.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:08 PM

When I bought the one bedroom, my biggest concern was the skytrain noise...but I gambled with the fact that it's A/C in the building and I don't need to open the windows. And hoped the insulation will be decent! *Crossing fingers*

I do plan to use my car less when I move into Modello...I drive through Willingdon and Kingsway after work sometimes and it's a nightmare.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22x View Post
When I bought the one bedroom, my biggest concern was the skytrain noise...but I gambled with the fact that it's A/C in the building and I don't need to open the windows. And hoped the insulation will be decent! *Crossing fingers*
I've really only noticed skytrain being noisy when you're right at a station - then you're hearing the trains pulling into / out of the station, as well as people on the platform and the inevitable buses. The train itself whooshing by is pretty easy to tune out. Cars driving past are more noticeable that the train.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:39 AM

imo, modello has the best floor plans of any condo i've ever seen in the GVRD. i even considered (ok just for a moment) moving to metrotown because of it. not only are the plans great but the outdoor spaces are phenomenal - even on lower floor, typical units. i've never seen balcony sizes in a building like this before. my only wish is that they'd do this downtown and i'd buy in a sec!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:05 AM

I hear you, Delirium. I am currently looking for a new rental apartment and have also been considering some new towers in Metrotown (and to a lesser extent in Brentwood). Unfortunately many of the units are just so damn small and have really bad floor plans. Like, how difficult can it be to maximize the space available? Very hard it seems, but good to hear with Modello they have succeeded.

I would also love this building to be in Downtown. My problem with Metrotown is the fact that you will rely on Skytrain which while much better than a car, doesn't beat being able to walk everywhere like in Downtown. Another drawback is also how full Skytrain is during the rush hour. Also moving to Burnaby is a big obstacle that I don't think I will be able to overcome.

I would still be interested to go see few places in Metrotown, just to see the views from being on the top of the ridge. Must be pretty superb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley