HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:00 AM

Whenever I drive by this place I say "Froooontier" in my thickest southern drawl, as if I'm driving across the Oregon Trail in 1806. Which isn't such a stretch from the truth TBH.

Those godforsaken condos at the end of Trim Road should have been called Frontier, which would be more truthful.

These should have been called 'The Live-n-Park-n-Ride Towers No's I&II'

Edit: Just because that's what I'm doing at the moment, they should have been called "Red Wine" and "Depression" because that sums up your home life within these towers. Aaand now I'll put down the bottle and go watch the debates.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:52 PM

The architecture is ok. Better than even some downtown towers. The street level is horrible. So many blank walls, no street interaction whatsoever. It reminds me of the tower complexes built in the 70s and 80s along the SE Transitway or St-Laurent-Brittany area; it's supposed to be TOD but seems designed for driving in and out. There isn't even any good walking path between the development and Blair station.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
...they should have been called "Red Wine" and "Depression" because that sums up your home life within these towers.
Makes me think of that Simpson's episode where they move to Cypress Creek.

I agree the architecture is not really inspiring, but these towers are starting to grow on me and I actually quite like their looks now. I wish these could be considered "the low bar" compared to some of the other RLA or Claridge builds going up in the city. They are very much "towers in the park" but perhaps the street level interaction and walkability will be improved a little bit when all the remaining phases (up to 3 other towers I think?) are complete, in addition to the redevelopment of the mall.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Makes me think of that Simpson's episode where they move to Cypress Creek.
Yes, exactly.

Scene: Young executive professional arriving home at 8pm on the train. Walks across parking lot to nice condo entrance. Partner is not home yet, so the 450 sq.ft. condo *with nice mid-level appliances* is empty.

Partner 1: Hmmm.. I think I'll go for a jog. * puts on expensive workout gear to look good in the elevator*

Outdoors: The windswept mall parking lot, a plastic bag floats past.

Partner 1: *goes back upstairs, turns on some tastefully decorated lighting, opens some wine and puts a frozen pizza in the oven*

Partner 2: *phones* "hey hun, my fairly successful career means I'll be working till midnight, when I'll come home to sleep and start it all again tomorrow"

Partner 1: finishes bottle, goes to bed with the TV on.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Yes, exactly.

Scene: Young executive professional arriving home at 8pm on the train. Walks across parking lot to nice condo entrance. Partner is not home yet, so the 450 sq.ft. condo *with nice mid-level appliances* is empty.

Partner 1: Hmmm.. I think I'll go for a jog. * puts on expensive workout gear to look good in the elevator*

Outdoors: The windswept mall parking lot, a plastic bag floats past.

Partner 1: *goes back upstairs, turns on some tastefully decorated lighting, opens some wine and puts a frozen pizza in the oven*

Partner 2: *phones* "hey hun, my fairly successful career means I'll be working till midnight, when I'll come home to sleep and start it all again tomorrow"

Partner 1: finishes bottle, goes to bed with the TV on.
Well that is disturbingly accurate. Thankfully it wont be the case a year from now (goodbye plastic bags) lol

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
Well that is disturbingly accurate. Thankfully it wont be the case a year from now (goodbye plastic bags) lol
LMAO!

But actually, those plastic bags will be around for years to come, so I'm sure we'll see plenty floating across our vast expanses of paved-over landscapes

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:04 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:59 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:15 PM

That charcoal colored brick cladding leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11a2b3 View Post
That charcoal colored brick cladding leaves a lot to be desired.
Roderick Lahey surely loves it. Probably jealous he didn't get to design this one himself.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Roderick Lahey surely loves it. Probably jealous he didn't get to design this one himself.
Lahey should sue for trademark infringement!

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:50 PM

I've driven past these towers recently and I couldn't help but notice the glass on the newer building is slightly darker and bluer than the glass on the taller building. It's triggering my OCD!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Photo by me
Dec 29, 2021

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 12:03 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I honestly don't mind these. The podiums are pretty decent.

Is the 3rd tower still happening?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I honestly don't mind these. The podiums are pretty decent.

Is the 3rd tower still happening?
I personally think these are a couple of the better expressions of signature 21st century clone stamp charcoal brick and light accent Ottawachitecture so far....but the setting, sandwiched between a freeway and a windswept big box mall parking lot....horrible.

Last edited by Harley613; Dec 30, 2021 at 2:29 AM. Reason: reworded slightly for accuracy

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 2:00 AM

Quote:
I personally think these are a couple of the better expressions of signature 21st century clone stamp charcoal and light brick Ottawachitecture so far....but the setting, sandwiched between a freeway and a windswept big box mall parking lot....horrible.
Gotta start somewhere....

And maybe this development provides the residential base to support a redevelopment of Gloucester centre.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 5:21 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
I personally think these are a couple of the better expressions of signature 21st century clone stamp charcoal brick and light accent Ottawachitecture so far....but the setting, sandwiched between a freeway and a windswept big box mall parking lot....horrible.
The access to the mall is also kind of lousy. I never like walking through that back corner of the mall. It has a very dimly lit back alley feel to it.

Hopefully if that 30? story tower with the direct connection to the transit platform and the mall comes to fruition they will improve the streetscape.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 9:26 PM

I would love to see the 30 story tower at the station soon. The east end will look very different in a few years!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 1:46 PM

The first two towers went up pretty quickly, what's next? It thought phase 2 also included a 3rd tower to the left of those two?

Looking forward to the one attached to the mall although I believe that's a different development/developer altogether right?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 4:14 PM

Yes different project. The 30 story tower at the mall is approved already, but in limbo. As for Frontier the plan has changed constantly over the years, I don't think there is a way to determine what they will actually propose next.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa