HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 1:13 AM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:26 AM
TL;DR

I'm not such a big fan of Arhaus' style but I'm really excited to see them open at South Market. This is an upscale tenant usually found in exclusive areas. It sends a good message to other retailers who are considering South Market or other CBD locations.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 4:11 PM

Arhaus looks a bit like Restoration Hardware with less emphasis on the 19th century Industrial Age and more 19th and 18th century frippery.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:02 PM

What does everyone think about the CVS going in South Market? I for one think it is a good thing that the CBD was lacking.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Arhaus looks a bit like Restoration Hardware with less emphasis on the 19th century Industrial Age and more 19th and 18th century frippery.
I actually think this is a really good get for us. We are getting a West Elm on Magazine, and another Pottery Barn would have been a yawn, this will help downtown New Orleans regional shopping destination. Canal Place has got a lot of new stores that help this too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:19 PM

I think this is great for New Orleans, but I am a little concerned with the user experience. Usually, when someone thinks of urban shopping, one street/district comes to mind, in every city. I don't know how I feel about having small clusters of shopping around the CBD versus one shopping district/street, such as Canal.

I think having a centrally located shopping district would create the best experience for locals, tourists, and suburbanites. Regardless, it's nice they are breathing some life into this end of the CBD.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
1035 Tchoupitoulas St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 4YV4X2
Pay Fees Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Wayne Troyer
Application Review
Date Filed:
1/27/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a mixed-use, 10-stry building as per plans and HDLC approval. (restaurant on floors 1-2, residential flats on floors 3-8, and penthouse on floors 9-10)

the design reminds me of the original Tracage design... (but a bit smaller, obviously)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 7:08 PM
-

Yeah the CVS is badly needed. I thought this little blurb was interesting too...

The Park, a five-story building, was designed by New Orleans architects Eskew+Dumez+Ripple. It will be the first public garage in the city to offer electric car charging stations, according to a news release from developers. There also will be a bike-sharing program for South Market residents and a car-sharing program also available to the public.

So does this mean they will have a zipcar franchise?

Oh and can anyone make out the name of the restaurant across the street?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah the CVS is badly needed. I thought this little blurb was interesting too...

The Park, a five-story building, was designed by New Orleans architects Eskew+Dumez+Ripple. It will be the first public garage in the city to offer electric car charging stations, according to a news release from developers. There also will be a bike-sharing program for South Market residents and a car-sharing program also available to the public.

So does this mean they will have a zipcar franchise?

Oh and can anyone make out the name of the restaurant across the street?
Looks like "Bella Cantina"? Probably just a place-holder.

I found the car-sharing mention interesting.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 8:21 PM
-

19841 Chef Menteur Hwy·New Construction ·Ref Code: QVP64E
Download (5) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Dao Cheng Wei
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/30/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a seafood warehouse per plans.

1100 Annunciation St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 36TWYK
Pay Fees Download (8) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Paula Peer
Application Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
New construction for a new 16 story, mixed-use building consisting of 4-story parking garage, ground floor retail (white box spaces), 10- stories of apartments, and a rooftop fitness/community room and pool, as per plans, BZA 036/13, and 13-38973-HDLC.\

1 Poydras St. Ste. 124·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 1EWYL1
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Margo Kozich
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Interior build-out (Aerosoles), tenant space #124 as per plans. Signage requires a separate permit.

5420 Franklin Ave·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: CFHSJM
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Rodney Dionisio
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/31/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate the existing flooded Milne Gymnasium to pre Katrina state. painting, remove and replace doors, remove and reinstall all toilet and lavatory fixtures, install all new electrical. install all new mechanical equipment. paint entire facility, flooring repair and installation as required.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 9:23 PM

City Biz had essentially the same write up on the South Market District with one additional little bit of information:
"According to the release, developers will start work on a third building, The Beacon, in the summer. That project, which will occupy a lot on Girod Street across from Paramount, will include an additional 114 apartments and 20,000 square feet of retail space."

If this is true it would mean that they are finding it easier to get the financing in order which is good news. Also very exciting to see this project really kicking into high gear.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
City Biz had essentially the same write up on the South Market District with one additional little bit of information:
"According to the release, developers will start work on a third building, The Beacon, in the summer. That project, which will occupy a lot on Girod Street across from Paramount, will include an additional 114 apartments and 20,000 square feet of retail space."

If this is true it would mean that they are finding it easier to get the financing in order which is good news. Also very exciting to see this project really kicking into high gear.
Looks like the next phase is split into two buildings instead of one massive apartment building and a separate retail building. The Beacon will have 120 units then the unnamed next building will have 130 units for a total of 250, which is 50 more than originally planned!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: And it seems the phase after that will have 100 more apartment units and 100 more garage spaces (adding the Rampart and Okeffe buildings), and the same amount of retail (adding the second floor's)!!!!

Last edited by Blitzen; Jan 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 9:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post

Interesting to note that this means that there will be more than one building on that black as opposed to the way The Paramount covers the whole city block. I presume this is because of the Who Dat Shack which is in the middle of the block.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see something happen soon with the parking garage on Loyola behind the Energy Centre.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Interesting to note that this means that there will be more than one building on that black as opposed to the way The Paramount covers the whole city block. I presume this is because of the Who Dat Shack which is in the middle of the block.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see something happen soon with the parking garage on Loyola behind the Energy Centre.
Jeez I hope they're planning to move, incorporate, or demolish the who dat shack. There's plenty of vacant lots in this city it would look great on.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Elaborate.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 10:38 PM
-

Chef Ben Tabor of upcoming Sneaky Pickle, which opens at 4017 St. Claude Ave on February 5, on why the restaurant will have both meat and vegan offerings: "I eat meat, but I believe as humans we should be eating a 20 percent meat diet for ethical, sustainable and health reasons. That's what I want the philosophy of the place to be." [Gambit]

Todd A. Price reports that sommelier Sara Kavanaugh has departed The Grill Room to open her own restaurant in the former Rambla space (217 Camp St) inside the International House. Not many details yet, other than Kavanaugh is considering several chefs, and the plan is for the restaurant to be more casual than fine dining.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2014/...restaurant.php

It's guaranteed to have a touch of swank going on, though, as the hotel is home to craft cocktail hub Loa and owned by entrepreneur Sean Cummings, who brought the hotness to the Rice Mill Lofts via Ian Schnoebelen's Mariza.

ManhattanJack Plans Altamura Italian Fine Dining Uptown

Things are heating up Uptown again, as Jack Petronella, owner of beloved Prytania Street bakery ManhattanJack, tells Eater he is planning to open a new Southern Italian fine dining restaurant, Altamura, this year. "It's always been our plan to do the restaurant and the bakery," Petronella says. "We just didn't know which would come first."

He's currently working with a contractor to revamp a building on Magazine (exact address unknown at this time), and may even be able to open the doors by May 2014. The restaurant will feature Southern Italian cuisine, in honor of Petronella's family— especially his grandmother— who originally hail from the Italian city of Altamura in the Bari region.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2014/...ing-uptown.php

Toast, from Tartine
Where: 5433 Laurel St
The Sitch: This much-anticipated breakfast joint from Tartine owner Cara Benson will take over the former Laurel Street Bakery locations. Benson tells McNulty that Toast will be "more breakfasty" than Tartine. Think "omelets, crepes, Dutch pancakes (stuffed with lemon curd or jam) and grilled hanger steak with eggs" along with baked goods.
Opening: Mid February

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 31, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 10:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs2886 View Post
Elaborate.
Pure conjecture I dont have any inside knowledge of anything yet.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 10:13 AM

Good news on the office market front downtown, as overall absorption for the year in Class A&B properties came in at 163,648 square feet. Around 9% of all available Class A&B office space in the CBD was absorbed last year. This pushed the occupancy rates for Class A&B buildings to 85.2% in the CBD. 7 of the 14 Class A buildings had occupancy rates exceeding 90%. 1250 Poydras had the lowest Class A occupancy rate at 73.8%. 1010 Common had the lowest Class B occupancy rate at 41.0%. Conversely, the once vacant Exchange Center is now 79.2% occupied. Rents have gone up for class A properties due to the lower vacancy rates, but still run about 5.00/sq.ft cheaper than Metairie.

http://www.srsa-realestate.com/marke...ketdata_44.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 3:48 PM

New Whole Foods on Broad Street has local flair

Very small (even smaller than the Uptown location), but looks great!

Quote:
The new Whole Foods Market opening next week on the corner of Broad and Bienville streets will flaunt a local flair found in everything from produce to hand-painted signs by resident artists.

The 25,000-square foot store will have a community gathering preview party tomorrow, Feb. 1, from 12-3. The store will showcase its 330 local products, including a live banana tree, to be housed in the middle of the store, and more than 115 locally made items in the grocery’s bakery.

Quote:
Whole Foods Market Broad Street salvaged a graffiti painting found in the building prior to development

Rooftop parking is back!

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/01/...air/#more-4468

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 5:56 PM
TL;DR

Interesting. We haven't seen renderings for The Beacon yet but the logo suggests something modern instead of something traditional/warehouse-looking. I appreciate Domain's attempt to bring some architectural variety to these projects, even hiring different architects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations