HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 4:48 AM
loafing in lotusland

That's correct. At YVR, once you clear security, you're practically on US Soil. Your flight is considered domestic by the receiving airport.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:14 AM
Transit User

2nd Train from Seattle to be made permanent!

Late train from Seattle to Vancouver, B.C., to stay on track
By Charla Bear

http://www.kplu.org/post/late-train-...-bc-stay-track

The late train from Seattle to Vancouver, British Columbia, will no longer be coming to a stop.

The nightly service was scheduled to end on October 31, when Canadian officials said they expected Amtrak to start paying for the extra border staff it requires. The Canada Border Services Agency wanted $1500 a day to compensate for keeping patrol agents around later into the evening, according to Railway Age Magazine:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:41 AM

yeah good news, seems a popular service

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:40 PM

Great that things can happen without a (second) big public uproar to force the issue.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
loafing in lotusland

Maybe, just maybe, WSDOT will have a little faith in Vancouver so that they decide to allocate some funding north of Seattle.

I think, overall, it was a bit of a missed opportunity... as Amtrak was initially focusing on the Vancouver - Seattle trip, not the Portland - Seattle part... probably because Vancouver's a bigger size. However, the improvements that WOULD have gone North of Seattle ended up going South of Seattle. As such, they have increased the speed and frequency of trains between Portland and Seattle.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 12:38 AM

I wish they would complete some improvements north, however, due to the border, it is a bit harder to invest in the north. Unless the province is willing to put some skin in the game. The White Rock bypass could be played as a commuter rail system, upgrading the Fraser bridge could perhaps allow commuter rail to Langley and a Delta interurban. However, until the province puts up some funding for improvements and make it viable to run more than 3 RTs per day, I do not see the line down south getting improved. Unless coal trains begin running to Bellingham, then more sidings and 2nd mainline track would be in the forecast.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:50 PM
Mac User

The whole issue of the Canada Border Services Agency wanting $1500 a day from Amtrak was a joke. If the CBSA isn't willing to pay for staff then the trains should just pass through with no inspection. Boarder inspection isn't the concern of Amtrak and it's an inconvenience to passengers.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 4:34 AM
Closed account

I'm taking this train down for the first time. Will be interesting to see how it compares to driving. Due to some strange circumstances I ended up driving to Seattle and back about 6 times this year and I can make it down in just three hours max, but now we're staying right downtown for that PAX convention and the hotel doesn't have free parking (unlike our favorite place out in the U-District, Watertown ) So the train it is!

This is also the first time I've EVER ridden on a heavy rail passenger line. I can't believe I'm almost 30 and the longest biggest train I ever rode on is a four car MKII skytrain. How lame is that?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:38 PM

takes about 4 hours - not convenient for time but nice when you have the time to do it

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 11:53 PM
Cheers!

Not surprising that it takes 4 hours. I saw the Amtrak train moving along at about 40 kph near Braid Skytrain station the other day. They need to seriously think about upgrading the line.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:28 AM

It also doesn't help that the first train leaves at 6:40 am.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:13 AM
Closed account

I have to catch that train thursday morning, don't remind me how early it is! >.<

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:14 PM
loafing in lotusland

If you're taking that trip, can you document how long each segment takes? I'm mostly interested in the Vancouver-Bellingham portion, as that's the real bottleneck. I'm curious as to how much time could actually be saved if we had a proper train bridge, a white rock bypass and other similar improvements. I wanna take a GPS tracker on that trip sometime.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know how long it takes between stations, I'm thinking more along the lines of Pacific Central to Braid Station, Braid to Scott Road, Scott Road to White Rock, White Rock to Blaine... Of course, you may just want to enjoy the ride, as well. XD

Last edited by twoNeurons; Aug 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 5:38 PM
loafing in lotusland

In case anyone is interested, Vancouver - Bellingham isn't technically the SLOWEST part of the Line... that honor goes to Everett - Seattle. However, it's slowest for the longest period... by far:

It averages 48km/h for 100 km. Granted, a small part of that is because of the border crossing, but still, it's pretty slow.

Entering Seattle, it averages 46km/h, but only for 29km/h.

The fastest part of the line is all South of Tacoma, with Kelso to Vancouver, WA being fastest averaging 102km/h, for 64km.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:13 PM

The segment south of the border to Bellingham is actually the fastest segment. Here's a breakdown by segment I've found:

http://www.zachshaner.ca/2010/04/amt...s-reliability/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 8:57 PM

It takes an hour to go from Everett to Seattle? That's ridiculous. Slower than by car in rush hour and double the time of a car during non-peak.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
Big City Enthusiast

that is ridiculous if true.

I find it very very difficult to believe, i mean its only 22 miles and 'what?' one stop between Seattle and Everett. .....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 10:53 PM

I've always found that train ride to be slow and steady. I don't know why some people around here think that as soon as you cross the border it's some kind of high speed rail direct to Seattle. It will take years of work and hundreds of millions of dollars to make a real impact on the time it takes to make the trip.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 11:32 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
that is ridiculous if true.

I find it very very difficult to believe, i mean its only 22 miles and 'what?' one stop between Seattle and Everett. .....
It's 55km (34mi.)from Everett to Seattle. There's one stop at Edmonds which eats up a few minutes and deceleration etc. After Edmonds, it snakes along the waterfront to Seattle's Main Station at 46km/h.

Thanks nname for that link, it makes the Vancouver - Blaine look even MORE embarrassing if that segment also includes one of the faster parts of the line, once you get past Blaine. It barely reaches 43km/h inside Canada.

Once past Blaine, they ratchet it up to 120 km/h+. It's as if the conductor says... okay boys, we're out of Canada, let's show em' how fast we can go...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 6:03 PM

U.S. Border Patrol quietly halts routine bus and train checks along Canadian border
Quote:
The U.S. Border Patrol has quietly stopped its controversial practice of routinely searching buses, trains and airports for illegal immigrants at transportation hubs along the Canadian border and in the nation's interior, preventing agents from using what had long been an effective tool for tracking down people here illegally, The Associated Press has learned.
I wonder if this applies to the Seattle/Vancouver run?

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2218354/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure