HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 1:42 PM
i heart philly

yes

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:57 PM

Boathouse Island?

The peninsula mentioned previously that is to be turned into an island seems to be moving forward. A few weeks ago i saw a bunch of surveyors working that area and today while on a jog i noticed that it has been fenched off and staked out. Small pototoes in the grand scheme but itll be nice getting some fresh water through that stagnant area by the boathouses.

What i'd really love though would be a nice open lively cafe/bar to enjoy a beer on a saturday afternoon overlooking the river

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 7:47 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Good information that. Does anybody know where I can find plans for it?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:49 AM

That's great news! I've been waiting for that to happen. The Schuylkill River Development Corporation website has the renderings and ideas.

Also, there is a cafe at Lloyd Hall, no alcohol, but it seems nice and has outdoor seating overlooking the river and boathouses.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 11:59 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I'm looking for your project phillythrives, but in the meantime some old news...
http://www.schuylkillbanks.org/newsV...D=30&newsID=99
Quote:
Connector Bridge Alignment Announced

The Schuylkill River Development Corporation (SRDC) announced in January that the final alignment for the proposed bridge connecting Schuylkill Banks to the Schuylkill River Park (SRP) has been chosen.

The PEW Charitable Trusts presented SRDC with a grant to manage a Design Concept Team (DCT) that would develop the concept for the bridge and its ramps. The DCT consisted of Fairmount Park, Department of Streets, Commerce Department, PEW, University of Pennsylvania, Friends of Schuylkill River Park, Schuylkill River Park Alliance, Center City Residents Association and SRDC.

Based on budget considerations, CSX constraints, and the potential for SRP betterments, the Design Concept Team decided on a modified version of the scheme preferred at a Public Meeting on November 4, which will minimize or eliminate impacts of the bridge on Schuylkill River Park. The option, shown below, not only provides a detour for use when the crossing is blocked, but also will provide a link between Schuylkill Banks and SRP and beyond. There will be opportunities to enhance both SRP and Schuylkill Banks and provide a potential intersection with a proposed (future) pedestrian bridge across the Schuylkill to the University of Pennsylvania.

Consistent with the City of Philadelphia and CSX Agreement signed April 24, 2007, the bridge is scheduled for completion in October 2009. The DCT is committed to meeting the deadline and, with continued cooperation of all stakeholders, believes that the bridge should be available for use at that time.
Also the three posters around the Locust Street Loop (the last one is gone, unfortunately):

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadelphiathrives View Post
Also, there is a cafe at Lloyd Hall, no alcohol, but it seems nice and has outdoor seating overlooking the river and boathouses.
I run by it every morning. not trying to hate on the place but its pretty halfassed. and the view of the river pretty much just overlooks that stagnant lagoon and the end of boathouse row.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 7:48 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

OP extended. Paine's Park info added.

Other news: A City Paper article on kayaking down the tidal Schuylkill is to be found here.
Quote:
You don't notice it so much on the water, but the Schuylkill winds. Past the halfway house, around a big bend, is a fantastically green, lush, snaking stretch that might make you think you're in Montgomery County, or somewhere wilder. Jittery ducks fly off as we approach, hollering like car alarms, the tips of their wings skimming the river's surface. From the west the historic Woodlands Cemetery peers down; to the east is the DuPont Crescent, so named for the Dupont plant at 34th and Grays Ferry Avenue. This land was donated by the DuPont family. The SRDC has received $150,000 in grants — part of the Take Me to the River program — for trail expansion and a river-crossing feasibility study. The plan is for a trail to run along here and for the old, out-of-service railroad swing bridge just south of the Grays Ferry Avenue bridge to support a bike bridge. This would bring people one step closer to Bartram's Garden, the hidden bucolic jewel of Southwest Philadelphia. Bartram's, with its manicured foliage and sprawling meadow, is the country's oldest botanical garden with plant strains dating to pre-revolutionary America. It is an Edenic oasis in what's known as a rough neighborhood.

Judging by the number of people we see sitting with fishing poles, the fish enjoy Bartram's, as well. Off the pier of a former gypsum plant, three locals — Kenny Bennett, Kevin Smith and Jada Moye, all of nearby Bartram's Village — tell us they're casting for catfish. Over the course of the morning, the trio will pull five or six fat fish out of the water, with every intention of eating them.
[/snip]

Also pertinent: I saw in the Metro recently that the Safdie Central Library expansion might be getting federal stimulus funds, interestingly enough.
Yes indeedy. http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/...6-85/index.xml
Quote:
Federal money could mean library expansion

CENTER CITY. Construction of a 180,000-square-foot addition to the main branch of the Free Library may begin after all, as early as the summer, if federal stimulus money is secured in the next couple of months, a library official said yesterday.

Library Foundation vice president Sandra Horrocks said construction could begin in two to three months if $35 million in federal money is secured to augment the $105 million already raised.

“We’ll break ground if we get to about $140 million,” Horrocks said at the third annual Free Library Festival. “We would know in about two or three months. ... This fits with what [the federal government is] trying to do. Create jobs and green buildings and we’re ready to go.”

The project originally designed in 2003 became a casualty of the local economic crisis last December amid Mayor Michael Nutter’s proposal to shut 11 neighborhood branches to help close a $1 billion city budget deficit.

The library board indefinitely postponed the expansion, which would include a new 300-computer media center and 550-seat auditorium, at a Dec. 3 meeting. Officials said they would re-examine the project every few months.

Horrocks yesterday said the project was never off the table and that now officials were increasingly optimistic because the project meets the federal stimulus’ requirements in areas of green construction and “shovel-ready” job creation.

“There is a lot of federal money available for Broadband, green sustainable buildings and shovel ready construction,” Horrocks said.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:30 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I was down on the Banks yesterday and noticed they put up a new "Future Developments" poster over by the Locust loop. Can somebody get a picture of it?

There's a render of a proposed bridge across the Schuylkill through the old swing bridge as well as a bit of info on Paine's Park on it now!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
OP extended. Paine's Park info added.

Other news: A City Paper article on kayaking down the tidal Schuylkill is to be found here.
[/snip]

Also pertinent: I saw in the Metro recently that the Safdie Central Library expansion might be getting federal stimulus funds, interestingly enough.
Yes indeedy. http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/...6-85/index.xml
Not to get too far off topic, but I just read this thread at the library and the mouse pad has a picture of the model of the library expansion. What a cool coincidence! And great news!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:46 PM

Movement

Not all that sexy but as i run by everyday i figured i do my part to contribute. On the Peninsula between the Waterworks and Boathouse Row they have started excavating the canal that will make that island into...an island? A ton of trees have been cleared and they're clearly moving forward. I wish i had more details about what this is going to be.

As an aside i did the loop around the museum and got a good look at the new parking garage. And as far as parking garages go this thing is pretty sharp. Its built into the side of the hill and any uncovered sides hidden by landscaping and tiered with good looking stone. The top will be a sculpture garden although that's not yet finished.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 12:24 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

It would be nice if any of us knew what's going on with that bit over by that dam. Geez. Sometimes the Fairmount Park Commission can be a real pain in the...

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:36 PM
Hello.

Thanks for posting the Central Library expansion info, that's great news. Also, what is this talk of an island across from the Water Works? I've heard it mentioned before but I don't fully understand.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 6:15 PM

I was walking along the trail yesterday and saw markings and posts for some of the new improvements they're planning just south of the Art Museum. The markings mentioned pavers and had measurements. Looks like they are about to start working on those improvements.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 7:22 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

From today's phillyskyline.com:
Quote:

This mostly healthy ramble rambles on, down Sansom Street past the new Melograno, the old comic book store, and the Day by Day. Here we are at Sansom's Center City finish line and the Prequel Phase 1 of Mandeville Place. The makeover of the former Rosenbluth Building has taken a top-down approach and is close enough to completion that one can envision the end result:

It's not great, not bad, and it lets in a lot more light than it used to with those new windows. I think we can agree, though, that it'd look a lot better as the podium to a 43 story Richard Meier rising from that parking lot and a green-lined rooftop restaurant looking over Walnut Street.

Down on the Schuylkill River Trail, or Schuylkill Banks, or Center City Hike-Bike Path, or John F Street Byway of Integrity -- call it what you will -- future stages are beginning to take shape. At the current southern terminus, the circle at Locust Street, big signs with renderings and descriptions have been installed, and within plain sight of the South Street Bridge's progress, including the clearing of the banks that will eventually see the extension of the trail. And seen above, the new stairway at the JFK Boulevard bridge is coming into view.

The bridge itself has gotten a makeover too, with a new deck, paint job and concrete sealant:

The John F Street Byway of Integrity seems like an appropriate place to be mostly healthy, so we're gonna finish this mostly healthy stroll here among the mostly healthy joggers, cyclists, bladers, dog walkers and lovers. This Philly Skyline Philly Skyline was a popular one during Comcast Center's construction, and as nearly as I can tell, we haven't checked in here since that building opened. So here we are, mid-spring, after the blossoms and into the green, but before the rain's through with us.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 5:20 PM

Market Street-East from Juniper Street (1890)

Market Houses-Market Street East of 6th Street (1860) Gone now, just east of 6th, with Independence Mall in their place. Is that a top hat - upper right?

Site of Independence Mall, looking north, with rear of Independence Hall in foreground. No date on this one. Sorry.

credit: City of Philadelphia (phillyhistory.org)

Last edited by bucks native; May 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfrank View Post
Not all that sexy but as i run by everyday i figured i do my part to contribute. On the Peninsula between the Waterworks and Boathouse Row they have started excavating the canal that will make that island into...an island? A ton of trees have been cleared and they're clearly moving forward. I wish i had more details about what this is going to be.
I believe the idea is to fill-in that swampish lagoon area and landscape the area so that green space is extended all the way to the rivers edge. As of now its Kelly Drive path, swamp, inaccessible thick brush. The Art Museum area is really seeing world class improvements.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 4:02 AM

website with the changes to the island at boat house row

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 5:46 PM
Just call me "Sharpie"

I saw the article as well regarding the prequel to phase 1 of the Mandeville Place, but I thought that Mandeville Place was pretty much dead, is it still possible?

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 5:51 PM
Just call me "Sharpie"

Wow, very interesting to see the independence hall photo from 1860 and the building to the far right, about 12 stories high and square, which is the public ledger building, is where I had my wedding reception. Very cool to me anyway!

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 1:08 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

OP extended. Logansquare's link added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SharpeMan View Post
I saw the article as well regarding the prequel to phase 1 of the Mandeville Place, but I thought that Mandeville Place was pretty much dead, is it still possible?
If they're working on the Rosenblunth place now, I don't see why not. I thought it was dead, too, but if there's work going on, then I doubt it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development