HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 3:43 PM

Looks good - but is it a historic landmark, and could this affect it's status (like Soldier Field in Chicago losing it's status after renovation)?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 5:42 PM

I can't get over how expensive the addition is with only 180,000 sf added.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
I can't get over how expensive the addition is with only 180,000 sf added.
It's not just about size, but quality.

This will be quite a high-tech, high-class facility. The LEED Silver rating adds to the cost. And the jobs are union jobs: that adds to the cost, but also stimulates the local economy more than non-union jobs.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 7:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow, that's an amazing expansion. And wouldn't they also remodel the current library? Taking up a lot of what the cost will be.

Anyways, good for Philly.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:18 AM

With all these projects lined up for the Parkway, it might finally develop into what it was intended to be. But as of right now it's as boring and soulless as ever.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 9:40 PM

New landscaping construction is currently going ahead full steam on the Banks between Race St and MLK Drive, which will create a small plaza and river overlook:

The Schuykill Banks website also has a rundown of current and near future projects here on its website: http://www.schuylkillbanks.org/newsV...D=0&newsID=148

Among other things, the Locust to South Street boardwalk and the elevated track crossing at Locust Street have completion set by the end of 2010. I hope that's not too good to be true!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 6:55 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Thanks for the link Muji! I'll have to really update the start page with info from it soon...when I'm not so sleepy, maybe, and when I have plenty of free time.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwd22 View Post
With all these projects lined up for the Parkway, it might finally develop into what it was intended to be. But as of right now it's as boring and soulless as ever.
It's agreed that The Parkway is too auto-centered. The Center City District (CCD) has plans to make The Parkway pedestrian-friendly. The CCD gets things done. Check its website.

With The Barnes next door to the expanded library, the renovated Aviator Park and the museum's Perelman annex and planned underground expansion, we're assured a transformed Parkway.

What's happened to the former school administration building that sits beside(west side) the Franklin Institute? Last I heard, it would be condos.

Last edited by bucks native; Apr 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
It's agreed that The Parkway is too auto-centered. The Center City District (CCD) has plans to make The Parkway pedestrian-friendly. The CCD gets things done. Check its website.

With The Barnes next door to the expanded library, the renovated Aviator Park and the museum's Perelman annex and planned underground expansion, we're assured a transformed Parkway.

What's happened to the former school administration building that sits beside(west side) the Franklin Institute. Last I heard, it would be condos.

The Administration building has been developed into apartments (not condos). They are relatively high-end and it has brought new residents into the area. The plans for re-doing the parkway from 22nd to 20th street are good and result in a decrease in traffic lanes and an increase in bike lane widths, and the plan is to also re-do Sister City Park (in front of the Cathedral).

All and all positive developments.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:26 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

All excellent. I also heard something about work on the pocket park proposals between the Schuylkill Banks and the Parkway...

Also, shouldn't the Williams Tsien Barnes design have come out months ago? If it did it's the best kept secret in the Northeast.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

OP extended. Q: does anyone have any new photos of the progress of the South Street Bridge?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:53 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Why is construction east of 13th proceeding faster than that west of it?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:03 PM

I'm only guessing, but maybe the priority is being placed on connecting the old with the new.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
Resident Jackass

I think it's just because they started over there and are working their way west.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:30 AM

Thanks, Logan. I was afraid the admin building might be empty and decaying. Has exterior illumination been installed? It's a handsome building but kind of hidden. With the right lighting, I'm sure it would stand out nicely at night.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 12:27 AM

Lightbulb Philadelphia...

..That would be a great factor to every book enthusiasts....!

taux emprunt
immobilier

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 1:58 PM
Corporate logo

PHILADELPHIA | Philly Live!

Philly Live!

Usage: Entertainment/Retail
Size: 350,000 square feet
Developers:
• Comcast-Spectacor
• Cordish Co.
Estimated Cost: $100,000,000
Groundbreaking: Early 2010
Completion: 2011

Photo Courtesy of Comcast-Spectacor and The Cordish Company

A glitzy game plan for developing Spectrum site

A glitzy game plan for developing Spectrum site A plan to bring life to the vast asphalt desert around Philadelphia's stadium complex moved forward yesterday when a Baltimore developer released drawings for a $100 million entertainment center that would provide easier connections among Wachovia Center, Citizens Bank Park, and Lincoln Financial Field.

The glitzy architectural renderings, presented to the city Planning Commission, showed a two-block-long, diagonal street lined with restaurants, bars, and shops. Modeled on such destinations as Boston's Quincy Market and Baltimore's Power Plant Live!, the partly enclosed street linking the sports venues would displace the Spectrum, which is scheduled for demolition early next year.

The project, called Philly Live!, is being developed jointly by Comcast-Spectacor and the Cordish Co., which created a similar entertainment district around a former power station at Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Although they announced their partnership more than 18 months ago, yesterday was the first time they have gone public with a detailed site plan and renderings.

Gary A. Block, the Cordish vice president overseeing the project, said the company hoped to start construction of the 350,000-square-foot entertainment center by this time next summer. But that schedule is tied to the Spectrum's demolition, which is expected to begin in early 2010.

The project Cordish presented yesterday was just the first phase of what could be a much more expansive entertainment district, Block said. Cordish is also trying to snare a "boutique hotel" for a spot on Pattison Avenue near the ballpark.

The Planning Commission did not vote yesterday on the project. According to Block, the design fully meets the city's zoning requirements. But city planner William Kramer said some legislation may yet be required before construction can start.

Although commission members enthusiastically praised the idea of filling in the asphalt landscape south of Pattison Avenue, several also raised concerns about Cordish's site plan. Philly Live! will be located more than a block from the Broad Street subway entrance, and a huge empty zone of parking will continue to separate the complex from transit and Philadelphia's central boulevard.

"It's an island we're designing," Block conceded.

Nevertheless, the other commission members nodded in assent when Natalia Olson de Savyckj gushed, "I love this project."

The lack of a transit connection is partly a result of the way the stadium district has evolved. The former Veterans Stadium was designed to anchor the corner of Broad Street and Pattison Avenue. But the new Citizens Bank ballpark and Lincoln Financial Field football stadium were built farther away, and they are now a three-block hike from the subway.

Link

Additional reading here.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 4:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

So its mall? Is this really happening? Looks like Orlando.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 4:21 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I think it would be a good idea if there wasn't so damn much parking.

I'll bet that's what the Planning Commission'll say, too.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 4:59 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

We'll see how it goes. I do admit to liking the idea of the diagonal avenue. I like spaces that disrupt the grid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development