HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:27 AM

It says the requirements are 12 floors or 115 feet

Anywho... I will post this here too, I already posted it on the Philadelphia Thread.

Wow.... didn't expect this one to go through. Looks like construction could start anytime. This will be a HUGE bonus to the Old City area.

http://planphilly.com/news/notebook/...idnt-fit-area-

401 Race Street Hotel is a go! It will include a hotel, entertainment (a club) and residential units. Here is the last render I remember seeing.

I assume it will be on the entire block and the building currently there will be demo'd?

Here is another render.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:00 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Summer, one of the major reasons I merged Chestnut is because it won't get enough traffic to deserve its own thread. It's a relatively minor building in the grand scheme of things.

Anyhoo, new news on the National:

http://nakedphilly.com/old-city/the-national/

Quote:
The structure will be a mix of studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments (available at market rate) and feature two ground-floor commercial spaces (1200 and 1400 sq. ft.). We wonder who will occupy those spaces? The new building will replace the former National Products building, which closed almost a decade ago. Not to worry, though. The iconic tile wall with deco touches that fronts the building along N. 2nd Street will be preserved and restored. The finished product promises to be an interesting intersection of modernist and contemporary architecture, and will sit immediately next to row homes built in the early 18th century. Awesome.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
12 Floors on Chestnut? Sheesh!

If you are going to all that trouble of getting the manpower and machinery on tiny Chestnut St why not make it worth the hassle. This should be a 30 story project minimum. Unbelievable.

The city had a momentary grasp on what works in the late 80's early 90's height boom but they have lost their way since. These are projects that belong in Conshohocken or Norristown not Center City.
Heck - why not go for 200 floors (minimum)! Any moron can see the Philly market here is strong enough to absorb the units. Unbelievable.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Just to pre-empt any further remarks along these lines, I call shot gun -

What is this - 6 floors? Are they nuts? This should be at least 50 floors, if not more ! They knew how to do tall buildings in the old days. Nowadays they're just a bunch of wussies. 6 stories: pshaw.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:04 PM

Damn Cro, you're really in a bad mood today aren't you? lol...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Damn Cro, you're really in a bad mood today aren't you? lol...
Hell yes - want tall, and I want it now dammit. I have a new motto:

The only good building less than one million floors is one that never gets built!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:22 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quit your penis envy, boys.

Which is better for Center City, a 100-story tower in a superblock set back 20 feet from the nearest street? Or a 10-story building built to the lot line with shops along the ground floor and lots of pedestrian traffic? Which feels lively? Which feels desolate? Which feels like the Center City you would want to live in?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:27 PM

Hahaha...hilarious.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Quit your penis envy, boys.

Which is better for Center City, a 100-story tower in a superblock set back 20 feet from the nearest street? Or a 10-story building built to the lot line with shops along the ground floor and lots of pedestrian traffic? Which feels lively? Which feels desolate? Which feels like the Center City you would want to live in?
Screw urban context!!! 1 trillion floors or bust, baby.

Of course you must realize I am kidding - but can folks quit this endless "this development sucks it should be 40 floors taller" commentary?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 9:20 PM

Would love to hear thoughts on our urban opinions...

Cro, I remember when I was always in the "40 flrs or bust" club, but I think some of our forumers could be fixated on that feature without looking at the comprehensive impact of what a building like that produces in that part of the city. And I don't mean to talk about people as if they're not in the conversation as well, but it is an evolution of thinking about urbanity and the appealing physical qualities large population centers possess.

Traveling to more and more places without blockbuster skylines--but lovely and lively communities--I've come to appreciate highrises and downtowns in a more neutral tone. More from the perspective of economic density and development.

With that in mind, are people that seek higher-storied buildings doing so out of the fact that these developable lots are in Center City, which is arguably the place where taller buildings should be?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Cro, I remember when I was always in the "40 flrs or bust" club, but I think some of our forumers could be fixated on that feature without looking at the comprehensive impact of what a building like that produces in that part of the city. And I don't mean to talk about people as if they're not in the conversation as well, but it is an evolution of thinking about urbanity and the appealing physical qualities large population centers possess.

Traveling to more and more places without blockbuster skylines--but lovely and lively communities--I've come to appreciate highrises and downtowns in a more neutral tone. More from the perspective of economic density and development.

With that in mind, are people that seek higher-storied buildings doing so out of the fact that these developable lots are in Center City, which is arguably the place where taller buildings should be?
After living in DC I have a very strong appreciation on mid-rise buildings. I think a mix of high-rise and mid-rise is perfect for the downtown or center city area as it allows for very high density levels that I believe are the key to being prosperous.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:17 PM

DC is an excellent example of a city that makes good use of midrise buildings. I guess it helps that it is a very powerful city and has no highrises, which means no vacant lots, parking lots, drive thrus, gas stations, stand alone tire shops, etc. in their downtown. If every empty/underutilized lot in Philly was replaced with a 12 story building, with decent architectural design, and ground floor retail, I wouldn't miss the skyscrapers.

The reason Dilworth Plaza doesn't work (in any form) is because of the over saturation of plazas in the immediate vicinity. Philly just doesn't have the population (non-homeless) to make use of three adjacent parks - Dilworth, Love, and Municipal Services. I'd rather have one good plaza than three lousy ones, which is what we have now. I don't see how replacing the concrete with grass will make difference. The problem is too many plazas, not enough people.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 11:20 PM

I've lived in Center City, and now live in DC (Capitol Hill), and I completely agree that Philly should focus on 6 - 12 story infill. I mean, another huge skyscraper or two near Comcast would be great, but what would really fill in the parking lots and empty lots would be smaller scale construction.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The reason Dilworth Plaza doesn't work (in any form) is because of the over saturation of plazas in the immediate vicinity. Philly just doesn't have the population (non-homeless) to make use of three adjacent parks - Dilworth, Love, and Municipal Services. I'd rather have one good plaza than three lousy ones, which is what we have now. I don't see how replacing the concrete with grass will make difference. The problem is too many plazas, not enough people.
It's interesting due to the sheer amount of activity in the general area. Aside from Dilworth, there is the Court building being built in full swing, two new parking lots (with other components) being built on Arch, across from the convention center. The convention center expansion itself which just finished relatively recently (though I agree it is of dubious value. It would be great if the northern end of Love Park could be somehow developed, though I don't see that happening. I have high hopes for Dilworth, the design will help alot, IMO, but your underlying point does stand.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 11:40 AM

FIT Expansion Contractor Chosen

Skanska to be contractor for Franklin Institute expansion in Phila. - Philadelphia Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...article_search

...said Monday it is set to start construction this spring on a planned $37.4 million addition.

The Nicholas and Athena Karabots Pavilion, as the 53,000-square-foot project will be known, will include an education-and-conference center, a permanent exhibition called “Your Brain” and a gallery for changing exhibitions. It is expected to open in the summer of 2014.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:45 PM

Update on the large development at 18th and Cecil B. Moore.

Here is the full article.
http://nakedphilly.com/temple/why-no...l-b-moore-ave/

I will have more Temple updates shortly.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:01 PM

More Temple U updates.

Edberg-Olson Practice Field Addition

New Norris/Diamond PHA houses. Notice the new Diamond Green Student Housing going up behind it.

PHA Houses

Diamond Green Student Housing

Diamond Green lot (Phase two)

Norris/ Diamond PHA homes. Diamond Green in the foreground

Paseo Verde lot (sorry I couldn't get a good pic)

A random cool shot of Center City

Pearson-McGongile Hall

New Rowhomes with retail on the bottom floor on Cecil B.

Rehab on Carlisle South of Campus

New Temple Nest Apartments

New Apartments on 15th next to Elmira Jeffries Dorm

Another new one on 15th

Large Development on 17th Street

2 going up on Berks Street

Two more on 17th Street

There is not much activity currently at the site for the New Parking Garage on Montgomery. All work on the Wanamaker redevelopment site has halted. Haven't seen any action in a few weeks.

There are also a TON of other rowhomes going up in the area and new zoning notices popping up everywhere everyday.

Pictures of the new 24 floor residence hall will be posted on the thread for it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:15 AM

Are those solar panels?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:45 AM

Drexel dorm

oops - wrong board

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlg569 View Post
Are those solar panels?
On top of the PHA Houses? Yes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development