HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Hmm, it says in giant letters "Now serving Gatineau!" Maybe they hadn't yet pushed updates out when you checked it.

https://www.pascan.com/en/
Hum, it only says offering connections to 14 destination starting september 8. I don't think that they will be adding new flights other than the quebec and montreal flights it has now. I personally would love to have a Gatineau-Bathurst flight but I doubt that will happen.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Hum, it only says offering connections to 14 destination starting september 8. I don't think that they will be adding new flights other than the quebec and montreal flights it has now. I personally would love to have a Gatineau-Bathurst flight but I doubt that will happen.
I think Gatineau-Bathurst will be one of them.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I've never had any luck finding deals that made the extra 3 hours worth it, but that is where is does make sense - you've got time to spare, you're buying 3 or 4 tickets and flying to a U.S. destination.
I've saved 1500 bucks. For that kind of money I can make the time.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I've never had any luck finding deals that made the extra 3 hours worth it, but that is where is does make sense - you've got time to spare, you're buying 3 or 4 tickets and flying to a U.S. destination.
It seems to me that Syracuse has become less competitive lately, especially overseas where they now seem to be generally more than Ottawa.

Ogdensburg IMHO has a lot of potential to be very disruptive to the Ottawa airport as for many it won't add much time at all.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It seems to me that Syracuse has become less competitive lately, especially overseas where they now seem to be generally more than Ottawa.

Ogdensburg IMHO has a lot of potential to be very disruptive to the Ottawa airport as for many it won't add much time at all.
That could be the case for SYR. I have not shopped for flights there in a year or a year and a half. But some of friends have flown out of there as recently as this past spring.

Even when I did shop for flights out of SYR, it was never a good deal for overseas. Nor for the Caribbean. The deals for those are better out of YOW or YUL.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

$30M Ottawa airport runway revamp heats up

Ian MacLeod, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 18, 2014, Last Updated: July 25, 2014 7:19 PM EDT

Eighty-five thousand tonnes of hot asphalt lands at the Ottawa airport next week.

The mammoth paving job is one of the final parts of a complex, $30-million reconstruction of the big, north-south runway 14/32, which measures more than three kilometres long and 60 metres wide.

A “shave-and-pave” asphalt milling was done in 2000. But this is the first major refurbishment of the 10,000-foot landing strip since 1951, the year prime minister Louis St. Laurent moved into 24 Sussex Dr.

Closed to air traffic since late May, the airport’s longest runway has been excavated and rebuilt with a new gravel base, lighting, wiring, conduits and a storm sewer line.

“These kinds of projects take an awful lot of co-ordination with the carriers, with the regulators,” says Krista Kealey, airport spokeswoman. “Then just simply having the work done is huge, especially when you’ve got an active airport.”

Now comes the really sticky part.

Workers with contractor R.W. Tomlinson begin laying a new asphalt surface on Monday, weather permitting.

When the neighbouring 8,000-foot runway 7/25 was reconstructed last year, workers put down an astonishing 9,000 tonnes of asphalt a day, says Ian Bell, the airport’s vice-president of operations and infrastructure. (The small 04/22 general aviation runway in the north field was reconstructed in 2010.)

In the meantime, big, bright X’s at each end of the disabled 14/32 strip warn off pilots who might somehow miss an air traffic controller’s landing instructions. Arriving and departing planes have been shifted to 7/25, giving residents on the north and south sides of the region a reprieve from the roar of jet engines.

Air passengers shouldn’t notice anything different when 14/32 reopens in late September. Airline pilots will.

“We’re basically taking a runway and rebuilding it to comply with the highest international standards … to increase the safety,” says Bell

Improvements will include:
  • A “runway end safety area” or RESA will be installed at each end of the strip to stop out-of-control airliners. Major runways in Canada require a graded, unobstructed buffer zone extending at least 150 metres past the runway’s end for last-ditch emergency stopping. But the airport is doubling that length to 300 metres to meet the International Civil Aviation Organization’s minimum standard for emergency stopping zones, with which much of the world complies. Essentially a big sandbox made from compacted stone, a RESA can dramatically slow and stop a speeding jetliner barrelling off the end of a runway. It will be 100 metres wide and extend 240 metres from the end of the paved “runway strip”. The strip extends 60 metres from the runway’s thresholds. The east-west 7/25 runway, the airport’s main commercial runway, already has RESAs at each end;
  • Two key taxiways, Delta and Lima, are being realigned to make it easier for big jets to enter and exit the runway;
  • The runway’s drainage design, which had been a “crossfall” configuration sloping from left to right, is being re-profiled with a down-the-middle “centre crown” to direct rain and snow melt to shed equally in both directions. That will be especially helpful in winter. With the crossfall, run-off from melting snowbanks on the left side would sometimes refreeze on the runway as it drained to the right side.
  • Next year, once the asphalt has sufficiently cured, the runway will be grooved to enhance drainage and reduce hydroplaning. The 7/25 runway was grooved last year, making Ottawa the only Tier 1 airport in Canada with a grooved runway, mandatory in the United States, says Kealey.

Runway 14/32 by the numbers

10,000 feet/3,049 metres
Length of runway 14/32

$30 million
Cost of major reconstruction

Estimated tonnes of asphalt need for resurfacing

300 x 150-metres
Length and width of new runway end safety areas

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...evamp-heats-up

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:30 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

From 22DEC14, Air Canada is launching new seasonal operation on Ottawa – Samana route. This new service to The Dominican Republic operates once a week on Mondays, on board Embraer E190 aircraft.

AC1692 YOW0555 – 1120AZS E90 1
AC1693 AZS1210 – 1540YOW E90 1

http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/31/ac-yowazs-dec14/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 4:14 AM

Ac838/839

Posted on another website, Ben Lipsey at Air Canada has confirmed that YOW-FRA has indeed been removed from the W14/15 schedule, scheduled to be back next spring.

Presumably April/May.

I'm a little surprised it's gone entirely for the Fall/Winter. I would have expected it to remain a few days per week.

LHR remains daily.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Posted on another website, Ben Lipsey at Air Canada has confirmed that YOW-FRA has indeed been removed from the W14/15 schedule, scheduled to be back next spring.

Presumably April/May.

I'm a little surprised it's gone entirely for the Fall/Winter. I would have expected it to remain a few days per week.

LHR remains daily.
Thank you NOWINYOW. Thanks to your message I went to check my AC reservation for flight AC 839 leaving Oct 26. Indeed, they cancelled it and apparently I would have been sent an email next week. I was supposed to fly FCO to FRA then FRA to YOW. Now they were booking me FCO-FRA-YYZ-YOW. To avoid this, I am returning to YOW a day earlier on FCO-YYZ-YOW. They wouldn't give me a window seat on the FCO-YYZ portion because only preferred seats remained, even though, I had paid a Flex seat in the first place, THEY had cancelled my flight, and if I had originally booked FCO-YYZ on the 25th, I would have paid LESS.....
I know that when I purchased FRA-YOW at the beginning of August for departure October 26, the flight was already half full. Moreover, I know from a YOW AC employee that that the FRA flight does very well and is even sometimes overbooked!!! Load factors are excellent. And bear in mind that I flew Air Canada from YYZ to CDG on a half-empty plane.
Unfortunately, until some Non-STAR Alliance European airlines come to Ottawa, YOW will remain hostage and at the mercy of Air Canada for flights to Europe.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWhopeful View Post
Moreover, I know from a YOW AC employee that that the FRA flight does very well and is even sometimes overbooked!!! Load factors are excellent. And bear in mind that I flew Air Canada from YYZ to CDG on a half-empty plane.
Unfortunately, until some Non-STAR Alliance European airlines come to Ottawa, YOW will remain hostage and at the mercy of Air Canada for flights to Europe.

I don't use that flight much anymore. Maybe a few times a year. It was always full though. I'll be on it on next week. A number of my coworkers also take advantage of that flight. While there are a fair number of Star Alliance connections available in LHR, FRA had far more connections with Lufthansa.

I wonder if "lift" is becoming an issue and a sacrifice or two had to be made. I believe a few more '67's are heading to Rouge. Possibly the B787 replacements aren't coming in quick enough to replace one for one?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
I wonder if "lift" is becoming an issue and a sacrifice or two had to be made.?
Scuttlebutt on the other forum is that the Middle-East carriers are cutting into Air Canada trans-Atlantic capacity in Toronto... so passengers from Ottawa need to be rerouted to fill those planes

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:41 PM

I just checked Air Canada's published schedule in light of the discussion on Air Canada 838/839 flight to/from Frankfurt.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...les/index.html

Unless I'm seeing things from schedules starting October 26, I note the following for both the Frankfurt and London UK flights:
- Flights 838 and 888 from Ottawa will run Saturdays and Sundays
- Flights 839 and 889 to Ottawa will only run Sundays only

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Unless I'm seeing things from schedules starting October 26, I note the following for both the Frankfurt and London UK flights:
- Flights 838 and 888 from Ottawa will run Saturdays and Sundays
- Flights 839 and 889 to Ottawa will only run Sundays only
I agree completely with your interpretation of the timetable to which you refer.

However... try doing a dummy booking on random dates in December...

Ottawa <-> Frankfurt booked on Sat/Sun all route through YYZ or YUL (i.e. 838, 839 don't exist).

Ottawa <-> London booked on a weekday all show 888 and 889 non-stops as options.

Hmmmm...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
I agree completely with your interpretation of the timetable to which you refer.

However... try doing a dummy booking on random dates in December...

Ottawa <-> Frankfurt booked on Sat/Sun all route through YYZ or YUL (i.e. 838, 839 don't exist).

Ottawa <-> London booked on a weekday all show 888 and 889 non-stops as options.

Hmmmm...
Whatever it is, it's too bad they are signficantly reducing the direct flights to/from Frankfurt and London UK.

Anyways, this news release was just tweeted out: http://ottawa-airport.ca/corporate/a...eather-arrives

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 3:32 AM

Looks like AC88 from Shanghai was diverted to Ottawa tonight because of the weather.

http://ottawa-airport.ca/flight-information/arrivals

The flight is listed on the Ottawa airport website as well. Too bad it doesn't say "Shanghai" on the arrivals page, but rather --. :p

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa89 View Post
Looks like AC88 from Shanghai was diverted to Ottawa tonight because of the weather.

The flight is listed on the Ottawa airport website as well. Too bad it doesn't say "Shanghai" on the arrivals page, but rather --. :p
Cathay Pacific flight 826 also diverted here to Ottawa, along with many other flights to Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:03 PM

Pascan aviation has updated its the list of flights. They let you book flights to 10 different destinations in Québec but only the Québec city and Montreal flights appear to be direct flights, the rest of them are connecting flights. I am unsure of this since I can't seem to actually find the list of available direct flights for the airline anywhere.

Bonaventure (CYVB)
Havre Saint-Pierre (CYGV)
Iles-de-la-Madeleine (CYGR)
Mont-Joli (CYYY)
Montreal (Saint-Hubert) (CYHU)
Quebec (CYQB)
Rouyn-Noranda (CYUY)
Sept-Iles (CYZV)
Val D'Or (CYVO)
Wabush / Fermont (CYWK)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Pascan aviation has updated its the list of flights. They let you book flights to 10 different destinations in Québec but only the Québec city and Montreal flights appear to be direct flights, the rest of them are connecting flights. I am unsure of this since I can't seem to actually find the list of available direct flights for the airline anywhere.

Bonaventure (CYVB)
Havre Saint-Pierre (CYGV)
Iles-de-la-Madeleine (CYGR)
Mont-Joli (CYYY)
Montreal (Saint-Hubert) (CYHU)
Quebec (CYQB)
Rouyn-Noranda (CYUY)
Sept-Iles (CYZV)
Val D'Or (CYVO)
Wabush / Fermont (CYWK)
I'm assuming that that's from Gatineau CYND?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
I'm assuming that that's from Gatineau CYND?

Yes.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:21 AM

YOW-FRA route

For what it's worth, I was on the AC839 flight on Monday the 8th, and the load factor was about 96%
Two in economy and 5 in executive first, so I don't get how Air Canada is cutting completely the YOW-FRA route in the winter months...we even had A330-300 servicing the route this past May. I've taken this route 6-7 times all in the summer but every time the load factor was almost completely full, if not 100%
Unless Air France/KLM come to YOW, Air Canada could do anything. We need more international competition to have a chance but unfortunatelly YUL is so close to us and we pay the price for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation