HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Colket Translational Research Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:50 PM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
from a distance....west philly rising

picture of chop tower construction and some others...quite a few cranes on the horizon though...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 8:14 PM

The whole hospital looks like a miny downtown now

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 3:40 PM
Corporate logo

Bump.

Palms is saying that he spoke to someone working on the project that parts of the tower will be 32 stories. One can only help this is true.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 10:35 PM
Corporate logo

Here's an updated photo from today, up to the 11th floor.

And a rendering that hasn't been posted before. This was outside the construction site.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 11:25 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

The ultimate height of this building almost seems like a "play it by ear" situation. That illustration isn't quite 32 floors but it's more than the 22 it was last time. Anyway I have been watching it go up from my windows and it is definetly starting to impact the far western skyline. I have a feeling this one is going to be more than the usual University City squat box.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 2:16 AM
Person

32 stories, holy hell! That would be huge for University City.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 2:43 AM

Hey guys, my friend actually is an architect on this project and it is going to be 12 floors total in the first phase with potential to go to some 32 stories in its following stages. However he did say that the funding and need are both there for the next stages, however, CHoP was interested in completing the first phase in order to begin operations in the building.

The very vague word is CHoP hopes to move to the second phase within 5 years...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
Hey guys, my friend actually is an architect on this project and it is going to be 12 floors total in the first phase with potential to go to some 32 stories in its following stages. However he did say that the funding and need are both there for the next stages, however, CHoP was interested in completing the first phase in order to begin operations in the building.

I thought this was known from the beginning? That's what the front page says at least...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 6:27 AM
Everywhere all at once

That cross-bracing is pretty hot.....makes me wish it showed through the glass....eh, it might. Just because the rendering doesn't show it, well, one can hope, right?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
I thought this was known from the beginning? That's what the front page says at least...
It has, but the previous few posts before mine seemed to be speculating if it was going forward with the full 32 right off the bat... just trying to help quell the rumors. Its an eventuality, so with patience it will be the whole building people seem to want.

Anyway just trying to help.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 3:04 PM
BANNED

No no, thanks for the clarification about why the floor count is still up in the air! The previous posts sounded like this was brand new news or something that's all, and I was the one who was confused about that. I wonder how adding floor in the future would work...sounds messy

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 8:07 PM

A shame there's no ground-level retail but what do you expect? It's an institutional building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:13 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
No no, thanks for the clarification about why the floor count is still up in the air! The previous posts sounded like this was brand new news or something that's all, and I was the one who was confused about that. I wonder how adding floor in the future would work...sounds messy
The problem is that several people claim to have "inside" information and one tip conflits with the other so who knows what to believe. I agree that it is pretty far fetched to have people working in a building with that kind of major construction going on over their heads. And then there is that picture on the fence out front.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:20 PM
Resident Jackass

Well if they have the funding and the need there is no reason to hold off on "phase two", they might as well just build it.

What is the cost to put on a temp roof, later extend elevators and mechanical?

What is the liability of heavy construction like that in an occupied building?

Doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 4:13 PM

Well, this two phase construction scheme is basically what they did at Abramson across the street. I think (as cubanChris said) that the impetus for this model is that they have a great need for more space, so they'd rather build smaller first and start occupying the building than take the time to build it all at once. Basically, the need for sooner occupation out weighs the potentially increased cost/risk of two phase building.

This model worked pretty well with Abramson, so why not use it here.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
Well, this two phase construction scheme is basically what they did at Abramson across the street. I think (as cubanChris said) that the impetus for this model is that they have a great need for more space, so they'd rather build smaller first and start occupying the building than take the time to build it all at once. Basically, the need for sooner occupation out weighs the potentially increased cost/risk of two phase building.

This model worked pretty well with Abramson, so why not use it here.

I agree that model worked well with the abdramson building, but with that building they basically built on top of an " L " shape and added more floors to make it into a box. I am not 100% sure but I thought they did not add any new elevators when they added the floors onto abramson. BTW, I know one of the professors who worked on the fifth floor as they were doing construction above him. At least one time he just went home to do reading or writing work on his grant. He could not stand the noise from above!!! Anyway, even the first phase should be a decently impressive building. I just wonder how they will tackle "phase II" in terms of elevator shafts and such. We'll see I guess, Ciao

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 12:23 AM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
From today

photo i took today...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 1:30 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Probably best I didn't see this "West Philly" comment.

I'm liking the 'Medical Center' feel UC/'Blockley' is getting. The upcoming projects certainly shame the Civic Center shoeboxes.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 1:31 AM

13 Floors of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post

I walked by the site this weekend and there is steel up 13 stories on half of the building (11 on the other half, its been going up 2 stories at a time).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 3:39 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayZ View Post
I walked by the site this weekend and there is steel up 13 stories on half of the building (11 on the other half, its been going up 2 stories at a time).
It's been that way for about a week now, almost as if it is topped out, although it looks strange with the bump at one end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive