HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 6:36 PM

Herdman knows battle versus USA will be 'big' for Canadian soccer
Canadian Men's Head coach John Herdman talks about his team's upcoming game against the USA, and how big of an impact it can make country-wide.

Canada vs US (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct 15, 2019 - 7:30 pm EST

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 10:41 PM

Canadian men’s soccer team aiming to end more than 30 years of hurt
Tuesday night’s match in Toronto offers John Herdman’s team a chance to put an end to the same old tune against the U.S., Kristian Jack writes.
Kristian Jack tsn.ca Oct 14, 2019

Back in 1996, the Football Association in England approached Ian Broudie, singer and guitarist of the band Lightning Seeds, to make a song for the home nation’s European Championships campaign.

Broudie reluctantly agreed, and after comedians David Baddiel and Frank Skinner joined him the song the world now knows as Football’s Coming Home was born.

It remains very much alive today. Football of course did come home for that country during the tournament, but the one line that was sung most passionately that year, and ultimately needed to be changed for future versions, was in reference to the gap between successes at a major tournament.

Thirty years of hurt.

John Herdman was just 20 at the time and lived Euro 96 as a young man growing up in the football heartbeat of the North East of England.

Now the head coach of Canada’s men’s national team, Herdman is focused on ending another winless run.

“It’s a 30-year hiatus,” he said, avoiding using the word hurt.

Herdman is referring to the last time Canada defeated the U.S. It happened in a 1985 friendly in Vancouver, which is actually 34 years ago – a run of 17 games since Canada last beat their rivals to the south. You have to go back to 1980 for the last time Canada won this matchup in a competitive game.

“It’s clear to the group that it isn’t their history, it’s only what is ahead of us now,” Herdman said. “It is a talented group, but there have been other talented groups that have played against the U.S.”

So what makes this one so different?

“The mindset is very clear and we’ve got a mission and that is to take this group to the World Cup in 2022,” Herdman said. “With the U.S. there is a rivalry there, and that’s great, but they are standing in the way of getting there for this group.”

Herdman is cleverly motivating his group for something much bigger than this game. Tuesday night’s match offers Canada an opportunity to not only end a long winless run against a rival but also get vital points in League A of the Concacaf Nations League that can help them move up in world rankings and become one of the top six countries in the region. Crucially, this would place them in the Hexagonal Qualifying Round for the 2022 World Cup rather than having to go through a gruelling lower-seeded route where they would need to play and advance through 14 matches before an intercontinental playoff with a team from another region to make it to Qatar.

For a nation that has lacked important, competitive matches for far too long, this is the exact reason why the Nations League was created and gives Herdman and the rest of Canada an opportunity to test the team when the stakes are high.

Herdman feels his players are ready.

“It will come down to the will to get the job done,” he said. “They have the belief. They think they have the talent to get the job done. Canada has always wanted to beat the USA and I think it will come down to who wants it more. I think our boys will leave it all out there and there is nothing better than a football match like that, when it is all on the field.”

Canada might have a chance should the difference in the result come down to who wants it more. Comfortable as a powerhouse in this region it’s clear this game doesn’t mean as much for the U.S. but it’s still a game everyone there believes they should win.

That confidence comes despite an external lack of positivity following Gregg Berhalter’s team around at the moment. Last week, much of the coverage on the side focused on the two-year anniversary of the team not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup. In truth, this program is nowhere near clear of the scars that came from their divorce from other established soccer powers and no matter how they perform on Tuesday that will remain.

Former boss Jürgen Klinsmann is adamant that they shouldn’t even be playing this match as it gives USA Soccer no chance to improve.

“It’s a waste of time, I’m telling you,” Klinsmann said in an interview with ESPN when asked about the Nations League. “It’s a waste of time because you that need [that competition] as a country. I mean, talking about Mexico, everyone is hoping for the fifth game in the World Cup. You’re not reaching that fifth game in the World Cup if you play the teams you are playing now in the Nations League in CONCACAF. You are not.

“Because you need to play Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Holland and England. That is your competition. And when you have an opening for a national team window and you can maybe make one or two friendly games, you need to play Argentina or Germany and not a CONCACAF team.”

Jason Davis, one of the most established members of the media when it comes to covering soccer in the United States, hosts a daily three-hour talk show on Sirius XM. Recently he opened up discussion about this match saying: “Is there any real threat from Canada? Should we be worried? I feel as though I’m not giving Canada enough credit, but at the same time, it’s Canada. I don’t want to believe that the United States has fallen so far that we should be really worried about the U.S. men’s national team playing Canada.”

Klinsmann and Davis are right to question Canada, a team that, until now, was never on the radar of U.S. Soccer. Although Canada is clearly improving, it’s also a team with emerging stars in attacking areas and a lack of them defensively. Most people with any connection to U.S. Soccer look down on them.

However, just how high they are standing is up for debate. This is a U.S. team that has played 40 competitive games since the 2014 World Cup and, remarkably, only eight of them have been away from home. Hosting Gold Cups and even a Copa America on home soil may have been good for some people’s pockets, but it hasn’t exactly made the team battle-hardened.

If they win on Tuesday night in Toronto it will be just the second time since the World Cup in Brazil that they have won a competitive game away from home. Back in September of 2016 they won 6-0 at St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Klinsmann believes the team won’t get better unless they play powerhouses around the globe, but a 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign that began under his leadership ended in a disaster because they failed to win any of their five away games in the Hexagonal Round of this very region.

It should be refreshing for their young core to have an opportunity test themselves in a competitive match on the road and control a game they are expected to win.

For a change football is no longer coming home for them. This is Canada’s turn with years of hurt behind them, hoping to put an end to the same old tune against the U.S.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 10:44 PM

Canada's Davies on Golden Boy shortlist
TSN.ca Staff Oct 15, 2019

Canadian soccer star Alphonso Davies was named to the 20-man shortlist of the 2019 European Golden Boy award on Tuesday. The award is given annually to the best player under the age of 21 in Europe and previous winners include Wayne Rooney, Lionel Messi, Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappe.

Canadian soccer star Alphonso Davies was named to the 20-man shortlist of the 2019 European Golden Boy award on Tuesday.

The award is given annually to the best player under the age of 21 in Europe. Previous winners include Wayne Rooney, Lionel Messi, Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappe.

Davies has two goals in 11 matches with Bayern Munich since joining the German club in January. The former Vancouver Whitecaps star scored eight goals in 31 MLS games in 2018.

The 18-year-old will be a part of Canada's lineup Tuesday night for their CONCACAF Nations League game against the United States.

Other players named to the European Golden Boy shortlist Tuesday include 2018 winner Matthijs de Ligt and rising Portuguese star Joao Felix.

The winner of the award will be announced on Dec. 16.

The following players were listed on the 20-man shortlist:

Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich), Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan), Ansu Fati (Barcelona), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Matteo Guendouzi (Arsenal), Erling Braut Haland (RB Salzburg), Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen), Joao Felix (Atlético de Madrid), Dejan Joveljic (Eintracht Frankfurt), Moise Kean (Everton), Kang-in Lee (Valencia CF), Andrij Oleksijovyc (Valladolid), Donyell Malen (PSV Eindhoven), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Rodrygo (Real Madrid), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Ferran Torres (Valencia CF), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid), Nicolo Zaniolo (AS Roma).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:39 AM

The US streak is over. Canada 2 US 0.

Davies and Cavallini score, David misses some good chances.

The people who were supposed to supply the offense and scoring did. The pre game press had the Americans sayiing why are they playing Canada and not top tier teams.

This game shows what happens when you attack with no fear. Canada had far more dangerous scoring chances and deserved the win. Davies for the first two thirds of the game, before he was subbed out, was a one man wrecking crew. Cavallini again showed how lethal a scorer he is, something that has been the hallmark of David (until tonight)

Just great to see the depth of the Canadian side as well, Davies and David sub out, Hoilett and Cavallini sub in. Young Liam Millar called it over a year ago "They're no better than we are."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:46 AM
surely you agree with me

that was a must win for Canada's world cup qualifying hopes....the next one kind of is too....shame a game of that scale wasn't even televised in Canada....i thought those days were over.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:07 AM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
that was a must win for Canada's world cup qualifying hopes....the next one kind of is too....shame a game of that scale wasn't even televised in Canada....i thought those days were over.
Ya who had the tv rights for this match? Both networks have a ton of Toronto based channels with a game in their own backyard and no television??
Against our next door neighbours?
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It was televised in Canada if you subscribe to OneSoccer who own the rights to CPL and the NTs. Personally, I watched it on UniMas in Spanish and thoroughly enjoyed the thrashing.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 11:48 PM
Suburbs Suck

Dumb question OneSoccer is online only? I've got hundreds of channels and no monitor is the size of my tv so I'd prefer to watch it on the tube.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Dumb question OneSoccer is online only? I've got hundreds of channels and no monitor is the size of my tv so I'd prefer to watch it on the tube.
You can use a chromecast to cast to your TV, or a smart box like an apple TV or Nvidia Shield.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:26 AM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
You can use a chromecast to cast to your TV, or a smart box like an apple TV or Nvidia Shield.
Ok thanks cheers
castlegar.ca

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada