HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


    1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1261  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:37 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Let’s hope this one get off the ground. Water view tower was suppose to be promised but what happen with that ? Chicago spire suppose to be the tallest in North America but it’s a hole in the ground. Once the money is secure and the halfway finish then I celebrate.
Whether or not this one gets off the ground remains to be seen, but I don't see any similarities with 1000M vs. Waterview or Spire. . . the latter's suffering from inexperienced developers and bad timing while 1000M is a luxury product in a not-so-luxury neighborhood. . . if this building was in LSE or anywhere north of where it is today it would have already been under construction. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1262  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:18 PM
akbussey akbussey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Oct 24th still a go?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1263  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:24 PM
ChiHi's Avatar
ChiHi ChiHi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 168
They may have been telling the truth on the ground breaking date. The lot was blocked off this morning and some equipment was getting dropped off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1264  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:39 PM
Knightwing's Avatar
Knightwing Knightwing is offline
Cleared for takeoff
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
They may have been telling the truth on the ground breaking date. The lot was blocked off this morning and some equipment was getting dropped off.
Were you able to take any pics? Or does anyone have pics?
__________________
In fact, I am the College of Friendship, the University of Brotherly Love, the School for the Better Making of Men.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1265  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:15 PM
rgolch's Avatar
rgolch rgolch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
while 1000M is a luxury product in a not-so-luxury neighborhood. . . if this building was in LSE or anywhere north of where it is today it would have already been under construction. . .

. . .
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot, when there are so many options in more desirable locations in the city. There are many new units coming online (as well as units in pre-existing buildings) for sale that also have great views in better areas. I'm rooting for this building, but I have my doubts....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1266  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:10 PM
AMWChicago's Avatar
AMWChicago AMWChicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 181
At the site today. Very preliminary, but very exciting. Looks like they're portioning off the site and taking measurements. I'm stoked that this one is happening. Really thought it was a long shot. Let's hope it doesn't see the same fate as Waterview.

IMG_1126 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1125 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1124 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1123 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1127 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1122 by Andrew W, on Flickr
__________________
Please Skyscraper Gods, let Tribune East happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1267  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:45 PM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1268  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:08 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...
Right. . . but it took longer than many on this forum felt was normal. . . I suppose that it had everything to do with location. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1269  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:13 PM
rgolch's Avatar
rgolch rgolch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...
Well... I mean.... did we ever hear that financing was secured. I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I just missed it.

We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1270  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:25 PM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Right. . . but it took longer than many on this forum felt was normal. . . I suppose that it had everything to do with location. . .

. . .
Right. It took a very long time. But to "have doubts" as the previous post I was replying to about at least this stage happening seems to be moot at this point, no?

What do you think are the chances that this building won't be completed once real construction begins? Can this project really sit unfinished like Waterview?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1271  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:06 PM
AlpacaObsessor AlpacaObsessor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Well... I mean.... did we ever hear that financing was secured. I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I just missed it.

We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.
Guy I used to sit next to during my internship had once consulted on a project that had a groundbreaking ceremony for the pure sake of appearing legitimate. The site then sat empty for about a year without anything happening. Granted, the project was done by some shady developer down in Florida or something, but yeah groundbreaking ceremonies are just that, ceremonies. I'm holding out hope for this one though (:
__________________
**** Chicago Construction And Urban Development Map ****
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1272  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:36 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot, when there are so many options in more desirable locations in the city. There are many new units coming online (as well as units in pre-existing buildings) for sale that also have great views in better areas. I'm rooting for this building, but I have my doubts....
Maybe I'm biased towards the South Loop, but I consider this building to be in a VERY desirable area. True, it's not adjacent to luxury retail or Michelin-star restaurants, but judged on the basic concept of liveability, I would live in it in a heartbeat (if I had the money).

It's Immediately adjacent to the city's largest park, 2 blocks from a Red/Green/Orange line station, ON Michigan Avenue (with a ton of transit options), a block from Roosevelt, which feeds onto the expressways, steps away from Museum Campus and the lakefront trail, and two blocks away from a Jewel and a Trader Joe's.

The South Loop isn't sexy, but it has everything you need to live a very comfortable, walkable city life. This building, NEMA, and Essex are all capitalizing on this fact.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1273  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:49 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.
yes, the ceremonial groundbreaking apparently happening this thursday is for show.

BUT, Bombardier, one of this forum's most reliable construction insiders, did report that McHugh is the GC and that he heard they are targeting a december construction start.

so....... maybe this one actually will happen?

time will tell.
__________________
He has to go.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 22, 2019 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1274  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:55 PM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Maybe I'm biased towards the South Loop, but I consider this building to be in a VERY desirable area. True, it's not adjacent to luxury retail or Michelin-star restaurants, but judged on the basic concept of liveability, I would live in it in a heartbeat (if I had the money).

It's Immediately adjacent to the city's largest park, 2 blocks from a Red/Green/Orange line station, ON Michigan Avenue (with a ton of transit options), a block from Roosevelt, which feeds onto the expressways, steps away from Museum Campus and the lakefront trail, and two blocks away from a Jewel and a Trader Joe's.

The South Loop isn't sexy, but it has everything you need to live a very comfortable, walkable city life. This building, NEMA, and Essex are all capitalizing on this fact.
I agree 100%. And the views here will be among the best in the city. Although to be fair for the record Washington, Lincoln, Jackson and Burnham are all bigger than Grant Park. It is, though, certainly the most prominent green space in the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1275  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:58 AM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,977
October 22, 2019





Across Michigan Avenue, filming of Aaron Sorkin’s "The Trial of the Chicago 7."

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1276  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:00 PM
pianowizard pianowizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan, US
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
MI would live in it in a heartbeat (if I had the money).
Same here. The smallest units are actually not that expensive, starting at $259,000 for 305 sqft, and the HOA fees are surprisingly low, only $153 for this 305 sqft unit, though I have heard of new condos that lure buyers with very low HOA fees initially, but after just a couple years the fees start skyrocketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I agree 100%. And the views here will be among the best in the city. Although to be fair for the record Washington, Lincoln, Jackson and Burnham are all bigger than Grant Park. It is, though, certainly the most prominent green space in the city.
I agree 200%, especially regarding the views. IMO this is the most interesting Chicago residential tower that's potentially going up in the near future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1277  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:50 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
The smallest units are actually not that expensive, starting at $259,000 for 305 sqft, and the HOA fees are surprisingly low, only $153 for this 305 sqft unit, though I have heard of new condos that lure buyers with very low HOA fees initially, but after just a couple years the fees start skyrocketing.
305 sq/ft is very small. . . like Manhattan-apartment small. . . unless I'm calculating this wrong price per sq/ft at $850 seems to be on the high end. . .

. .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1278  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:01 PM
ChiRise ChiRise is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Digging up the parking lot and hauling away the rubble at the moment. Also setting up some sort of large tent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1279  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:11 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,420
^ that counts as "site prep".
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1280  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:25 PM
Chisouthside Chisouthside is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley/Chicago
Posts: 154
niceeee
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.