HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:56 PM
Insertoronto

It’s above sea level, so subtract 76m or so.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I still don't get the appeal or who's buying all these high-rise units in Humber Bay. You're completely severed off from any sort of walkable neighbourhoods by the expressway, even getting to High Park is a mission despite its relative proximity. The prices aren't even that cheap and I imagine it's quite difficult to function there without a car. It seems to be all of the negatives of high-rise living without any of the benefits.

A dedicated GO connection would go a long way towards turning it into a function TOD neighbourhood that feeds into downtown though. It needs some community features/attractions to actually keep this massive amount of people in the area.
Well I'll skip the transit issues as I'm not informed.

Why would folks want to live near downtown with a 300 acre park on your front door (and for the folks with bucks-sailing if u can land a birth).

Seems like an ok spot.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:12 PM

It will have a bigger skyline than most cities

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:26 PM

Gorgeous!.. wow.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:43 PM
I am the law!

LOL I knew it was going to be ridiculous but, not this ridiculous. Par for the course in Toronto these days. So many communities showing themselves as rushed neighbourhood plans but we keep adding more and more units and they keep selling.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Well I'll skip the transit issues as I'm not informed.

Why would folks want to live near downtown with a 300 acre park on your front door (and for the folks with bucks-sailing if u can land a birth).

Seems like an ok spot.
That was my point. Despite looking fairly close on a map, functionally this area is extremely disconnected from Downtown. It's probably a 45 minute+ ride on one of the busiest streetcar lines in the city.

It also isn't really some idealistic tower-in-the-park scenario either. It's going to be at least a 30 minute walk to High Park along busy arterial roads, through underpasses and under train tracks.

high-rises aren't usually the ideal living scenario for most people. It's an acceptable trade-off to be closer to work, transit, restaurants, entertainment, etc. I see little to none of those benefits in Humber Bay.

As said before, a dedicated GO connection would solve some of these issues, but I still can't fathom where the market for these things is coming from. Could be a lot of people who work in the Western burbs but don't want to accept living there yet?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:58 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
I still don't get the appeal or who's buying all these high-rise units in Humber Bay. You're completely severed off from any sort of walkable neighbourhoods by the expressway, even getting to High Park is a mission despite its relative proximity. The prices aren't even that cheap and I imagine it's quite difficult to function there without a car. It seems to be all of the negatives of high-rise living without any of the benefits.

A dedicated GO connection would go a long way towards turning it into a function TOD neighbourhood that feeds into downtown though. It needs some community features/attractions to actually keep this massive amount of people in the area.
The scale of Humber Bay Shores should all proposals be built is that of a city centre that should have its own ecosystem and draws people in than a disconnected community made of big block, mixed use, residential, subdivisions with a GO Station. I agree. It makes no sense to me to pay premiums to live in a super dense community that has none of the conveniences of a downtown.

I wish I had a time machine to explore the future and see if my impressions of this real estate boom compounded with inept planning is as short sighted as I think it is.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:22 PM

I moved this over from the proposal page.

1 Eglinton East has been given the green light.

Source: urbantoronto.ca
1 Eglinton East | 211m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The scale of Humber Bay Shores should all proposals be built is that of a city centre that should have its own ecosystem and draws people in than a disconnected community made of big block, mixed use, residential, subdivisions with a GO Station. I agree. It makes no sense to me to pay premiums to live in a super dense community that has none of the conveniences of a downtown.

It has 3 news squares, a shopping galleria a numerous parkettes and recreational features. It's not downtown but it's a much better plan then most I've seen outside of the core. At least it's on the 501 line. I could live there if I wanted a bit more of a relaxing lifestyle.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:00 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The Ontario Line should be extended to reach the area. Perhaps it could use the existing Queensway ROW now used by the 501 if they did a few grade separations. Definitely cheaper than tunneling. It wouldn't be feasible if they were using the wide stock of the other TTC subway lines but if the trains are say, 2.65m ide, it might be ok.

I don't really get the idea of ending the line at Exhibition. I'm sure there would be enough capacity for it to be extended further.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:49 PM

Wow, it has been crickets and tumbleweeds in here for quite a while, and now a couple of pieces of big news. I love the look of the Humber Shores development, but agree that it's vastly outsized for what the area infrastructure can handle. Likewise, Yonge/Eg is in danger of becoming overbuilt.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post

Is that Salvation Army part of the proposal? I don't remember a building like that at Yonge & Eg.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:58 PM

I love the red brick midrise with the arched windows in the Humber Bay Shores proposal.

But with most of the other buildings, it's tough to tell how much they'll be value engineered. A lot of the taller towers could be refined more. And some of the midrises have unusable tacked-on balconies which should be a banned design feature.

Hopefully architects alliance dosent get their grubby hands on it and turn it into another Sugar wharf.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:07 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
It has 3 news squares, a shopping galleria a numerous parkettes and recreational features. It's not downtown but it's a much better plan then most I've seen outside of the core. At least it's on the 501 line. I could live there if I wanted a bit more of a relaxing lifestyle.

I think Torontonians have forgotten there are alternatives to living in 50 plus storey towers. 50 storey towers aren't ever affordable to build. It makes sense in a downtown. It doesn't in Humber Bay Shores. The place is already gridlocked. How will it be with 15,000 more commuters out of the neighbourhood because I don't see one office tower of any consequence. I've seen the TDSB signage around Eau De Soleil stating the district schools are full and any new residents should expect to have their children bused elsewhere. Will Toronto ever learn to build the infrastructure before the homes? The ciy is full of examples where political will changes and the infrastructure ends up on indefinite hold. It's ass backwards. The 501 will get you to quaint Mimico but, it's impractical as a means to get downtown unless you have a ton of time to spare.

Humber Bay Shores is a condominium resort so towers are to be expected. The escalation in height and density from the original vision to now is just crazy. 12 storeys to 25 storeys to 65 storeys in just 20 years. There's only being a few upgrades to the infrastructure plan along the way. The upsizing is completely market driven which is the direction you want to take.

I'm as confident as I will ever be in the renderings given Urban Capital's track record for building lookers (maybe not for the living spaces) That's the only bright side.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:23 PM
Insertoronto

There is about 500,000sf of office space in the building - good for about 3,000 employees. It’s mostly in two shorter office buildings beside the GO station.

The project will probably get scaled back as it moves through the process - I expect it will land somewhere closer to 6000-6500 units. It’s fairly brilliantly designed, I understand the appeal of living there if it gets built as proposed. It’ll be dense but that isn’t a terrible necessarily provided there is enough space to breath, which there looks like there will be.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:11 AM

I totally agree with WS points but I see potential with this plan. Also it's not really that far from the core. It has direct hwy, transit, and bike trail access. I don't see many large companies opening up there, just smaller start ups looking for cheaper rent.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:27 AM
recession proof

The noise and pollution from the truck traffic would drive me insane. I suggested A&M get some gigs in Toronto so it's nice to see this proposal--looks very much like their London & Manchester projects. It's First Capital not Urban Capital here. The people living here come from the 905--they think this is downtown living lol.

I hope Alison Brooks Architects gets to design a few buildings here along with aA, A&M etc: please don't water it down into a grey spandrel shithole.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:32 AM
recession proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Is that Salvation Army part of the proposal? I don't remember a building like that at Yonge & Eg.
Actually the Sally Ann is building a new church here:
https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...salvation-army

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I moved this over from the proposal page.

]
sorry i dont see any mentiion of the green light on UT.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
That was my point. Despite looking fairly close on a map, functionally this area is extremely disconnected from Downtown. It's probably a 45 minute+ ride on one of the busiest streetcar lines in the city.

It also isn't really some idealistic tower-in-the-park scenario either. It's going to be at least a 30 minute walk to High Park along busy arterial roads, through underpasses and under train tracks.

high-rises aren't usually the ideal living scenario for most people. It's an acceptable trade-off to be closer to work, transit, restaurants, entertainment, etc. I see little to none of those benefits in Humber Bay.

As said before, a dedicated GO connection would solve some of these issues, but I still can't fathom where the market for these things is coming from. Could be a lot of people who work in the Western burbs but don't want to accept living there yet?
Actually, the area has excellent walking and cycling. The park in question is not High Park but rather the Humber Bay Park system itself. There are extensive park areas on the spits constructed in, I think the 70’s, on eitherside of the mouth of Mimico Creek, a very pleasant boardwalk leading into old Mimico, and a walking and cycling trail through the parks on the south side of Lake Shore Blvd. The trail leads all the way to the CNE. At the east end of HBS, there is a lengthy trail system up the banks of the Humber. There is a new and presently rather short trail up the east side of Mimico Creek. I hope it will be extended. And, if you want, High Park is actually easy to reach.

The view from our condo, and lots of other units, over the park system to the Lake is one of the real pluses of living in the area. We see swans, cormorants, geese and other waterfowl every day, watch the boating activities in two marinas snd can see as far as the towers of Niagara Falls in a clear day. We also have a good view of downtown. I find it a very pleasant place to live.

I don’t take the streetcar downtown, by the way. The faster way is the bus to Old Mill Station. But one of the undoubted pluses of this new proposal is the the planned new GO Station. It will certainly make commuting much easier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada