HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1101  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:44 PM
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I may be mis-remembering but I believe the traffic study used to choose the location said otherwise. East of the bridge or even just west of it would save time over lots of routes. Carleton and points south for sure, DFAIT and Byward Market and I would argue even Centretown which is a very quick drive from points on Hemlock right now. You could argue it would be the fastest route to Portage though of course the increase in traffic might negate that route. I had a girlfriend who lived in Manor Park and I could make it to the side streets this side of Portage usually in 15 minutes.
But we are talking about if access to/from Hemlock was blocked from the bridge. The detour via Montreal Rd would be considerably longer, especially after it has been narrowed to 3 lanes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1102  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:46 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Jos Connaissant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 41,360
I am also trying to think of how many traffic lights there are on the Montreal-Rideau from Aviation Parkway to the Rideau Centre. Several dozen at least.

Also the right hand lane on Montreal Road is a bus lane during rush hour, and it's also a bus lane for much of Rideau as well.

So during rush hour this route basically functions with one traffic lane in each direction.
__________________
Got you thinking
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1103  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:30 PM
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am also trying to think of how many traffic lights there are on the Montreal-Rideau from Aviation Parkway to the Rideau Centre. Several dozen at least.

Also the right hand lane on Montreal Road is a bus lane during rush hour, and it's also a bus lane for much of Rideau as well.

So during rush hour this route basically functions with one traffic lane in each direction.
Not for much longer. They will be replacing the bus lanes on Montreal Road with bike lanes, which will make it even more congested than it is today. Once completed, between Vanier Parkway and St. Laurent Boulevard there will be:
  • Three lane cross section, two lanes in the westbound direction and 1 lane in the eastbound direction
  • Westbound curb lane is a transit lane during the AM peak and a parking lane at all other times
  • Raised unidirectional cycle tracks and concrete sidewalks on both sides of the roadway

see: Montreal Road Revitalization
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1104  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:14 AM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
But we are talking about if access to/from Hemlock was blocked from the bridge. The detour via Montreal Rd would be considerably longer, especially after it has been narrowed to 3 lanes.
Yes this would be totally different story. I know people who live further east in Beacon Hill where they have inconvenient access to Rockcliffe Parkway and their commute is substantially longer.

For all my complaining if we build this bridge it seems crazy to me we wouldn't put access on the Parkway or Hemlock. No Parkway access would be typical for Ottawa as we like to pretend these are scenic routes not jammed with commuters, but removing the ramps on Hemlock as well seems really excessive and would limit the usefulness of the bridge.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1105  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:04 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Jos Connaissant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 41,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Not for much longer. They will be replacing the bus lanes on Montreal Road with bike lanes, which will make it even more congested than it is today. Once completed, between Vanier Parkway and St. Laurent Boulevard there will be:
  • Three lane cross section, two lanes in the westbound direction and 1 lane in the eastbound direction
  • Westbound curb lane is a transit lane during the AM peak and a parking lane at all other times
  • Raised unidirectional cycle tracks and concrete sidewalks on both sides of the roadway

see: Montreal Road Revitalization
That doesn't exactly scream "new rush hour commuter route from Buckingham to downtown Ottawa - yay!" to me.
__________________
Got you thinking
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1106  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:25 PM
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yes this would be totally different story. I know people who live further east in Beacon Hill where they have inconvenient access to Rockcliffe Parkway and their commute is substantially longer.

For all my complaining if we build this bridge it seems crazy to me we wouldn't put access on the Parkway or Hemlock. No Parkway access would be typical for Ottawa as we like to pretend these are scenic routes not jammed with commuters, but removing the ramps on Hemlock as well seems really excessive and would limit the usefulness of the bridge.
The local residents would need to decide which is more important, easy access to the bridge or quiet streets. I am not a fan of dumping large amounts of traffic onto residential streets, so if it were up to me, I would lean towards restricting access to the bridge.

As long as access to the 417 is good, I don't think the usefulness of the bridge would be restricted. Also having access to key arterials (like Ogilvie and Montreal Rds) would boost the usefulness.

Interestingly, checking the TMP, Hemlock/Beechwood is designated an Arterial west of St. Laurent, but only a collector (not even a major collector) east of it; however, that is just a designation and could be changed. I do find that surprising though as the entire length feels more like a major collector to me, but what do I know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1107  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:32 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 16,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
The local residents would need to decide which is more important, easy access to the bridge or quiet streets. I am not a fan of dumping large amounts of traffic onto residential streets, so if it were up to me, I would lean towards restricting access to the bridge.

As long as access to the 417 is good, I don't think the usefulness of the bridge would be restricted. Also having access to key arterials (like Ogilvie and Montreal Rds) would boost the usefulness.

Interestingly, checking the TMP, Hemlock/Beechwood is designated an Arterial west of St. Laurent, but only a collector (not even a major collector) east of it; however, that is just a designation and could be changed. I do find that surprising though as the entire length feels more like a major collector to me, but what do I know.
I suspect a very large percentage of Rockcliffe and Manor Park residents would agree with you. New Edinburgh and Linden Lea too, because New Edinburgh and Linden Lea ..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1108  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:59 PM
JM1 JM1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
+1 on this one.

The East End bridge doesn't solve the truck problem. If we are just looking at moving people and not goods, then invest in transit connections, not new traffic lanes.

New traffic lanes which will only encourage more people to commute longer distances -- by car -- thereby lowering quality of life in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
So you live in Eastern Ottawa and frequently go to eastern Gatineau? There must be like 20 people fitting this description.

Destroyed is of course hyperbole but Manor Park will be swamped by traffic from this proposal. The Rockcliffe Parkway will become total gridlock. It will certainly hurt more peoples commutes than vice versa. I commuted to Gatineau for several years and there certainly isn't a need for more capacity in that direction. Even from Rockland to almost anywhere in Gatineau where there is employment you would be better off continuing to the 5. Well after this it might make sense as the west bound routes will be so much worse in Ottawa.

If we are going to spend a $Billion linking Gatineau and Ottawa let's link their rapid transit systems.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1109  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:02 PM
JM1 JM1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
Hemlock is an arterial road by designation, but it wont have the capacity to handle traffic coming off the bridge and heading West. It will already see a great increase in traffic from the former CFB Rockcliffe neighbourhood.

In the mornings, there is traffic stagnation on Hemlock/Beechwood Westbound when you get to Beechwood. Likewise, the intersection of St. Patrick/Vanier Parkway/Beechwood is already at capacity (or above it).

Montreal Road is no better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I suspect a very large percentage of Rockcliffe and Manor Park residents would agree with you. New Edinburgh and Linden Lea too, because New Edinburgh and Linden Lea ..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1110  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:22 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 16,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
Hemlock is an arterial road by designation, but it wont have the capacity to handle traffic coming off the bridge and heading West. It will already see a great increase in traffic from the former CFB Rockcliffe neighbourhood.

In the mornings, there is traffic stagnation on Hemlock/Beechwood Westbound when you get to Beechwood. Likewise, the intersection of St. Patrick/Vanier Parkway/Beechwood is already at capacity (or above it).

Montreal Road is no better.
Yes, it is noticeably worse than it was, say, ten years ago. I've long wondered about access to the former CFB development from Hemlock - at the moment, the road is blocked, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1111  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:36 PM
JM1 JM1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
The direct connection is blocked, but traffic will come out onto Montreal Road, go up St Laurent and then along Beechwood/Hemlock. Once they connect Hemlock to the new community and the community builds out, traffic will worsen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yes, it is noticeably worse than it was, say, ten years ago. I've long wondered about access to the former CFB development from Hemlock - at the moment, the road is blocked, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1112  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:05 PM
khabibulin khabibulin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
The direct connection is blocked, but traffic will come out onto Montreal Road, go up St Laurent and then along Beechwood/Hemlock. Once they connect Hemlock to the new community and the community builds out, traffic will worsen.
And don't forget that St. Laurent was recently reduced from 4 lanes to two lanes between Montreal Rd. and Hemlock.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1113  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 9:14 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
And don't forget that St. Laurent was recently reduced from 4 lanes to two lanes between Montreal Rd. and Hemlock.
Really. Why did that happen?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1114  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 11:22 PM
PHrenetic PHrenetic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Really. Why did that happen?
Good Day.

Yup.... been this way for some time now.

Reason.....traffic calming, pedestrian crossing, and the always biggie - bicycle lanes. Remember, this is Fleury's ward, and it was built at his behest, along with the b-lanes along Hemlock and Beechwood to the Vanier Parkway.
Overall, they are not terrible.....except when you get to the stretch from Marier to the V-Parkway (the dipsy-doodles are terrible there).

So, the traffic load at rush flows -sufficiently- on St.Laurent, but backs up at the smallest excuse. And it backs up totally westbound on Beechwood, on back onto Hemlock. Any additional load, such as the CanLands Rockcliffe coming online, will clog it utterly (bumper-to-bumper) the entire distance even today, let alone a bridge feed.

That would be - NoJoy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1115  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:54 PM
JM1 JM1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
If I remember correctly, there were a couple of fatalities on St Laurent between Hemlock and Montreal. I recall a child being hit there crossing from the bus stops on the West side of St Laurent to the houses on the East side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

Yup.... been this way for some time now.

Reason.....traffic calming, pedestrian crossing, and the always biggie - bicycle lanes. Remember, this is Fleury's ward, and it was built at his behest, along with the b-lanes along Hemlock and Beechwood to the Vanier Parkway.
Overall, they are not terrible.....except when you get to the stretch from Marier to the V-Parkway (the dipsy-doodles are terrible there).

So, the traffic load at rush flows -sufficiently- on St.Laurent, but backs up at the smallest excuse. And it backs up totally westbound on Beechwood, on back onto Hemlock. Any additional load, such as the CanLands Rockcliffe coming online, will clog it utterly (bumper-to-bumper) the entire distance even today, let alone a bridge feed.

That would be - NoJoy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1116  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:46 AM
eltodesukane eltodesukane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Really. Why did that happen?
bicycle lanes on St Laurent
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.