HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
10 consecutive posts by TakeFive. Why don't you just become a mod already. You practically live here.
I'm glad somebody's paying attention.

Actually, after a nice long summer's break that got extended 3 weeks past my drop dead date I wanted to get some of the info-data up to refer back to as my blogging time will be more limited going forward.

But I'm impressed you picked up on the number... was there any posts you liked more, not at all or was it a mixed bag?

In any case I guess that is quite an accomplishment; does that mean I get a brownie? I am partial to chocolate.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:46 PM

Why do streetsbloggers hate ride-share, poor people and women?
Part One

Mostly for misguided reasons; they're paranoid that ride-share is a direct threat to transit. Only partially true they miss the more important points. Transit is what is killing transit. Starting with the millennial's the rest of us have moved on to the next century while transit is still stuck in the last century.

What about all that congestion caused by ride-share? For example, what about the new study that states over half the increased congestion in San Francisco is directly attributable to ride-share.

When analyzing studies with a suspected political agenda it's important to look for what they overlook or how they skew the data. There's several points to be made with that study including their primary focus on VMT or vehicle miles traveled. They always fail to mention that ride-share adds about 1-2 percent to the miles driven although it may be a bit more in San Francisco.

2010 used as the Base Year
Unemployment is always a lagging indicator and 2010 was likely the bottom for employment following the Great Recession. I recall reading that VMT was down quite a bit and that transit ridership was up. Primarily it was that with fewer people employed there was less need to drive.

Principle of Substitution
I would contend (and it's my experience) that most people (but not all) use ride-share as apposed to the hassle of driving and parking their own car. This would mean that there aren't more cars on the road in theses cases. That study doesn't even consider this point.

Congestion is caused mostly by growth in car ownership
They totally ignore this real world reality except for using employment growth within San Francisco but NOT the greater metro area to look at per capita data. They don't correlate increased congestion with the economy or increase in car ownership. Increasing car sales especially starting in 2014 is a much bigger factor.

I'd like to see 2014 used as a base year and increases in auto ownership for any study that wants to learn the Real Reasons for increasing congestion.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:36 PM

Why do streetsbloggers hate ride-share, poor people and women?
Part Two

In looking at the importance of first and last mile access to transit (which I've pounded the table over), Marlon Boarnet also found where lower income residents in San Diego have up to 30 times better access to jobs when they own cars.

Who's Marlon Boarnet? https://news.usc.edu/126791/how-tran...he-difference/
Quote:
The researchers found that car commuters in low-income neighborhoods in San Diego have about 30 times greater job accessibility than those who take public transit... according to study’s lead author Marlon Boarnet, a professor of public policy and chair of the department of urban planning and spatial analysis at the USC Price School of Public Policy. Boarnet is an associate director of METRANS for the National Center for Sustainable Transportation (NCST), a research center headed by the University of California, Davis. METRANS is a member of the NCST consortium.
A study out of UCLA also showed where increasing car ownership as a result of the improving economy, much of it among lower-socioeconomic residents added to congestion and likely added to the drop in transit ridership in Los Angeles.

Poor people shouldn't be allowed to own cars or use ride-share. Rather they should be required to use transit; after all they're poor for gods sake.
(Note: Italic print denotes sarcasm)

There's more than one problem with this stinkin' thinking. Take Denver where growth in downtown employment is approaching 140,000 and there's good access via light rail or buses. The problem is that the metro area has employment of ~1,525,000 so downtown has close to but not even 10% of the jobs. There's a ton of retail employment for example. What if people find jobs elsewhere but transit doesn't go there?

Btw, more common sense facts that the bigger problem in causing congestion is car ownership and not ride-share.

It isn't really my intent to accuse streetsbloggers of intentional discrimination and desire to limit poor people's personal freedom but it's the irony of hypocrisy that infects groups when they obsess over a particular agenda. Same thing happens on the right around the hypocrisy of the "Right to Life." There's also this creeping nannyism that suggests that "we know what's better for you than you do."

Time to watch the Avalanche

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:39 PM

Kind of surprising to me that no one has tried to organize a “transit riders union” in metro Denver over all these years.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Hell. Screw the 2-year "reimagine RTD" study. Looks like they fell on the solution right here:

2) Knock off the bottom 10% of bus routes and replace the service areas with FlexRide. Which also knocks off the CDL requirement. Contract out FlexRide to to avoid union-imposed costs.
You're on the right track, no doubt. Apparently not everybody agrees - but I would.

Crisis Or Crossroads? No One Wants To Solve RTD’s Driver Shortage With Service Cuts
October 23, 2019 By Nathaniel Minor - CPR
Quote:
Just a few minutes into the RTD board’s discussion on a proposal to significantly cut service because of a pressing workforce shortage, one thing was clear: no one wants them.

Not the union reps, some of whom are drivers themselves, who sat in the audience of the Tuesday meeting. Not the staff who put together the proposal as more bus and trains runs are unexpectedly canceled. Not the riders, who board members noted rely on those buses and trains to get around. And certainly not RTD’s board of directors, who’d ultimately have to sign off on any service cuts.
What's wrong with this picture?
Drivers on the ride-share blog often complain "There's too many "ants" out there." Ride-share drivers refer to their fellow drivers as "ants." "I drove over to XYZ and there were ants on every corner."

Back to bus drivers; Nathaniel Minor/CPR has their back.

RTD’s Pre-Boom Driver Deal Is Part Of Why Your Train Didn’t Show Up Today
October 21, 2019

It's the classical Union wage plus nice benefits package that is the issue, always.

In any case I'm with you; have RTD cut 20% of their service and have a very well-paid team of professional drivers. That should fix everything?

Future Tip: there's another piece of your post that's spot-on I'll speak to later.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:06 AM

Doobie: You ever think about the basics of life?
Well Buddy, not a lot but food and water comes to mind.

Yes, water. Have you ever had your water cut off? It's a real pain even if it's only for a few hours. Take the Denver Water Board.
Quote:
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.4 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Established in 1918, the utility is a public agency funded by water rates and new tap fees, not taxes. It is Colorado's oldest and largest water utility.
How about electricity, Buddy. That seems like a basic necessity.
Exactly. Total aggravation if you lose your electricity for a stretch. It's amazing how reliable it is on the whole though.

Electricity, supplied (mostly) by Xcel Energy is a utility holding company. Both our water and electricity are not paid by any taxes but rather by user fees. Both Denver Water and Xcel Energy are required to be financially strong and reliable, plan and invest for the future. Both do an impressive job all things considered.

Anything else you're thinking of Buddy?
No, that's all for now, Doobie.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:32 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Doobie: You ever think about the basics of life?
Well Buddy, not a lot but food and water comes to mind.

Yes, water. Have you ever had your water cut off? It's a real pain even if it's only for a few hours. Take the Denver Water Board.

How about electricity, Buddy. That seems like a basic necessity.
Exactly. Total aggravation if you lose your electricity for a stretch. It's amazing how reliable it is on the whole though.

Electricity, supplied (mostly) by Xcel Energy is a utility holding company. Both our water and electricity are not paid by any taxes but rather by user fees. Both Denver Water and Xcel Energy are required to be financially strong and reliable, plan and invest for the future. Both do an impressive job all things considered.

Anything else you're thinking of Buddy?
No, that's all for now, Doobie.
I would like to argue that having your internet cut off, even for a short time, is equally as impactful in today's society, as having your water or electricity cut off. Internet is a utility.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:06 PM
Ground Scraper

I would kind of like it if they cut off TakeFive's internet. Then I wouldn't have to scroll past 8 consecutive posts of his opinions, what he thinks are memes, and 6 paragraphs of article commentary that could have been stated in 6 words.
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:52 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Y'all, there are now some very nice double bus lanes downtown--on a very street that we've thoroughly debated here on SSP many times--and nobody has posted photos of them on the forum.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I would like to argue that having your internet cut off, even for a short time, is equally as impactful in today's society, as having your water or electricity cut off. Internet is a utility.
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I would kind of like it if they cut off TakeFive's internet. Then I wouldn't have to scroll past 8 consecutive posts of his opinions, what he thinks are memes, and 6 paragraphs of article commentary that could have been stated in 6 words.
I've only got three maybe four posts left in my "fall series" and then you can RIP. Pending some misc house cleaning for my weekend dinner I may be able to finish today.

My son is into memes; I'll ask him to interpret. Sounds a bit like today's politics where everybody is so entrenched on one side or the other. Fortunately, I'm still able to continue asking questions, explore for answers and wonder what comes next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Y'all, there are now some very nice double bus lanes downtown--on a very street that we've thoroughly debated here on SSP many times--and nobody has posted photos of them on the forum.
PLANSIT did post a schematic earlier.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:43 PM

Exactly who uses ride-share and why?
Everybody?

A traveler waits to be picked up by a ride-hailing service at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Credit: Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call via Pew Research
  • Addicts taking their daily/weekly ride to/from the clinic
  • Medicare and Medicaid patients going to/from their doctor/clinic or the hospital
In many instances the above rides will be arranged by a third-party payer.
  • Travelers - whether for business or leisure are Big consumers of ride-share. They've found it to be more convenient than renting a car.
  • Women - are more likely to rationalize the cost of ride-share whether for hair reasons or for comfort and security or for time and convenience.
  • People who attend church
  • Just about anybody can occasionally benefit from ride-share. There's a million reasons.
The Working Poor
Lots of retail and service workers, landscapers etc who can't benefit from transit or may be a one-car family where (dad) needs the truck for his business depend on ride-share or friends or both. Others may utilize transit to commute but use ride-share to get groceries, get their hair done etc. In many instances it enables people the freedom (god forbid) to get off the damn couch and go visit a friend or attend a meeting.

More Americans are using ride-hailing apps
JANUARY 4, 2019 BY JINGJING JIANG - Pew Research/FactTank
Quote:
The share of Americans who use ride-hailing services has increased dramatically. Today, 36% of U.S. adults say they have ever used a ride-hailing service such as Uber or Lyft, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in fall 2018. By comparison, just 15% of Americans said they had used these services in late 2015, and one-third had never heard of ride-hailing before.
This is important
Quote:
Even as the share of Americans who use ride-hailing has grown substantially in recent years, the new survey finds that few adults overall are making these services a part of their regular routine. Only one-in-ten users of ride-hailing services say they use these apps at least weekly, including just 2% who say they use them every day or almost every day.
So according to Pew Research only 2% are using ride-share (almost) daily. The Downtown Denver Partnership's own survey indicated that only 1.5% commuted by Uber/Lyft or Taxi while 40% report using transit. All the controversy and hysteria is a Big Nothing Burger.

It is certainly possible that those who commute using transit my call ride-share if they need to go somewhere, meet somebody during the day.

Note: I couldn't care less about NYC, Boston or San Francisco etc. Bruce Schaller may know NYC but I could do without his varnished with crap "facts".
Pew Research? Yes, now you've got my attention.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:06 PM

I've got some interesting facts about RTD
But are they real facts, Buddy?
Doobie; only the shadow knows that.

While doing some cleaning/organizing I ventured into my favorite closet where I found my trusty mechanical calculator. I gabbed it in order to do run some Simple Math.

For reference, I'm still wearing my favorite Suburban cap which you can find on the previous page. It's the snazzy looking cap in Bronco colors.

Compare and Contrast

Shorter ride-share trips might cost $5-$7.50 - one way or about the cost at McDonald's or Starbucks. Medium length ride-share trips might run $10-$15 so if one is commuting to their job you need to double that to $20 to $30 per day. Longer commutes would ofc be more but only a few could afford that.

A standard All Day RTD Regional Pass runs $10.50 for one person. If you're a couple going to a Rockies game then you need two tickets. Ride-share cost would remain the same as they are a per trip cost.

We know from the good info provided By Nathaniel Minor with CPR that RTD's annual revenue was $143 million in 2018 while operating expenses ran $777 million. This was a recapture rate of 18.4% which is consistent with RTD's 2019 June financial report of 18.6%.

Rounding up the recapture rate to 20% the Cost to RTD for an $10.50 all day pass would be $52.50. By deduction taxpayers are paying the $42 difference.

Go Figure

Streetsblog Denver reports that in 2018 RTD had 97.5 million total boarding's. If you use total revenue of $143 million as the numerator and 97.5 million as the denominator then RTD collected an average of $1.47 per boarding (or $2.93 for an all day pass).

We all take many things for granted. It was only recently that it sunk in just how much RTD's annual subsidy to provide transit service is; it comes to two-thirds of a billion $'s. Makes you appreciate the efficient delivery of necessities like water, electricity and yes, the internet.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:08 PM

You can call me Mr. Mayor of Westminster

Note: I've now traded in my Suburban cap for a Bright Red MAGA cap.

"RTD: You're Fired"

1) I order maybe four/five shuttle buses that hold maybe 15 to 20 passengers. I also order a half-dozen nice vans that hold about 8 passengers.

2) Then I call Uber/Lyft and offer them $2 per passenger to use their algorithm and pay system. They needn't worry about anything else.

3) Next I call Super Shuttle or maybe solicit as a small business opportunity someone to run my transit services for Westminster. They need to be responsible for hiring, training, scheduling and managing our new fleet and drivers.

Conceptually, the shuttle buses would run along arterial roads and stop in front of the leasing offices of nearby apartments for riders. Destinations could be major employment areas or to the Sheridan Flatiron Flyer station and the Westminster light rail station. Per ride cost might be $5.00.

Conceptually, the Vans would be for on-demand service to Westminster neighborhoods needing a ride within Westminster and costs might be $6 to $7 per passenger.

It might be better initially to limit vehicle capacity to no more than 15 passengers. Drivers who carry 16 or more passengers will need a CDL license. Either way I assume this service should easily attract potential drivers.

So... Will I be reelected Mayor of Westminster?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:15 PM

The End

The Fall Transportation Series for 2019 is now finished.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoyed the ride.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:11 PM

Per your request
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post

Red bus markings on 15th Street in downtown Denver. (credit: CBS Denver)

https://denver.streetsblog.org/2019/...n-15th-street/
Quote:
Last night the city installed a series of red markings on the road to indicate new bus-only lanes on 15th Street Downtown. The move is expected to accelerate buses up to 42 percent, according to Nancy Kuhn, a spokesperson for the Department of Public Works. And if buses become faster and more reliable, people may start to ditch cars in favor of buses.
Why do I get the feeling that those who expect to now get home 42% faster will be disappointed?

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...6-3c88f80e019b
Quote:
The City of Denver is hoping to change people's commuting habits by changing the roads.

Kuhn said after making similar changes to Broadway in 2017, the city saw a 2.5% transit ridership increase
Pretty exciting?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:58 AM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Per your request

Red bus markings on 15th Street in downtown Denver. (credit: CBS Denver)

https://denver.streetsblog.org/2019/...n-15th-street/

Why do I get the feeling that those who expect to now get home 42% faster will be disappointed?

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...6-3c88f80e019b

Pretty exciting?
The lanes are primarily for inbound buses. It’s a 42% travel time savings in this section.

It is exciting, especially during the same period of time overall bus ridership was down.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 5:04 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Not only is it great for Denver, it's a legit national model. AFAIK nobody else in the US has done this.

Remember when we used to think we'd be lucky to get one lane on 15th for something other than cars, and worried we'd have to choose between bikes and buses?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 8:02 PM

2018 Annual rail boardings

By route from highest to lowest:
  1. A Line - 7,052,646
  2. H Line - 4,967,909
  3. E Line - 4,496,104
  4. W Line - 4,324,483
  5. D Line - 3,343,264
  6. F Line - 2,925,490
  7. C Line - 2,588,344
  8. R Line - 1,835,109
  9. B Line - 566,943
By corridor from highest to lowest
  1. SE Corridor (E & F Lines) - 7,421,594
  2. Airport Corridor (A Line) - 7,052,646
  3. I-225 Corridor (H & R Lines) - 6,803,018
  4. SW Corridor (C & D Lines) - 5,931,608
  5. West Corridor (W Line) - 4,324,483
  6. NW Corridor (B Line) - 566,943

Note: Interestingly the A Line and the R Line have the same exact subsidy per boarding. Clearly the A Line needs to be substantially shortened.

Logically, the G and W Lines could be considered as a West 'corridor' even though they're separate.

Last edited by TakeFive; Oct 27, 2019 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 8:26 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Very curious how they quantify subsidy per boarding for the A and R lines, but the A line in particular. I am 95% sure their math is incorrect (and 100% there’s not a single person at the FTA who could do that math, if that’s the source). That is actually an impossible fact.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
The lanes are primarily for inbound buses. It’s a 42% travel time savings in this section.

It is exciting, especially during the same period of time overall bus ridership was down.
Are You saying some thought went into this?

With downtown Denver easily having the highest job density, an emphasis should be made to move commuters more efficiently in and out of downtown during morning and afternoon peak periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Very curious how they quantify subsidy per boarding for the A and R lines, but the A line in particular. I am 95% sure their math is incorrect (and 100% there’s not a single person at the FTA who could do that math, if that’s the source). That is actually an impossible fact.
I linked the data at the top but it's pg 21 here and it's over my head. Presumably commuter rail is more costly? Still that hardly explains it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West