HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:26 PM

Exclamation The US: A "Well-Being" Map

Gallup did a report comparing the well-being of individual states in the US.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...today/?hpid=z4

"Gallup’s well-being index relies on 55 metrics, including rates of obesity, produce consumption, smoking, depression and psychological fulfillment. Generally, the best-off states are in the Midwest and West while the worst are in the south. And there was quite a bit of a shakeup last year. Nineteenth-ranked North Dakota rose to the top spot, while 12th-ranked South Dakota took the second spot. After four years on top, Hawaii fell to the eighth spot. "

More - http://www.gallup.com/poll/167435/no...till-last.aspx

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 8:04 PM

Any comments on this? 160 views and not a single comment. Personally I noted Maryland's prosperity, the only mid-Atlantic state surrounded by worse-off states. Even a state like NJ was worse off, for some reason, although I expected it to be more prosperous, with its density and good public transport.

I also expected FL to be one of the worst states in the country in terms of well-being. Its yellow color surprised me.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:14 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukw View Post
Any comments on this? 160 views and not a single comment. Personally I noted Maryland's prosperity, the only mid-Atlantic state surrounded by worse-off states. Even a state like NJ was worse off, for some reason, although I expected it to be more prosperous, with its density and good public transport.

I also expected FL to be one of the worst states in the country in terms of well-being. Its yellow color surprised me.
That was just one of 25 maps in the Post article. Other maps were more interesting.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:11 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

The lowest quintile is basically all the Human Development Index laggards, plus Ohio and Missouri.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:12 PM

I think maps like this are kinda stupid...my well being is not based on what other people do - but on the choices I make. Things like happiness and well being can't be measured by statistics, so I take this map (and others like it) with a grain of salt. My state ranks pretty well, but the validity of it is very shaky at best.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukw View Post

Why would you think Florida would be one of the worst states in terms of well being?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States