HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:47 PM

Extremely Ontarian skyline. Echoes of London, KW, Ottawa and Windsor. You've got your commie blocks, and, your commie blocks, and of course the famous distinct top/crown on one of the taller buildings...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Extremely Ontarian skyline.
That's a good way of putting it.

Considering the highrise construction frenzy just up the road, it's a bit surprising how little spillover there has been in Hamilton. While I'm sure there is a newer (< 10 years old) tall building somewhere in those photos, I can't spot any myself.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:32 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villaggio View Post
Nice Montreal pics. Toronto is an absolute beast and it's only the beginning!

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJgNUc9g...by=eightwheels
Where else in Canada can you see such a perspective? Quebec is nuts.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 3:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's a good way of putting it.

Considering the highrise construction frenzy just up the road, it's a bit surprising how little spillover there has been in Hamilton. While I'm sure there is a newer (< 10 years old) tall building somewhere in those photos, I can't spot any myself.
There's two buildings under construction visible in that picture.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:07 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:49 PM

It's a bit funny how most of us will all complain about the "sea of boring blue/glass towers" in TO or VAN yet if any of us had or were to purchase a condo in either of these downtown, 99.9% of us would like one of those condos. The reality is condos are getting smaller and smaller and so having lots of windows, maximizing the views and the light in your unit is top priority. Yes, the skyline looks a bit more "boring" but who want realistically want to live in a 60 story brick tower with tiny windows?

Developpers are just building what buyers want...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:11 PM
Human Scale

Vancouver, Canada
by Jay Nathan, on Flickr Uploaded on August 31, 2016

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:21 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
It's a bit funny how most of us will all complain about the "sea of boring blue/glass towers" in TO or VAN yet if any of us had or were to purchase a condo in either of these downtown, 99.9% of us would like one of those condos. The reality is condos are getting smaller and smaller and so having lots of windows, maximizing the views and the light in your unit is top priority. Yes, the skyline looks a bit more "boring" but who want realistically want to live in a 60 story brick tower with tiny windows?

Developpers are just building what buyers want...
That's the marketing pitch. Fact of the matter is a lot of that glass is spandrel and units are built deep with few places for windows compare to those older 60s highrises

old

new

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:29 PM

They build glass because it's cheap.

Royal Bank Centre is all glass but beautiful building due to the gorgeous gold colour.

Calgary even with it's massive building boom has a great variety of design and materials which is what helps it look so astounding. It's sad when black and grey concrete are now considered a colour.

To me, from the Waterfront at least, Toronto's skyline isn't as nice as it was 10 years ago. More buildings don't neccessarily mean a better skyline.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:51 PM

So basically this...

I can see what youre saying, essentially there is a little bit of everything represented, nicely balanced also. On the flip side I don't find it as awe-inspiring.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
So basically this...

I can see what youre saying, essentially there is a little bit of everything represented, nicely balanced also. On the flip side I don't find it as awe-inspiring.
It is truly amazing how much residential real estate has been conjured in Canadian urban centres in the past 2 decades.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:27 AM
gettin' rich!

That skyline is feeble...looks like nowheresville Ontario.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:37 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambria613 View Post
Wow, How long ago was this?? Some of these photos are breathtaking though. I bet when this photo was taken, it was easier to just look up at the stars. I a appreciate the area in which I live, because I get to see the stars every night without a ton of light pollution. However, if you travel about 45 minutes north, you end up in Camden, NJ and you get to see the skyline of Philadelphia.
I don't know about that. It was a dirty city with the air clogged was with soot from coal and wood burning. Makes you wonder if the mass demolitions in the 1960s would have been as widespread if the prewar buildings weren't hidden behind layers of soot. I can still vaguely recall the blacked out Old City Hall of the 1980s in start contrast to the restored sandstone colours it is today.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:49 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
They build glass because it's cheap.

Royal Bank Centre is all glass but beautiful building due to the gorgeous gold colour.

Calgary even with it's massive building boom has a great variety of design and materials which is what helps it look so astounding. It's sad when black and grey concrete are now considered a colour.

To me, from the Waterfront at least, Toronto's skyline isn't as nice as it was 10 years ago. More buildings don't neccessarily mean a better skyline.
We get it. You don't like glass. I'm not one to base architectural quality strictly on materials

I totally disagree Calgary has more variety. It just appears that way to you since it has fewer towers of each variety. I don't need you or dleung to post some comparison of the new office towers in each city either. We know Toronto's are unembellished curtain glass "boxes" and they don't even make up 1% of all the towers built in the last 10 years.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:57 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
We get it. You don't like glass. I'm not one to base architectural quality strictly on materials

I totally disagree Calgary has more variety. It just appears that way to you since it has fewer towers of each variety. I don't need you or dleung to post some comparison of the new office towers in each city either. We know Toronto's are unembellished curtain glass "boxes" and they don't even make up 1% of all the towers built in the last 10 years.
sure...

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:06 AM
I am the law!

LOL

Me criticizing EAP's curtainwall with those god awful mullion caps or the tapered corners on Brookfield having an unfortunate impact on the mullion grid is not me saying all glass is bad as ssiguy has been pushing since the dawn of time. I'm sure an entire district of identical red brick or grey limestone buildings are more than okay with him.

I can get excited over curved glass too. This one is nice. It isn't tall so you've probably never seen it before.

thekingeast @ UT

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:54 AM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
LOL

Me criticizing EAP's curtainwall with those god awful mullion caps or the tapered corners on Brookfield having an unfortunate impact on the mullion grid is not me saying all glass is bad as ssiguy has been pushing since the dawn of time. I'm sure an entire district of identical red brick or grey limestone buildings are more than okay with him.

I can get excited over curved glass too. This one is nice. It isn't tall so you've probably never seen it before.

thekingeast @ UT
Yes your mullion rant about EAP did come to mind. I found it ironic you'd accuse someone else of being too critical of material choices as that is your most consistent criticism of every and any building thag gets posted here. I can't dig up an exact quote but you've basically called entire projects with interesting designs shit for one material choice (EAP for example). So ya I found it funny.

Thanks for sharing that project photo. That looks really cool and I hadn't seen it before. The glazing reminds me of Frank Ghery's building by the docks in Chelsea.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:53 PM

Amazing Montreal shots!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada