HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I find it really sad when young people don’t vote. If I ever heard someone was unable to get out due to childcare/transport/financial I would do everything I could to enable them to vote, but that’s almost never the case. It’s almost always apathetic millennials more interested in their personal lives (gaming, CrossFit, free time) than they are in shaping our country for the future.
Merci. That's exactly it.

Add to it people who have no cable (so no exposure to news usually) and satellite radio or Bluetooth from their phone in their car, and so many people are totally disconnected from the society they live in.

Often the only "news" they get is American-sourced infotainment à la John Oliver which is all about Trump's antics.

Freaky when you think that these dudes and dudettes we're electing today get to make decisions on how to spend a good chunk of the money we all earn. Not to mention how they'll shape the society we live in, as you said.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:32 PM

Our polling station is in my condo building...

I have a client dinner and then have to try and make it home by 9pm. Would've been screwed if it was any further so that's nice.

I was walking out of the building/on the way to work with my buddy from school who lives 4 floors above me. He asked me where the voting station was, I told him, and he said laughed and said he still probably wouldn't be bothered. I'm sure he'll still toss out the usual quip among under-30 downtown office workers grumbling about Trudeau if he wins again though.

Make election day a holiday and voting mandatory! (a shot of authoritarianism to ensure democracy)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I was walking out of the building/on the way to work with my buddy from school who lives 4 floors above me. He asked me where the voting station was, I told him, and he said laughed and said he still probably wouldn't be bothered. I'm sure he'll still toss out the usual quip among under-30 downtown office workers grumbling about Trudeau if he wins again though.

Make election day a holiday and voting mandatory! (a shot of authoritarianism to ensure democracy)
Would shaming work?

Maybe it needs to work like a strata where you can sign your vote over to another citizen.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Manditory voting, anyone? I think the idea should be seriously considered.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:47 PM

Im amazed at how many people voted Liberal even after the last 4 years! Diehards!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:52 PM
sick transit, gloria

Weirdly enough and despite the Millenial Hatred I feel like everyone in my friend / acquaintance group votes religiously. Mostly in their 30s and encompassing a range of professions from public policy to consulting to the service industry. My parents and their friend group are much less likely to vote and often don’t on account of being “too busy” (they aren’t at all). When they were alive my grandparents were pretty militant about voting too.

Monday is a terrible day though. A Wednesday or Thursday would be much more preferable to me.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Im amazed at how many people voted Liberal even after the last 4 years! Diehards!!
Lesser of two evils

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Weirdly enough and despite the Millenial Hatred I feel like everyone in my friend / acquaintance group votes religiously. Mostly in their 30s and encompassing a range of professions from public policy to consulting to the service industry. My parents and their friend group are much less likely to vote and often don’t on account of being “too busy” (they aren’t at all). When they were alive my grandparents were pretty militant about voting too.

Monday is a terrible day though. A Wednesday or Thursday would be much more preferable to me.
With advance polls and alternative voting mechanisms, what difference does the day of the week make?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I have only one friend who doesn't vote. All others are very religious about it too, even if they may not follow politics as a whole as much as others do. They're still fairly well informed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:12 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
With advance polls and alternative voting mechanisms, what difference does the day of the week make?
I usually like to wait till the bitter end of a campaign, just in case. Though really it probably has more to do with wanting to stay up late and watch the election results / join friends are going to a bar this eve to watch without feeling exhausted on Tuesday!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Monday can be a busy and unpredictable day for people that show up to work.

Even a Friday would be better. Monday is probably the worst day of the week.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:20 PM

NDP for the first time federally, ever. I voted for them provincially in 1990. Traditionally voted Conservative, but they don't really seem to be grabbing me lately.

I looked back at the history of my riding since it was formed in 1968. Other than the 1979 Joe Clark minority and 2006 Harper minority, this riding has elected the eventual winning party. We have never elected the NDP federally, and I don't even think it was close. However, provincially, we just re-elected for a second term, an NDP member, by healthy margins.

Don't know how realistic an NDP win is here, but there is fat chance I'm voting Liberal, and Scheer just doesn't do it for me. I don't particularly have anything against my local Liberal MP, but in listening to local debates, she sounded like the newscaster that she used to be, reading the teleprompter. I heard enough "Doug Ford cuts, Harper years, blah blah" from Trudeau, I didn't need it from her too. The Conservative candidate didn't really impress me either. The NDP though, she was well spoken, listened to questions and gave thought out replies. Plus, she was the only one of the major candidates to reply to my 17 year old daughter on twitter and agreed to be interviewed by her last week for her blog about youth issues. And Jagmeet has been great, especially on the national TV debate, as well as with that old guy that told him to cut off his turban. Might turn out that I helped elect a Conservative, but maybe their will be another orange wave and the carryover from the provincial election last year where we re-elected an NDP here.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Voted

As usual, lots of grey and white hair at the polling station, and none of my 40-something friends voted
That's the really sad and pathetic thing, that 35% of the population don't even bother to show up. I don't agree with forced voting like in Australia as I think it is part of our freedoms as to whether or not one wants to engage in the political process.

The thing that pisses me off is that the people who don't vote are usually the one's who bitch the loudest. They will say they are not interested in politics to justify it to themselves but they are the first one's to bitch about lines ups at the emergency ward, expensive gas, heavy traffic, bad roads, their kids not being able to get into university, homeless people asking them for change, hydro being too expensive, the bus is late, their subway train is delayed again, crime in their neighbourhood, too many immigrants, their jobs being sent overseas etc, etc, etc. It's amazing and frightening how so many people think that politics and these common complaints have nothing to do with each other.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I am sure there are some but I actually do not know anyone who says they do not vote.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Our polling station is in my condo building...
Not only is it my building, one of the polling staff went door to door both to remind and assist people getting down to it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Manditory voting, anyone? I think the idea should be seriously considered.
I hate mandatory voting; catchphrases and hairstyle hold too much power as it is over detailed policy review.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I find it really sad when young people don’t vote. If I ever heard someone was unable to get out due to childcare/transport/financial I would do everything I could to enable them to vote, but that’s almost never the case. It’s almost always apathetic millennials more interested in their personal lives (gaming, CrossFit, free time) than they are in shaping our country for the future. There was a large proportion of pick ups and camo at my polling station today so I’m not feeling too confident in my Liberal preference.

...at least Justine McCaffrey will offer all kinds of stupid sound bites for the media if she’s elected
Why on Earth would you want someone who can't be bothered to follow the politics be voting on the politics?

This is an incredibly reckless idea.

I'm 32 and am proud to say today was the first time I've ever voted.

I'm proud to say this kind of reckless advice is exactly why I became a conservative.

Irresponsibility is a hell of a drug but eventually you have to sober up.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
I hate mandatory voting; catchphrases and hairstyle hold too much power as it is over detailed policy review.
Not sure I see the link to mandatory voting.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Not sure I see the link to mandatory voting.
Folks who don't want to vote, but get forced to do so anyway, put in the least research in Australia. That is, they're swayed by the most trivial of concerns.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:47 PM

Voted Conservative mostly because I think Trudeau is a knob and the other parties want to cripple my province.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada