HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:13 PM
DENNAB

Yea, I doubt the supertall will begin any time soon (hopefully within a year or two though?) but I'm willing to wait. The fact that there's even a chance of this thing getting built makes me really excited. Chi-town is long overdue for a 400+ meter building.

Another 28+ feet would be nice though

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea, I doubt the supertall will begin any time soon (hopefully within a year or two though?) but I'm willing to wait. The fact that there's even a chance of this thing getting built makes me really excited. Chi-town is long overdue for a 400+ meter building.

Another 28+ feet would be nice though
In the meeting back in the Spring they concluded that construction on the supertall wouldn't commence till the Tribune renovation was complete. So at least 2 years till there's a chance to start digging.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:31 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
In the meeting back in the Spring they concluded that construction on the supertall wouldn't commence till the Tribune renovation was complete. So at least 2 years till there's a chance to start digging.
Ah okay, hopefully they'll come to their senses within that time frame and build a new tallest.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 3:52 PM

im sure that's just for the condo conversion

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
im sure that's just for the condo conversion
Yup. I think you are right.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:29 AM

07/28/18

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:39 PM
BANNED

^Wow. Bittersweet moment!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 3:31 PM
THAT Guy

^ But there is good news. The Chicago Tribune sign will stay after all:

Quote:
Chicago Tribune sign will remain on the redeveloped Tribune Tower after lawsuit ends

The iconic Chicago Tribune sign will remain on the exterior of Tribune Tower, even after the newspaper’s recent move from the Michigan Avenue landmark.

The newspaper’s parent company, Tronc, and the real estate firms redeveloping the tower, CIM Group and Golub & Co., reached a settlement Friday to end a lawsuit filed this past spring over the sign’s fate.

...Construction on the new 1,422-foot-high skyscraper, if approved, could begin in late 2019. It would have a 200-room hotel, 439 rental apartments and 125 condos.

Golub and CIM have continued meeting with community groups and Ald. Brendan Reilly, 42nd, and plan to submit their planned development to the Chicago Plan Commission in September, Golub said.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 4:13 PM
1st Ward

Great to hear! Hard to imagine seeing the Tribune Tower without its iconic Gothic sign still attached to it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^ But there is good news. The Chicago Tribune sign will stay after all:
Okay, so if I’m reading this right, then we could have this approved within a few months. And a year from now it could start construction? If so that’s exciting. This is definitely the development I’m most excited about right now. I love this design and it’s going to do incredible things for the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Yeah that sign has such rich historic value, great news.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:55 PM

except that the newspaper doesn't want its name on a building it was basically thrown out of

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
except that the newspaper doesn't want its name on a building it was basically thrown out of
If by "basically thrown out of" you mean "a building they listed for sale when they decided to move and were paid a handsome some for", then yes.

Seriously guys, Tribune owned the building and decided to move out and sold it. They were paid nearly a quarter of a billion dollars for it... Poor Tribune, being kicked out of a building they willingly left and forced to accept a $240,000,000 check on the way put the door!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
If by "basically thrown out of" you mean "a building they listed for sale when they decided to move and were paid a handsome some for", then yes.

Seriously guys, Tribune owned the building and decided to move out and sold it. They were paid nearly a quarter of a billion dollars for it... Poor Tribune, being kicked out of a building they willingly left and forced to accept a $240,000,000 check on the way put the door!
Dang. That’s a large sum.

The Lightbank guys made out like bandits for the relative pittance ($33MM) they paid for the Wrigley Building (especially in light of the recent $250MM+ sale).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

wrong.

Tribune split into Tribune Media and Tribune Publishing, which holds the newspaper (and which became Tronc. )

Tribune Media, the broadcast stuff, took all the real estate, and THEY sold the tower to Golub. The newspaper began paying class A office rates for a building they had previously owned. Golub wanted it to go condo and basically forced it.

The newspaper got nothing except a court fight over the name that Golub wanted to keep up there for marketing and cache, instead of, you know, coming up with a way to keep the paper there

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
wrong.

Tribune split into Tribune Media and Tribune Publishing, which holds the newspaper (and which became Tronc. )

Tribune Media, the broadcast stuff, took all the real estate, and THEY sold the tower to Golub. The newspaper began paying class A office rates for a building they had previously owned. Golub wanted it to go condo and basically forced it.

The newspaper got nothing except a court fight over the name that Golub wanted to keep up there for marketing and cache, instead of, you know, coming up with a way to keep the paper there
Oof. Looks like print media isn't the way to go, you guys.

Let's just be happy they aren't knocking it down and call it a draw, huh?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 8:18 PM

I just thought of a question I should have asked at the Golub presentation. Will the remodeled Tribune building and the new tower be connected?

Would you be able to walk through the front door on Michigan ave, and walk all the way through to the lobby of the new building?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:29 AM

Quote:
wrong.

So at one point Tribune was one company and then decided to split knowing the office space would now become a tenant with not ownership rights...

Hmm sounds to me like they still decided that their future didn't lie at the Tribune building...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:23 PM

^the newspaper was one property of the giant company that didn't decide anything for itself and then obviously had zero say after the split because it was in a different company even than the one that sold the building. The drift started under Sam Zell when he was eyeing all the real estate.

It is confusing. Lots of people thought the Tribune newspaper was going to merge with Sinclair, when that was Tribune Media, for example. Not Tronc, which incidentally is going to change its name back to Tribune Publishing, which won't help.

anyway, the result of the suit is puzzling. Not sure they could just slap "McDonalds" up there, but whatever

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:45 PM

This is a beautiful building. Hopefully it'll get built! I'd hate for it to be a cancelled project. I wonder if the sale team will focus on foreign buyers in order for this to get built. Can you imagine if this building was built in the south loop? It would have a massive presence!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals