HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:49 PM

Yes those wooden boxes are built around the 3 elevator shafts in that spot. There are another 3 elevator shafts in that white rectangle area.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea that loose like elevator shafts and a 2nd flor of them witch lines up with whats in the basement food cort
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I wonder if those wooden things they are building up are forms for the elevator shaft? They seem awfully narrow for that:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:57 AM
Back from the dead

I asked before but got no answer so I'll try again: Are we absolutely certain the building is set 142 meters?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I asked before but got no answer so I'll try again: Are we absolutely certain the building is set 142 meters?
Yes by Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The height has been confirmed here, by me, a couple times. Taken directly from the set of drawings they are using to build it.

So consider it confirmed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 12:07 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Yes by Drew
Is that exactly 142.00 meters?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:41 PM
What could go wrong?

It is two banks of 3 elevator shafts. The 3 they are working on with the plywood forms and 3 will go to the other equal white wrapped structure just to the south....from the plans.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:48 PM

Seems a little odd to me that the elevators are so close to the SE corner. Makes me think that restaurant space is going to be very small or very oddly shaped. Can't imagine Earls even giving it real consideration now... or any big chain for that matter.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:59 PM

^ The elevator location does seem a bit odd... I still don't have a good sense for what kind of footprint the tower will occupy. It looks different depending on which rendering I'm looking at.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Seems a little odd to me that the elevators are so close to the SE corner. Makes me think that restaurant space is going to be very small or very oddly shaped. Can't imagine Earls even giving it real consideration now... or any big chain for that matter.
They could place a kitchen on the north side of the elevators and have a reasonably large dining room and bar space on the south side.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:52 PM
What could go wrong?

The tower is fairly centred over the elevator shafts. I think the old foundation outline is throwing off the perspective a bit.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
They could place a kitchen on the north side of the elevators and have a reasonably large dining room and bar space on the south side.
I don't think there will be much space there at all as the entrances to WS from the skywalk and street are being reconfigured/expanded a bit, with a main floor CRU. Plus part of that space will be going to the built-in patio area, plus the dedicated entrance off Main.

I do know right off the hop that Earls said the space was smaller than their current one, which was an issue. They still entertained Artis for a bit, but seeing this I can't imagine them ever going there. Unless the space was almost free.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't think there will be much space there at all as the entrances to WS from the skywalk and street are being reconfigured/expanded a bit, with a main floor CRU. Plus part of that space will be going to the built-in patio area, plus the dedicated entrance off Main.

I do know right off the hop that Earls said the space was smaller than their current one, which was an issue. They still entertained Artis for a bit, but seeing this I can't imagine them ever going there. Unless the space was almost free.
I understand the Main St. earls did over 6 million last year. Pretty risky to move away from that.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:54 PM

^^^ the resto could be 2 levels plus patio.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Also, don't forget the building will square off the corner....meaning, right now there is a bit of a concrete triangle plaza on the corner of Main and Graham so they will gain space there that isn't really evident from the current pictures.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:35 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^the area in the upper left corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Hawerchuk View Post
Was this it (from @Paul_Hesse on Twitter)?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:52 PM

^ Wouldn't that involve having to build a new foundation for that part?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:55 PM

Looking the renders, it appears the tower is confined to the existing foundations. The new pergola looking area is only 1 or 2 stories high, with a patio area in that corner. So must be able to make it work with the existing foundation or maybe new piles in that area.

https://300main.ca/

They have conflicting renders and such on the website. Maybe just the 2 videos are conflicting. But in general that area appears to be similar across all renders. What si the final design, the one with the white circular opening on top?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:47 PM
What could go wrong?

From the plans, the half circle sure seems to eat into that concrete plaza area. Hard to tell though.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Like this, because that's not how it is now. I'm not talking like it will be a massive amount of gained space, but it is definitely larger that the squared off outline of the existing building line visible from above.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:05 PM

^ Looks like the low-slung CRU will be built on the eastern edge of the original tower foundation, while the tower itself will be set well back from the street?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan