HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:37 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
The WAC is more competitive in basketball. Not on MWC's level in football right now. Though I like the Conference name WAC much better then MWC, which sounds stupid, and too specific, and of course has little history.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:41 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
There is a difference when teams at least have the potential to really step up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
What about the dreaded Wyoming cowgirls or UNM?? The WAC has three good teams too... BSU, Fresno and Hawaii. Not perfect, no, but give it some time. That's all I'm saying.. Pendulums can swing. Give it some time..

I think BSU should stay out the MWC. It's overrated.. What I'd like to see is more WAC vs MWC games.

They don't want us anyways.. Screw them...
I am trying to figure out how delusional your are. The mountain west as a statistical area is the least populace. Big deal! What the Mountain West does have are excellent and well established universities. This is important in figuring out what schools have the potential and resources to step up and step away.

I am not saying BSU is a bad school because it has made amazing strides. Yet, schools that have noted departments...Nobel prizes and a history of excellence in a number of fields are a different ball game.

If there is one thing that "BCS" conferences have are long lasting traditions. They all may not have the best football schools but they do have history of performance and history of tradition. I would say that in the Mountain West area (physical area and not conference), Utah, BYU, Colorado and Air Force lead all of the schools (not necessarily in that order). The rest of the MWC schools have real tradition and length. While TCU is not in a Moutain West area, it basically has as good a tradition of anyone in its old, now reformed, to the Big 12.

Looking at the WAC is a very different story.

It is all about potential and the MWC...and this is my opinion just has it all over the WAC.

The big picture is overall potential! Sorry!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:50 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
Hmmmm...We are not comparing food and beverage here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Hmmmmm. Maybe this is the reason Boise, especially downtown has so many coffee houses, wine bars, martini bars, and they are always packed. I believe Boise's largest religious faith is Roman Catholic. But you don't have to be on what might be considered the Lords Side to be a success as long as everyone gets along and plays well!
Please...coffee houses, wine bars and martini bars are irrelevent. It is like trying to compare the metro area of Boise to the metro area of SLC...or like comparing NYC, where I live to SLC. There is no comparison because they are each indivual areas and each has its own incredible potential,

If you want to get more realistic, in the last census (check World Almanac) there are almost a quarter of a million Catholics within the Ogden to Provo area and that is totally besides the point. Who cares!

Religion does not make better or worse fans. You believe in what you believe in and I think religion is not even a context to debate over.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:24 PM
CaliforniaKid's Avatar
CaliforniaKid CaliforniaKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
If you want to get more realistic, in the last census (check World Almanac) there are almost a quarter of a million Catholics within the Ogden to Provo area and that is totally besides the point. Who cares!

Religion does not make better or worse fans. You believe in what you believe in and I think religion is not even a context to debate over.
Then why are you making the point that there are almost a quarter of a million Catholics within the Ogden to Provo area??

It's still Mormon country.. Whatever you do don't tell the blacks that they are cursed or you will loose all the black players and then really loose the games.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:30 PM
bronco(bsu) Student bronco(bsu) Student is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 674
It isn't really making a point when someone follows up the stat with "that is totally besides the point. Who cares!"

Reading comprehension 101.

Besides, you really are making an ass of yourself. Not the best representation for our city, and our group of posters.
__________________
Facebook
Flickr
Formerly bronco(bsu) Fan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:13 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
The salient point and the only point that matters to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
It isn't really making a point when someone follows up the stat with "that is totally besides the point. Who cares!"

Reading comprehension 101.

Besides, you really are making an ass of yourself. Not the best representation for our city, and our group of posters.


Religion does not make better or worse fans. You believe in what you believe in and I think religion is not even a context to debate over.

Each city is different...some much larger and some much smaller but all have the same intrinsic values.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:38 PM
bronco(bsu) Student bronco(bsu) Student is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
Religion does not make better or worse fans. You believe in what you believe in and I think religion is not even a context to debate over.

Each city is different...some much larger and some much smaller but all have the same intrinsic values.
Hit the nail on the head. I understood what you meant.
__________________
Facebook
Flickr
Formerly bronco(bsu) Fan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 9:06 PM
Boiseguy's Avatar
Boiseguy Boiseguy is offline
Always running Late
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BOISE
Posts: 1,209
I dunno how and why religion has been brought into this.... has absolutely ZERO to do with football...
I have my own beliefs about the LDS church.. but some of the stuff said about BYU in regards to their fans and their program is a bit underhanded and low class... deseretnews and sltrib message boards are full of it too....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 9:39 PM
VelvetElvis VelvetElvis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 177
BoiseGuy,
Your avatar is perfect. A dichotomous tribute to both Halloween and Thanksgiving. -A tantilizingly glazed turkey that simultaneously resembles the large "mother" organism in Aliens.
As for football... Chelsea is tops in tradition. Zigga Zagga Zigga Zagga oi oi oi! And with Oregon coming on, this may be Boise's year. -Not a team I follow much, but would like to see what they could do with Florida. And although the MWC has a few losses that could have been great wins, if the conference finishes with 2-3 teams with 10 wins and another 3-4 with 8 or more, that would still be a nice continuation of the BCS argument. Does anyone see Utah, BYU, TCU, Air Force or CSU finishing below .500? And UNLV might sneak in there too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 9:46 PM
CaliforniaKid's Avatar
CaliforniaKid CaliforniaKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
Quote:
I dunno how and why religion has been brought into this.... has absolutely ZERO to do with football...
I have my own beliefs about the LDS church.. but some of the stuff said about BYU in regards to their fans and their program is a bit underhanded and low class... deseretnews and sltrib message boards are full of it too....
Sorry guys but I'm sympathetic to the blacks and live in California so I'm sensitive to the issue.. About bringing up religion in football, well, BYU means Brigham Young University. If that isn't Mormon then I don't know what is...

When you play as a religious university (BYU) then you are making a religious statement. Sorry..

But enough said. Let's talk about football...

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Sep 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 9:48 PM
Boiseguy's Avatar
Boiseguy Boiseguy is offline
Always running Late
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BOISE
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
BoiseGuy,
Your avatar is perfect. A dichotomous tribute to both Halloween and Thanksgiving. -A tantilizingly glazed turkey that simultaneously resembles the large "mother" organism in Aliens.
As for football... Chelsea is tops in tradition. Zigga Zagga Zigga Zagga oi oi oi! And with Oregon coming on, this may be Boise's year. -Not a team I follow much, but would like to see what they could do with Florida. And although the MWC has a few losses that could have been great wins, if the conference finishes with 2-3 teams with 10 wins and another 3-4 with 8 or more, that would still be a nice continuation of the BCS argument. Does anyone see Utah, BYU, TCU, Air Force or CSU finishing below .500? And UNLV might sneak in there too.
thanks.. just keeping my avatar updated for all my "lurking" fans.. lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
CaliforniaKid's Avatar
CaliforniaKid CaliforniaKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
Let's look at BSU stats from last year.



Nation’s Winningest I-A Programs in the 2000s
Team Record Pct.

1. Boise State 92-16 .852
2. Texas 92-17 .844
3. Oklahoma 95-18 .841
4. Ohio State 87-21 .806
5. USC 84-21 .780
6. Georgia 88-23 .793
7. LSU 86-23 .789
8. Miami (Fla.) 80-25 .762
9. Virginia Tech 83-26 .761

Wins By West Coast Teams Since 2000
No. Team Wins

1. Boise State 92
2. USC 84
3. Utah 73
4. Oregon 70
5. Hawaii 70
6. Fresno State 67
7. BYU 65
Oregon State 65
9. Arizona State 58
UCLA 58
11. California 57

CONFERENCE RECORD SINCE 2002
TEAM RECORD PCT

1. Boise State 48-2 .960
2. USC 48-6 .889
3. Oklahoma 44-8 .846
4. Ohio State 43-8 .843
5. Texas 42-9 .824
6. West Virginia 36-8 .818
7. LSU 39-12 .765
8. Michigan 38-12 .760
9. Georgia 37-13 .740
10. TCU 38-14 .731
11. Auburn 37-15 .712
12. Louisville 32-13 .711
13. Northern Illinois 35-15 .700
14. Miami (OH) 33-15 .689
15. Bowling Green 35-17 .673
16. Florida State 33-16 .673
17. Toledo 32-16 .667

BOISE STATE VS. BCS TEAMS record (6-5) since 2002.

2002 Boise State 34, Iowa State 16
2003 Oregon State 26, Boise State 24
2004 Boise State 53, Oregon State 34
2005 Georgia 48, Boise State 13
2005 Oregon State 30 Boise State 27
2005 Boston College 27, Boise State 21
2006 Boise State 42, Oregon State 14
2006 (2007) Boise State 43, Oklahoma 42 (OT)
2007 Washington 24, Boise State 10
2008 Boise State 37, Oregon 32
2009 Boise State 19, Oregon 8

Most Blocked Kicks Since 2002

1. Fresno State 42
2. Texas 39
3. Boise State 33
4. Louisiana-Lafayette 32
5. Virginia Tech 31
6. Florida 30
Kentucky 30
Kansas State 30
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
bronco(bsu) Student bronco(bsu) Student is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Let's look at BSU stats from last year.



Nation’s Winningest I-A Programs in the 2000s
Team Record Pct.

1. Boise State 92-16 .852
2. Texas 92-17 .844
3. Oklahoma 95-18 .841
4. Ohio State 87-21 .806
5. USC 84-21 .780
6. Georgia 88-23 .793
7. LSU 86-23 .789
8. Miami (Fla.) 80-25 .762
9. Virginia Tech 83-26 .761

Wins By West Coast Teams Since 2000
No. Team Wins

1. Boise State 92
2. USC 84
3. Utah 73
4. Oregon 70
5. Hawaii 70
6. Fresno State 67
7. BYU 65
Oregon State 65
9. Arizona State 58
UCLA 58
11. California 57

CONFERENCE RECORD SINCE 2002
TEAM RECORD PCT

1. Boise State 48-2 .960
2. USC 48-6 .889
3. Oklahoma 44-8 .846
4. Ohio State 43-8 .843
5. Texas 42-9 .824
6. West Virginia 36-8 .818
7. LSU 39-12 .765
8. Michigan 38-12 .760
9. Georgia 37-13 .740
10. TCU 38-14 .731
11. Auburn 37-15 .712
12. Louisville 32-13 .711
13. Northern Illinois 35-15 .700
14. Miami (OH) 33-15 .689
15. Bowling Green 35-17 .673
16. Florida State 33-16 .673
17. Toledo 32-16 .667

BOISE STATE VS. BCS TEAMS record (6-5) since 2002.

2002 Boise State 34, Iowa State 16
2003 Oregon State 26, Boise State 24
2004 Boise State 53, Oregon State 34
2005 Georgia 48, Boise State 13
2005 Oregon State 30 Boise State 27
2005 Boston College 27, Boise State 21
2006 Boise State 42, Oregon State 14
2006 (2007) Boise State 43, Oklahoma 42 (OT)
2007 Washington 24, Boise State 10
2008 Boise State 37, Oregon 32
2009 Boise State 19, Oregon 8

Most Blocked Kicks Since 2002

1. Fresno State 42
2. Texas 39
3. Boise State 33
4. Louisiana-Lafayette 32
5. Virginia Tech 31
6. Florida 30
Kentucky 30
Kansas State 30
No one is doubting BSU's successes, they're just doubting the WAC
__________________
Facebook
Flickr
Formerly bronco(bsu) Fan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 11:21 PM
CaliforniaKid's Avatar
CaliforniaKid CaliforniaKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
Quote:
No one is doubting BSU's successes, they're just doubting the WAC
This is an older stat, but Fresno isn't exactly weak..

"Winning back-to-back road games for the first time since 1981, the Fresno State football team continues to wreak havoc with BCS teams. The Bulldogs, who started the season off with consecutive wins over BCS team for the second time in four years, have won their last three games against BCS competition and have gone 9-6 in their last 15 games versus BCS teams; nine of these opponents were ranked in the Top 25 at time of play."

http://www.csufresno.edu/journal/vol...orts/bcs.shtml

And Oregon pummeled Cal today 42-3..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 12:44 AM
CaliforniaKid's Avatar
CaliforniaKid CaliforniaKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
And when a wimpy WAC team like Idaho beats up on a MWC team it makes me wonder...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 7:54 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,111
With Oregon massacering #6 ranked Cal 43?-3 today, this should give Utah a little more understanding to their loss, and a huge amount of respect to Boise State. Let's hope that both Utah & Boise State win the rest of the season.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 10:24 AM
bronco(bsu) Student bronco(bsu) Student is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
And when a wimpy WAC team like Idaho beats up on a MWC team it makes me wonder...
SDSU is the cellar dweller of the MWC, no excuses there, Idaho is also looking better. Fresno just needs to figure out how to win, and Oregon did make us look good today. If BSU's defense could just learn how to tackle I would be content...
__________________
Facebook
Flickr
Formerly bronco(bsu) Fan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 2:56 PM
jard's Avatar
jard jard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boise
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
SDSU is the cellar dweller of the MWC, no excuses there, Idaho is also looking better. Fresno just needs to figure out how to win, and Oregon did make us look good today. If BSU's defense could just learn how to tackle I would be content...
Well, BSU kicking game could stand some improvement as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 4:11 PM
bronco(bsu) Student bronco(bsu) Student is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jard View Post
Well, BSU kicking game could stand some improvement as well.
Yeah its been lackluster all season. Even though we missed a field goal and a PAT, it didn't endanger the outcome(unlike the TCU and Oregon game) so I wasn't disappointed. Brotzman really needs to get it together, I think this is his "Z" headcase year.
__________________
Facebook
Flickr
Formerly bronco(bsu) Fan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 9:23 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
It is also one game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
And when a wimpy WAC team like Idaho beats up on a MWC team it makes me wonder...
Anyone who follows sports knows that any team can beat any other team on a given day.

I am not so surprised that Idaho won. They were not exactly playing Florida but they won. Congratulations to them.

Every conference has teams that just never fulfill their potential to become the team that they could be.

I will never understand why SDSU, a school in one of the richest recruiting areas anywhere, plays like they do not get the point of the game. Pretty sad!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.