HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:06 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colebrook, NH (as well as QC & FL)
Posts: 25,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
"Cincinatti"
Which is easier to remember correctly if you break it down into 3 words:

cin

cin

atti




Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:32 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I basically consider Obadno a troll at this point. Either that, or he's completely incapable of having honest, intelligent conversation. The defensiveness reeks of insecurity.
The inability for people to understand sarcasm and a little sass on this forum is truly astonishing.

Bunch of self important gasbags
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:51 PM
edale edale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The inability for people to understand sarcasm and a little sass on this forum is truly astonishing.

Bunch of self important gasbags
Maybe your 'sarcasm' sucks? Maybe it's hard to tell what is sarcasm and what is serious, when all your posts essentially have the same tone and point.

Maybe I'm a self important gasbag
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:58 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The inability for people to understand sarcasm
Except your posts carry no tones of sarcasm, whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:32 PM
KB0679's Avatar
KB0679 KB0679 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,470
I've heard criticisms of Jacksonville's skyline before, but I think folks are being way too hard on it. I think one of the issues is that the river actually breaks up the skyline so you have the main northbank cluster and the southbank cluster, plus a secondary northbank cluster. The typical skyline shot is usually of the main northbank cluster taken from the southbank:


https://newvitruvian.com/images/skyl...skyline-11.jpg

However this vantage point doesn't capture the "backside" density of the northbank or the other clusters which can be had from other vantage points:


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Panorama.JPG


http://metroscenes.com/jacksonville/...nes.com_17.jpg


https://i.etsystatic.com/5459756/r/i...25280_9esn.jpg

Jacksonville's skyline is just fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:54 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,543
It's a long-running gag to compare Jacksonville to Toronto because someone (I'm not mentioning names so as to not conjure him/her) was insistent that he/she either preferred Jacksonville's skyline to Toronto or was trying to argue that Jacksonville had a more aesthetically pleasing skyline than Toronto. I understand that arguing aesthetics is subjective but it got ridiculous to the point of trolling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:58 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
But you totally got me because I've typed it a a lot in the past couple of months (just visited in June) and I've spelled it wrong every. Time. Just can't figure it out lmao
To be fair, autocorrect on some phones is capable of doing some really stupid shit. My text messages to friends and family as well as my posts here make me sound like an idiot whenever I'm browsing on a phone. It's a combination of fat, stubby fingers and, well, being an idiot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:24 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think that I still prefer the Pittsburgh skyline aesthetics overall to Philly's, mainly because of the setting and the angles. Philly's has to be taken from certain viewpoints or so much of it gets obscured by itself.

Philly's height, depth, and extent is obviously MUCH more impressive than Pittsburgh's, but unless you're viewing the skyline from south Philly or the Mann center, I'm just not a that big of a fan of the way it looks.
The natural setting in Pittsburgh adds for the dramatic too. Its more post card worthy. I forgot the name of it but there is that tunnel that leads you from a seemingly suburban almost rural area and then bam! you're right downtown with one of the best angles of the skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:28 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Maybe your 'sarcasm' sucks? Maybe it's hard to tell what is sarcasm and what is serious, when all your posts essentially have the same tone and point.

Maybe I'm a self important gasbag
Most likely
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:29 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Except your posts carry no tones of sarcasm, whatsoever.
That’s just your perception man
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:38 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I've heard criticisms of Jacksonville's skyline before, but I think folks are being way too hard on it. I think one of the issues is that the river actually breaks up the skyline so you have the main northbank cluster and the southbank cluster, plus a secondary northbank cluster. The typical skyline shot is usually of the main northbank cluster taken from the southbank:


https://newvitruvian.com/images/skyl...skyline-11.jpg

However this vantage point doesn't capture the "backside" density of the northbank or the other clusters which can be had from other vantage points:


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Panorama.JPG


http://metroscenes.com/jacksonville/...nes.com_17.jpg


https://i.etsystatic.com/5459756/r/i...25280_9esn.jpg

Jacksonville's skyline is just fine.
I'm not impressed.

There is literally 1 building that is remotely aesthetically pleasing (the one that is a weak duplicate of San Diego's One American Plaza).

Remove that 1 building and you have an assortment of relatively short low density boxes.

Modis (Wells Fargo) looks like what you would get if you asked a three year old to "draw a building" in 1970.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:08 AM
KB0679's Avatar
KB0679 KB0679 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
It's a long-running gag to compare Jacksonville to Toronto because someone (I'm not mentioning names so as to not conjure him/her) was insistent that he/she either preferred Jacksonville's skyline to Toronto or was trying to argue that Jacksonville had a more aesthetically pleasing skyline than Toronto. I understand that arguing aesthetics is subjective but it got ridiculous to the point of trolling.
That's...different. But I have actually heard people say that they felt Jax's skyline is subpar so I took the mentions seriously.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:18 AM
KB0679's Avatar
KB0679 KB0679 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I'm not impressed.

There is literally 1 building that is remotely aesthetically pleasing (the one that is a weak duplicate of San Diego's One American Plaza).

Remove that 1 building and you have an assortment of relatively short low density boxes.

Modis (Wells Fargo) looks like what you would get if you asked a three year old to "draw a building" in 1970.
I didn't say it was impressive, but I realize that the mentions of Jacksonville could very well be for different reasons. Of course aesthetics is the most subjective reason and that's completely a matter of personal preference, but from my experiences, most who have criticized Jacksonville's skyline have said something to the effect of it not being fitting or big enough for its size. That's really not the case when compared to its peers but the attractiveness of its individual buildings are in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:20 AM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I didn't say it was impressive, but I realize that the mentions of Jacksonville could very well be for different reasons. Of course aesthetics is the most subjective reason and that's completely a matter of personal preference, but from my experiences, most who have criticized Jacksonville's skyline have said something to the effect of it not being fitting or big enough for its size. That's really not the case when compared to its peers but the attractiveness of its individual buildings are in the eye of the beholder.
Do you honestly find any of the building's in Jacksonville's skyline to be attractive?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:27 AM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
SUSPENDED
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That being said, you have cities who have taken advantage of this, like Pittsburgh, Seattle, SF, Vancouver, HK. Whereas other cities haven't... like Phoenix. For the 5th most populous city in the US and 11th largest metro in the US it has a pretty woeful skyline, even after taking into account the beautiful surrounding scenery and sunsets.
This may come as a surprise to this forum, but people don't move to Phoenix looking for a Chicago.

Heck, most normal people don't factor in a city's skyline when considering a move. They think about things like jobs, affordability, cost of living, climate, recreation, schools -- not whether the city has built some 500 footers recently or some cool bars are located near the courthouse or law firm.

Phoenix will never be a Chicago, because it has land, lots of land. It had a population of 100k in 1950. It also has a massive 4 runway airport just east of downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:30 AM
KB0679's Avatar
KB0679 KB0679 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Do you honestly find any of the building's in Jacksonville's skyline to be attractive?
Yes actually I do. There are probably a good 6 or 7 that I actually like, maybe like 3 that are sorta blah, while the rest are just okay. I think, from certain vantage points, the skyline is layered, has variety, and has decent height and density.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:46 AM
homebucket homebucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Bay
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
This may come as a surprise to this forum, but people don't move to Phoenix looking for a Chicago.

Heck, most normal people don't factor in a city's skyline when considering a move. They think about things like jobs, affordability, cost of living, climate, recreation, schools -- not whether the city has built some 500 footers recently or some cool bars are located near the courthouse or law firm.

Phoenix will never be a Chicago, because it has land, lots of land. It had a population of 100k in 1950. It also has a massive 4 runway airport just east of downtown.
That may be true but the discussion is about skylines, and the fact remains that for a major city, Phoenix has one of, if not the smallest skyline for its population.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:47 AM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
the fact remains that for a major city, Phoenix has one of, if not the smallest skyline for its population.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:52 AM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
SUSPENDED
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That may be true but the discussion is about skylines, and the fact remains that for a major city, Phoenix has one of, if not the smallest skyline for its population.
That is true, I'm not disputing that. What I am saying is that the skyline aspect that attracts people to Phoenix is the mountains - like Camelback, South Mountain, Piestewa Peak and the long distance vistas across the Valley. Not whether or not they have a view of the Chase building.

This is true in many western cities -- "Do not block my view of the _____!!" [usually it's mountains].

It's entirely different than a city like Chicago.

Which goes back to my post, people don't move to Phoenix in search of Chicago. People don't move to Los Angeles in search of New York.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:53 AM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That may be true but the discussion is about skylines, and the fact remains that for a major city, Phoenix has one of, if not the smallest skyline for its population.
Nobody has ever claimed that isnt the case
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.