HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Hamilton Hammer Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Carmen's Hotel/Condo | ? | 44 fls | Proposed

Carmen’s proposes ‘wow factor’ for Hamilton

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

The Carmen’s Group is looking to become the Walt Disney of Hamilton and make the city’s dreams come true.

As part of managing the city-owned Hamilton Convention Centre, the Mercanti family is preparing to build a $200-million, 700,000-square-foot hotel complex, which will include an addition of 1,000 parking spaces, three “world-class” high-end restaurant and shops in the city’s core. The proposed building would be 44 storeys, with a 440-room hotel, with 150 condominium units.

“It’s our own vision to do it,” said Peter Mercanti. “This is a game-changer complex.”

Peter Mercanti, owner of Carmen’s suggested the structure could eventually be the future home of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. He suggested the project could be underway within five years.

Carmen’s is bidding, along with SMG, and Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. to take over the Convention Centre. A decision could be reached in September.

“To get conventions, we need hotels. Our city is lacking hotels,” said Mercanti, flanked by his sons Joey, and P.J. You’ve got to bring people downtown. I will make it happen. I promise. I wish I could start tomorrow.
“We are committed,” added Mercanti. “We’ve had too many empty promises. We are not about that. This is a wow factor for us.”

Mercanti said there are four possible locations for the complex, but he needs assistance from the city get his preferred spot. He said a portion of the land the city owns
“We want to create a hotel downtown,” he said. “We will have to work with the city. We need council to support us.”

Mercanti conceded Carmen’s doesn’t have the $200 million to finance the project, but there have been discussions with investors about the project.
“There are a lot of people who can (raise the money),” said Mercanti.

PKF Consulting is currently preparing a feasibility study for the proposed project, and it’s expected the document could be ready in a few weeks.
Still, Mercanti didn’t guarantee to councillors July 18 during his presentation, his company will build the hotel complex. The feasibility study, they said, will help to assist their future plans.

Politicians praised Mercanti and his family for proposing such an ambitious project for the downtown.

“You are major league,” said Councillor Sam Merulla.

“This is quite exciting what is being proposed,” said Mountain councillor Terry Whitehead.

“This means a lot to council,” said Mayor Bob Bratina.

Mercanti only last year oversaw the opening of the company’s new $12.5 million, six-storey Best Western Hotel on the east Mountain.

“It is exceeding all expectations,” said Mercanti.

Carmen’s got its start in the 1970s as a small family-owned bakery onConcession Street. It soon expanded into a catering business and banquet hall.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Joey Coleman
http://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/statu.../photo/1/large

It's being proposed in the West Harbour/Downtown location. I think it is Sir John A land.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Apparently the above is one of four proposed rendering. They are looking at four sites.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 9:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
he needs assistance from the city get his preferred spot
The preferred spot has got to be the Sir John A MacDonald land. The School Board has to offer the land to other School Boards and Educational institutions first and if no offer than the City could buy the land. I'm betting Mercanti wants the City to buy the land and he'll build the complex.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Urban Fanactic

Looks good but still got a long time to wait before we see any progress on this one if it gets built at all.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The preferred spot has got to be the Sir John A MacDonald land.
Why?

Any idea what the other 3 proposed sites are?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 1:22 AM

The cynic in me says this is just Carmen's trying to tip the balance in their bid for the convention centre and that it won't pan out.

And why, pray tell, would the CFL Hall of Fame go in this proposed building? That doesn't make any sense. And that nonsense about the Canadian Music Hall of Fame too? Seriously, it feels like 2003 all over again. I like to think we're all a little more savvy than that.

The second I hear 44 storey hotel and Canadian Music Hall of Fame...I call BS.

Sorry for being a d*ck.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:24 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Height restriction?

Doesn't Hamilton have a super-cutting edge height restriction on buildings? And I'm pretty sure that 44 stories is way, way beyond it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

They aren't real height restrictions more like guidelines.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Why?

Any idea what the other 3 proposed sites are?
Why?

Cause he said the preferred site he wants he'll need help from the City. Therefore looking at that rendering it appears to be the Sir John A MacDonald land. Sir John A will close soon and therefore the School Board will sell the land. The School Board has to first offer the land to other School Boards and other Educational institutions. If no interest than the School Board has to offer the land to the City. This is where Mercanti said he'll need help from the City to get the preferred site.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

property taxes?

Peter claims they pay $650,000 a year in taxes. A quick search on the City website shows that 1520 Stone Church Road East, pays total $94,692.73 yearly.

Anyone ever wondered why 44-stories? Frisina's 100 Main East building is 43-stories.

Last edited by realcity; Oct 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 1:07 PM

I dunno. Sounds like a lot of bluster. Count me as ignorant. What is his proven track record they speak? The hotel on east mountain? Again, looking form the outside, but should the feasibility study have been done first, the financing and then an announcement?

I hope they can pull this off. It would be great for the city.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 4:59 PM

I think this sums it up nicely.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 5:10 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post

I think this sums it up nicely.
Perfect... absolutely perfect.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 5:58 PM

actually the only one out of those that will happen is Ivor Wynne and it will probably be better than what is depicted.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Carmen’s proposes ‘wow factor’ for Hamilton

Politicians praised Mercanti and his family for proposing such an ambitious project for the downtown.

“You are major league,” said Councillor Sam Merulla.

“This is quite exciting what is being proposed,” said Mountain councillor Terry Whitehead.

“This means a lot to council,” said Mayor Bob Bratina.

Mercanti only last year oversaw the opening of the company’s new $12.5 million, six-storey Best Western Hotel on the east Mountain.

“It is exceeding all expectations,” said Mercanti.

Carmen’s got its start in the 1970s as a small family-owned bakery onConcession Street. It soon expanded into a catering business and banquet hall.
Really worried about these quotes from councillors. Hope there are some professionals working on this deal somewhere behind the scenes. Otherwise we could end up with another small-town inside deal which will invariably look like the garbage Vrancor is busy populating downtown with (if the new renderings of the Homewood are any indication).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
“You are major league,” said Councillor Sam Merulla
This is why Hamilton doesn't have major league stuff.

It's very unfortunate, because it could. But not with the current people running things.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 9:01 PM

Merulla is just kissing ass

Last edited by realcity; Jul 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 9:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 10:41 PM

Also don't forget what they told us a year ago while they were in the process of telling us downtown was not feasible for a stadium: That their family had run business downtown, that it was no longer viable and if anyone should know, it was them. Now they think 1000 hotel rooms is viable?

Don't trust them. I'd trust the Acclamation folks, even the Vranichs before I'd trust these guys. At least they have skin in the downtown game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton