HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
2017 groundbreaking announced for new hotel by SERA, Mortenson

Portland's continued emergence as a travel and convention destination has spurred a hotel boom, with 3,000 rooms in the city's pipeline beginning in 2017 according to Travel Portland.

Adding 211 of those rooms, a fourth-quarter groundbreaking has been announced for a new downtown hotel adjacent to the Multnomah Whiskey Library.

Plans for the 15-floor development includes a lobby, bar and restaurant on the ground floor located at 619 S.W. 11th Ave.

The hotel brand has not been announced yet, but is expected to come out near the beginning of construction.

Portland-based SERA Architects is designing the new hotel, and Mortenson Construction and real estate is the design-build partner. Peter Andrews and Nick Ehlen of the Melvin Mark Brokerage Company, represented property owner and nonprofit United Way of the Columbia-Willamette (UWCW) in the transaction.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Mentioned this hotel to a friend in the industry today and was told it would be a Hyatt Centric. https://centric.hyatt.com/en/hyattcentric.html

Don't have any proof to confirm that at this point, but interesting to see if the Hyatt brand continues their aggressive Portland expansion.
The owner of the property is now listed on portlandmaps as "H E PORTLAND HC LLC %HYATT CORPORATION ATTN PATRICK MCCUDDEN"... so I'd guess the rumor you heard is correct.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 12:58 AM

Building permit is under review.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:49 AM

Here is a question for those who do a lot of rendering.

Is there something about the software that causes perspective views to be distorted?

When the actual building is viewed from the street, it won't have that dynamic exciting acute corner. The perspective of the rendering is wrong.

You can check by measuring the horizontal dimension of building elements on floor 2 and top floor. In the rendering they are the same, even though the top most elements are further from the viewer and thus will look smaller in real life.

A similar distortion was apparent in the renderings of the Yard.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 7:26 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

You're right. The angle of the side without windows makes no sense unless they're building a triangle (and even then, it wouldn't be right). I assume they skewed the angle in the rendering to minimize the appearance of the blank(ish) wall in order to make it look better.

I wish more people would speak out against fantasyland renderings in order to call out the firms who put out such misleading nonsense.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad this is being built. I just wish firms would stop producing intentionally unrealistic renderings.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
You're right. The angle of the side without windows makes no sense unless they're building a triangle (and even then, it wouldn't be right). I assume they skewed the angle in the rendering to minimize the appearance of the blank(ish) wall in order to make it look better.

I wish more people would speak out against fantasyland renderings in order to call out the firms who put out such misleading nonsense.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad this is being built. I just wish firms would stop producing intentionally unrealistic renderings.
It is a combination of using tricks to make something look more dynamic and it sort of a technicality found in rendering programs. Basically this is being looked at with a wide angle to capture the whole building which gives the distortion, the same can be found in Google Streetview when looking up at buildings.

example
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5229...=en&authuser=0

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:36 PM

Not a "wide angle" as a wide angle photographic lens would be, though. Standing on that corner with a wide angle photo lens would produce a completely different image. Something about the rendering software is causing the upper edge of the building facade to appear longer than the street level facade.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 11:13 PM

By convention architectural renderings (whether hand drawn or computer generated) are done in two point perspective. Architectural photography is typically perspective corrected, to avoid the look of a building falling away from the camera.

A perspective drawing of a tall building, done at street level, is going to include some distortion to keep all the vertical lines parallel. It's nothing to do with the software nor is it intended to be misleading.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:31 PM

These renderings aren't in technical manuals. They are being used for sales and PR purposes. They should be more true to life.

"When those tools are misused, the resulting visualizations can lack clarity, or worse still, they can be downright deceptive." https://architizer.com/blog/practice...ng-7-mistakes/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:39 PM

Is this render a three point perspective? Usually the third point is above the building. In this one it appears below, which looks very odd.
* Correction, maybe it is 2-point, but looks three point on such a tall building.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
These renderings aren't in technical manuals. They are being used for sales and PR purposes. They should be more true to life.

"When those tools are misused, the resulting visualizations can lack clarity, or worse still, they can be downright deceptive." https://architizer.com/blog/practice...ng-7-mistakes/
If you're curious about the conventions of architectural drawing I'd advise you to go pick up a copy of Architectural Graphics by Francis Ching. The practice of drawing buildings in 2-point perspective has been around since the Renaissance.

The distortion in the above image is entirely because it's a tall building, and the architects chose to do one image that both shows the buidling from street and shows the entire height of the building. Have a look at the renderings for 140 SW Columbia. All of the renderings are either drawn from mid-way up the building or are drawn from the ground level and cropped a few stories up. If they'd chosen to portray the entire height of the building in the renderings done from ground level you'd see the same effect.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:04 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Look at how distorted that angle is even at only the 5th floor. Even if they'd cropped it down to only show the bottom five floors, the angle makes no sense. The nearest corner looks like it's at least a 120 degree angle - again, I'm not talking about at the top. I'm talking about lower. It's still skewed wildly, presumably to make the design look bolder than it is and to artificially lessen the prominence of the blank wall.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Look at how distorted that angle is even at only the 5th floor. Even if they'd cropped it down to only show the bottom five floors, the angle makes no sense. The nearest corner looks like it's at least a 120 degree angle - again, I'm not talking about at the top. I'm talking about lower. It's still skewed wildly, presumably to make the design look bolder than it is and to artificially lessen the prominence of the blank wall.
That's what happens when your perspective is looking down a street.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:04 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
That's what happens when your perspective is looking down a street.
You just proved my point.

Compare the angles of real buildings as seen from street level to the wacky angles here.

Note that this rendering is showing a view from at least half a block away. That angle should not be falling off so steeply in both directions, almost as if it's a triangle.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:15 AM

There really isn't any great conspiracy here. In a two point perspective all the vertical lines are parallel, and the horizontal lines converge to vanishing points at the eye height of the drawing (in this case street level).

Because the eye level is so low in the image horizontal lines further up are going to be at an increasingly large angle relative to the horizon.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Feb 6, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:21 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

In reality, the two vanishing points would be further apart and there would be a third vanishing point in the sky, making the building appear much taller and the top diminishing w/ perspective.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:21 AM

Even as two point perspective, there is something wrong. The left vanishing point is far too close to the building. Look at the top of the first floor, at the corner of the building nearest the viewer. Draw a line from there to the left vanishing point. Now imagine this is only a 1 story building, so that line represents the top of the building. Do you see how ridiculous the rendering would look?

Did the architect who did this rendering have the ability to control the location of the vanishing points? Or are they automatically placed by the software?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:10 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Even as two point perspective, there is something wrong. The left vanishing point is far too close to the building. Look at the top of the first floor, at the corner of the building nearest the viewer. Draw a line from there to the left vanishing point. Now imagine this is only a 1 story building, so that line represents the top of the building. Do you see how ridiculous the rendering would look?

Did the architect who did this rendering have the ability to control the location of the vanishing points? Or are they automatically placed by the software?
Yes, you can control any aspect of the perspective. 2 point, 3 point, vanishing points, which direction you are facing, anything. Also exposure levels, sky settings, sun/date/time, lattitude etc.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:59 PM

A structural permit has been issued for the project.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 3:30 AM

I walked by today and can attest construction has begun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland