HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Burrard Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 3:15 AM

Mayfair West (Oakridge Transit Centre Redevelopment) | Proposed

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 5:53 AM

Does the buyer of the bus depot also own the strip that fronts Oak St already?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 8:49 AM

When will vancouver realize that there are enough parks. Vancouver is one of the most 'green/park' cities in the world, and we still need to build new ones? Burnaby is one giant park already. Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake, Central Park, Byrnn Creek Central Park etc. and the same goes for Vancouver (graveyards also count as park space if you ask me). I know there is a law that saws that there's a ratio for park to dwellings, but the city should just scrap it. It must make prices jump up as developers have to contribute (waste precious land) to build what there is enough of. Like Montgomery and Oak Meadow Parks are literally 2 blocks away if that's too far away for you to walk you don't deserve to go outside. Not to mention Van Dusen and Queen Elizabeth are right there too.
I'm thankful that we live in a city that isn't like Los Angeles or New York (they have beautiful parks but not enough for 9 million) with park space but for now were good.

Last edited by BobLoblawsLawBlog; Dec 26, 2016 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Anger

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 9:39 AM
perhaps . . .

Always interesting to see what ruffles the feathers.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 10:38 AM

The problem isn't so much the park as what they're doing with it... more grass, more trees. How creative. Perhaps a large pond instead?

Regardless, I like what they did with the street/building contours. Very relaxing to look at.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 5:46 PM

Given that combined with RCMP lands there's a huge opportunity to do something amazing with redevelopment. However given the the way a similar opportunity on the Cambie corridor has been botched with a parade of dreck, I'm not hopeful.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
When will vancouver realize that there are enough parks. Vancouver is one of the most 'green/park' cities in the world, and we still need to build new ones? Burnaby is one giant park already. Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake, Central Park, Byrnn Creek Central Park etc. and the same goes for Vancouver (graveyards also count as park space if you ask me). I know there is a law that saws that there's a ratio for park to dwellings, but the city should just scrap it. It must make prices jump up as developers have to contribute (waste precious land) to build what there is enough of. Like Montgomery and Oak Meadow Parks are literally 2 blocks away if that's too far away for you to walk you don't deserve to go outside. Not to mention Van Dusen and Queen Elizabeth are right there too.
I'm thankful that we live in a city that isn't like Los Angeles or New York (they have beautiful parks but not enough for 9 million) with park space but for now were good.

100% agreed. Vancouver's park obsession shows no signs of abating - we're losing a huge chunk of a site on two rapid transit corridors to yet another park, despite immediate proximity to Oak Meadows Park and Van Deusen Gardens.

Also it should be pointed out that the 1200 units is what can be achieved with two average Toronto condo towers. The central planners have failed everyone again.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 9:20 PM

I'd like to see an Upper West/East Side approach to density in this city.

What characteristics make this style of urban planning really unique is
-The shared heights
-Shared Walls
-Box shaped instead of several different rectangles stacked on top of each other
-Building, Sidewalk, Curb, Road instead of several 'green bandaids' in between the building and the road
-Impecable architecture

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The problem isn't so much the park as what they're doing with it... more grass, more trees. How creative. Perhaps a large pond instead?

Regardless, I like what they did with the street/building contours. Very relaxing to look at.
Agreed. Green space for green space often turns out blaaaah (and Toronto-ish; no offense T.O.)- although I do like Vancouver's greenness.
But fountains and exotic plantings are too infrequent in this city, and I think Vancouver could use more creativity in its green space; not just blaah open space.
*For example, despite their cold winters, Kansas City is the 'city of fountains," with more city fountains than anywhere except Rome! Couldn't Vancouver take inspiration from there?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 10:05 PM

Anyone ever been in the Il Giardino park near Renfew/Hastings? I was surprised to see how well they finished it.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 12:40 AM
David

Never thought I'd see the day that parks of all things were now a negative feature in a comprehensive mixed development like this...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 1:22 AM

I support more parks. Overall I like the looks of this project for the area.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 2:03 AM

To clarify, the complaining isn't about parks - only GELs (Generic Empty Lawns) pretending to be parks. A plaza or large water feature would work much better.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 2:42 AM

As someone born in a well planned non overpopulated central European city with ample park space, who also lived in Sao Paulo, a overpopulated unplanned city with virtually no park space.

You can never ever have too much park space. Once its gone its gone. Build up if you want. Never sacrifice public open space. Ever.

And don't get me wrong unplanned overpopulated cities with no park space are fun to visit because their chaotic shit holes and interesting. But their not fun to live in.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:41 AM

^Agree completely.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:55 AM
SkyTrain Nut

^thirded.

Greenspace is literally one of the big things Vancouver is known for and it does make the neighborhoods a lot less suburban or midtown low-rises for block upon block.

Plus as mentioned with property vales inflated as they are once you deallocate a greenspace you will NEVER find neighbors willing to convert it back.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:59 AM

Depends on one's definition of "green space."

This is a green space.

This is also a green space.

And this.

---------

It's entirely possible to have a park that's natural and urban, rather than one or the other. Simply putting up a grass field and manicured trees (the lazy way out) achieves neither, and makes the area look MORE suburban, not less - hence the suggestion of a plaza/pond/fountain centred or adjacent to said field.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:03 PM

I'm in favor of more green space, I think this park is fine.

Although if there are big spaces with grass, I'd love to see more things to encourage active play and exercise, like soccer nets, frisbee golf, whatever.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
But fountains and exotic plantings are too infrequent in this city, and I think Vancouver could use more creativity in its green space; not just blaah open space.
Quote:
To clarify, the complaining isn't about parks - only GELs (Generic Empty Lawns) pretending to be parks. A plaza or large water feature would work much better.

...and that is the crux of the problem - but has anyone here contacted the CoV about it?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 7:14 PM
SkyTrain Nut

If you want the context of "greenspace"

Basic template for parks on the east end. Few trees, grass for multi-purpose recreation space and possibly basic services like a utility shed or public bathroom or possibly soccer goalposts.
Minimal maintenance costs, doesn't require a genius to design something spectacular and accessible to anyone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver