HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:26 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
There are many out there, most of which involve using a heat pump, some which work in conjunction with solar heating. In a sense it seems a bit wasteful, as you are using a lot of energy that basically just goes to waste changing water from a solid to a liquid state, and then you have to deal with the runoff which will freeze as soon as it leaves the heated portion of your driveway.

There's lots of info on the net if you do a search for it. For me the good ol' shovel and scoop are adequate, and a good form of exercise.
Definitely far better when it is done using heated waste water... as in Golden Colorado where they use the hot water that was waste from the Coor's plant to heat the streets/sidewalks and to provide heating energy to the School of Mines.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
If only he wanted to integrate a gazebo into it he could have gotten the Harper government to pay for it from Clement's $50M infrastructure/pork-barrel fund .
Chretien gave Dartmouth infrastructure money for a 'wellness centre' so we built a bingo hall at the Dartmouth Sportsplex and the smokers showed up 5 nights a week. Too bad some of the money went into a privately owned 5th rate hockey club.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 5:00 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Only if we get a huge surface parking lot as part of the deal...
This is why the forum needs "like" buttons.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:57 PM

The big 'what if' for me would be Scotia Square. If I had a couple billion $'s, I'd like to blow it away in sections and restore parts of the old street grid and do a series of mixed use buildings with a giant parkade underground. I think you could do it in phases and then move tenants to each new building and then squeeze in some new highrise residential as well as a new hotel (or two). The site is certainly big enough! Could still have the shopping mall component, but more along the lines of the Core here in Calgary that has skywalks over the roads so the shops are built into the +15 (pedways).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The big 'what if' for me would be Scotia Square. If I had a couple billion $'s, I'd like to blow it away in sections and restore parts of the old street grid and do a series of mixed use buildings with a giant parkade underground. I think you could do it in phases and then move tenants to each new building and then squeeze in some new highrise residential as well as a new hotel (or two). The site is certainly big enough! Could still have the shopping mall component, but more along the lines of the Core here in Calgary that has skywalks over the roads so the shops are built into the +15 (pedways).
I lived in the condos in Maple Leaf Square in Toronto for a bit. A nice mix of residential, office and retail.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:08 AM

What if Halifax's largest skyscraper was shaped like a giant beer bottle? Brown glass and all, and the "cap" would be a restaurant/viewing area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues