HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 5:16 PM

New Downtown Phoenix Photo Thread

I put up a new photo thread in the main City Photos Subforum.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...83#post5766783

I thought about just putting it in the Southwest Subforum to only show those of us from Phoenix, but oh well. It's not quite as extensive as my last one, but aims to show some of the unseen parts of downtown (with a few common buildings and such thrown in).

My old one is in my sig line.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:49 PM

Not sure how closely everyone (anyone) looked at my pictures, but the main point of my photo tour, as i mentioned, was to take some pictures of interesting old buildings or houses that are less often seen (at least by me). With some pictures of more common stuff to hopefully appeal to some of the masses.

Anyway, did anyone notice the picture from the back of a building that had an old ghost sign that says "Grocery and Meat"? You might have recognized the faded painted sign of R&R Cycles (with an even older sign underneath) as being on 15th Ave/Grand/Roosevelt next to Bikini Lounge. But did you know the cool little brick building with the "Grocery and Meat" sign is the back side of the actual Bikini Lounge?

You can see the small mast of the Bikini sign on the roof in both pictures. And doing a quick google earth examination also confirmed it. When I saw that old ghost sign I thought it could be the building next to it, but not the actual Bikini Lounge itself. I guess Bikini used to be a small neighborhood grocery back in the day. I'm pretty sure the building owners are more recently trying to expose some of the old brick and stuff underneath the old building. On the side of the building (facing 15th) I noticed there is currently a small arched window that has been exposed, but on Google Streetview, it's still plastered over.

Anyway, I find things like that interesting.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 6:56 PM
E pluribus unum

That's actually pretty cool. Thanks for sharing

I've got some pics from Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa from December that I've been meaning to put up. Soon...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:58 PM

Apparently it was a grocery in the 1930s owned by the Smith family. At least, so says this guy's obituary.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azc...21#fbLoggedOut

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
Apparently it was a grocery in the 1930s owned by the Smith family. At least, so says this guy's obituary.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azc...21#fbLoggedOut
Huh, how about that, that's awesome. And RIP Ben Smith.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest