HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 4:27 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2012 in SYDNEY

I return to Sydney after a long absence, flying in style at the front of the plane.

Welcome back.

With summer approaching, I roamed around the CBD looking for a nice place to eat that would not break the bank. This was a difficult task. The Shangri-La had a top-floor bar and restaurant that could barely fit my budget. I thought this view alone was worth the expense.

The dinner was really nice as well, and the service was by far the best I've had in Sydney. It wasn't too filling, but I could always buy a cheap snack later in the evening.

Cafe Sydney at Customs House is not very high up, but because of its prominent location next to Circular Quay, it was a prime location to spot the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House together. I wasn't able to secure a spot in the outdoor terrace, but wounded up in the big, crowded pit inside. The view was decent, but the food was awful.

O Bar is a revolving restaurant located on the 47th floor of Australia Square. Despite the bad weather, I wanted to scout the view to see if it was worth coming back on a clear day. The prices were not too bad - not as pricey as the Shangri-La.

Expecting no sunset views, I focused on my steak for a little while. As the revolving restaurant made its way around at almost the 180-degree mark, the sun peeked out and it was a firery red sunset.

When the skies cleared the next day, I did return.

Pyrmont and neighbouring Ultimo were industrial areas in the past, populated by wharves, yards, woolstores, and factories. However, the area declined and was abandoned in the 1990's. Redevelopments have revived this area with new buildings and residents.

The Anzac Bridge marks the district's border.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/sydney.htm

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 3:32 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Great photos, thanks for sharing them! I had the pleasure of visiting Sydney a few months ago, I really loved it there.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:04 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Love Sydney!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:38 AM
Hong Kong

Way Terrace was built in the 1920's as workers' housing by the city. Situated on top of a gentle slope, it commands a lovely view of the skyline, Harbour Bridge, and the water.

The building fronts a small park where residents can work on their tan and enjoy this :

Many different styles of residential buildings make up this serene neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:40 PM
Hong Kong

Elizabeth Bay House was designed as the "finest house in colony" by the Colonial Secretary, Alexander Macleay. It overlooked the ocean and still remains unfinished today, as the expensive endeavour financially ruined him. Macleay's eldest son foreclosed on him in 1845.

Macleay is an entomologist, and has a big collection that started in England in the 1790's. He spent great expense in expanding his collection through auction purchases. It was so extensive that British natural scientists even paid him to access his collection.

The house has 2 large and separate cellars, which housed wines, dairy, and coal storage.

Vaucluse House was built by William Charles Wentworth.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 5:35 AM

Great pictures! I loved seeing the old industrial waterfront neighborhoods!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 12:55 PM

Sydney looks amazing. I too loved the look at the old waterfront residential area!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 1:35 PM

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 10:27 PM

Nice job. See you were in Pyrmont, did you get a chance to go to Balmain?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 6:16 AM
Meh

Nice photos. Australian cities seem very nice.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 7:03 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morn View Post
Nice job. See you were in Pyrmont, did you get a chance to go to Balmain?
I missed Balmain but made it to Rhodes instead.

Rhodes is situated on a peninsula between Brays and Homebush Bays, 14 km west of the CBD. Originally an industrial area from the 1900's to the early 1970's where hazardous chemicals were handled, the peninsula's changed through reclamation with industrial waste. Decontamination works have allowed redevelopments into residential use.

Across to the east side of the tracks, it is a different world altogether. There are no other souls in sight. This part of town has not yet been redeveloped.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 4:38 AM
Hong Kong

Susannah Place is a terrace of 4 working class homes built in 1844 by Irish immigrants. It remained continuously occupied until 1990. Today, these have been turned into a museum showcasing working class life over the past hundred years.

Each room is furnished to depict life during a particular era.

For more : http://www.globalphotos.org/syd-historic.htm

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 3:37 PM

Great pictures that give interesting insights

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 1:10 PM
Hong Kong

These huge buildings were once woolstores. Some 20 such multi-storey warehouses were built in Ultimo and Pyrmont as part of the wool export industry. Some have found new uses, such as residential.

Anzac Bridge opened in 1995 and is Australia's longest cable-stayed bridge. The main deck spans 805m and connects the western suburbs with the CBD. It is possible to walk the bridge. Below is the pedestrian approach, which winds its way up over itself in such a limited space.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 5:40 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:10 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 10:57 PM
Illustrator, editor

Amazing looks amazing, sunny, modern and beautiful!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 1:00 PM
Hong Kong

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos