HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:03 PM

FQ Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
You guessed FQ correctly. It's for the hotel at 817-19 Chartres St.
There was never a hotel there to my knowledge...unless it was a super small boutique that I never noticed but I walk past there all the time.

I figured all of that was apartments above Trashy Diva, the bookstore, etc.

?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:10 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
My guess is that only roadgeeks would care and that the best thing to do is sign the remaining western half as any other odd numbered 3 digit prefix of 10 after the claiborne is removed and I-610 becomes mainline I-10.

There are other rule breakers, like a I-238(no 38) in California, an I-99(99 should be saved for any future route in Norfolk or in the eastern Carolinas) in central Penn, and I-278 in NYC doesn't connect to any other interstates.
I agree with this. BTW, the 99 in Cali is a state highway.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:23 PM
-

Link to the The Saint Hotel website

http://thesainthotelneworleans.com/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 6:22 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
510 is to the east of what is officially 910 right now (ccc, wb expwy) which goes against standard. Just thinking out loud. Has anybody heard anything re the progress on this idea?
Prefix numbers don't have the increasing from west-to-east, south-to-north structure. That only applies to the main 2-digit interstate designations.

The only rule for prefixes is that an odd number is a spur while an even number is a bypass/loop route, but even this rule is ignored frequently. Typically, AASHTO tries to push new auxiliary interstates to use unique numbers that aren't used anywhere else in the US, but on long interstates that pass through multiple cities, it's usually impossible to avoid some duplication.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Prefix numbers don't have the increasing from west-to-east, south-to-north structure. That only applies to the main 2-digit interstate designations.

The only rule for prefixes is that an odd number is a spur while an even number is a bypass/loop route, but even this rule is ignored frequently. Typically, AASHTO tries to push new auxiliary interstates to use unique numbers that aren't used anywhere else in the US, but on long interstates that pass through multiple cities, it's usually impossible to avoid some duplication.
Are you sure? I know there may be exceptions but I'm pretty sure they like to keep it standardized... 410 and 610 in texas, 210 and 610 in Louisiana, 110, 310 and 510 in Louisiana. Maybe it's changed but I'm fairly certain the original guidlines called for west-east ascending. Then again, they also stipulated a minimum width of six lanes, and there are two or three segments that are only two total. I'm a bit of a roadgeek myself if you couldn't tell, originally planned to go civil e. because I wanted to work on roads (and water projects, naturally).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Are you sure? I know there may be exceptions but I'm pretty sure they like to keep it standardized... 410 and 610 in texas, 210 and 610 in Louisiana, 110, 310 and 510 in Louisiana. Maybe it's changed but I'm fairly certain the original guidlines called for west-east ascending. Then again, they also stipulated a minimum width of six lanes, and there are two or three segments that are only two total. I'm a bit of a roadgeek myself if you couldn't tell, originally planned to go civil e. because I wanted to work on roads (and water projects, naturally).
Ardecila is right. 3-digits can go in any order as long as the even groups are bypasses and the odd groups are spurs. It's always been that way. The Westbank Expressway is actually I-910, LaDOTD just never put signs up because they're going to be changing the number eventually. Notice that it falls smack in the middle of 310 and 510. Anything else is coincidental.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 3:25 PM

Borders on St. Charles

The former Borders is currently being renovated. Should find out who the tenant will be soon.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
The former Borders is currently being renovated. Should find out who the tenant will be soon.
It's going to be a Fresh Market. I heard from my friend who is a city planner.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 5:37 PM
TL;DR

^^ Awesome! Fresh Market has the best breads and meats. I look forward to the opening!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 7:18 PM

Not positive, but I think 1031 Canal is on the City Planning Commission agenda today.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 7:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Not positive, but I think 1031 Canal is on the City Planning Commission agenda today.
It is on it today!

It doesnt go through the public comment part. Its just a yes or no on the heightwaiver etc. However, it has the backing of a city council motion to. Maybe this will finally be over!Lets Hope so!

Saw Michael Kors has pulled a permit to build something in Canal Place!

Also a permit was pulled for 521 St Joseph Street.

Project Description:
CONVERT VACANT COMMERCIAL BUILDING INTO A MIX USE BUILDING(1-COMMERCIAL UNIT ON 1ST FLOOR & 3-RESIDENTIAL UNITS ON 2ND & 3RD FLOOR) AND CONSTRUCT A 2-STORY ADDITION AS PER PLANS AND HDLC C/A #HDLCP-11-0999. NO USE AND OCCUPANCY OF THE FIRST FLOOR VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE.

And another on the corner of Julia/St Charles

Project Description:
Interior renovations of existing 36,696 sq. ft. 4-story building(s) into 21 residential units and 7 commercial units as per plans. Exterior renovations under 10COM-00392. Addresses: Commercial spaces - 634, 638, 640, 642 Julia St. and 802, 806, 810 St. Charles Ave.; Residential units - 636 Julia St, 800 St. Charles Ave (units 201 - 208, 301 - 308, 401 - 404).

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
It is on it today!

It doesnt go through the public comment part. Its just a yes or no on the heightwaiver etc. However, it has the backing of a city council motion to. Maybe this will finally be over!Lets Hope so!
I sure hope so...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 10:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by victortulane View Post
It's going to be a Fresh Market. I heard from my friend who is a city planner.
Demolition Permit for Building
3338 ST CHARLES AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
Contractor:
T J WILLIS
T.J. WILLIS CONSTRUCTION
16710 CHEF MENTEUR HWY

Project Description:
INTERIOR DEMOLITION TO VACANT BOOKSTORE. NO USE AND OCCUPANCY UNDER THIS PERMIT. PLANS TO FOLLOW.
Owner:
STIRLING FORTERRA L.L.C.
615 BARONNE ST
SUITE #100
BLAINE WA 70113
More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$45,000.00

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
It is on it today!

This just in: the City Planning Commission approved 1031 Canal to a height of 190'. So the current design will have to lose the penthouse, but for the most part the height waiver is approved!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 10:39 PM
-

Do you mean the mechanical penthouse?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:31 AM

Remember a few weeks ago we were talking about development along Bayou St. John, well a prime parcel of real estate is being transferred from one bad city agency to a worse one. 6 acres across from Pan Am Stadium will become a Juvenile Detention Center - hardly worthy of that lot. I would have much preferred another Apartments at City Park development. Where are the neighborhood associations on this?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...new_orlea.html

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:09 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Remember a few weeks ago we were talking about development along Bayou St. John, well a prime parcel of real estate is being transferred from one bad city agency to a worse one. 6 acres across from Pan Am Stadium will become a Juvenile Detention Center - hardly worthy of that lot. I would have much preferred another Apartments at City Park development. Where are the neighborhood associations on this?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...new_orlea.html
I agree with you that facilities like that should not be built on prime land but on undesirable land since the prime land could be sold and help raise money for the city. For example the new coroner office will be built by the interchange by the Superdome. I think its a good idea since the land its being built on wouldnt function well for any private business. What neighborhood would this fall under btw? Fairgrounds?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:33 AM

Quote:
I agree with you that facilities like that should not be built on prime land but on undesirable land since the prime land could be sold and help raise money for the city. For example the new coroner office will be built by the interchange by the Superdome. I think its a good idea since the land its being built on wouldnt function well for any private business. What neighborhood would this fall under btw? Fairgrounds?
Technically the lot falls under the "St. Bernard" neighborhood. Directly across the street is the Fairgrounds neighborhood. It's definitely inside the "Faubourg St. John" neighborhood association's jurisdiction too.

Last edited by Blitzen; Aug 24, 2011 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:52 AM

Riverfront Expressway

Here is a blast from the past I thought everyone would enjoy. These are pictures of a scale model of what the FQ would look like if the Riverfront Expressway had occurred. So before we get down too much on NOLA, remember we did something right once.

http://lunaweb.giza.tulane.edu/luna/...&search=Search

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:58 AM
TL;DR

^^ That's actually the end-result of an urban-design studio taught in the early 70s. The goal was to create development around the expressway to turn the highway into an asset instead of a blight.

If they had built the expressway in conjunction with the development shown in the model, with the expressway partially underground, I think the result would have been great for the city.

Three rail tracks, the expressway, and a significant amount of parking would have been completely buried beneath new apartments, restaurants, and shops. No historic buildings would have been torn down, apart from the sugar mills and warehouses along the river - which were all lost anyway to demolition or arson. The parking lots that currently blight the area would be all hidden away below-grade. Most importantly, there would be no artificial barriers between the city and the river - no floodwalls, fences, or tracks, just a series of plazas and staircases/ramps linking Decatur to the riverwalk.

You can quibble with the Brutalist architecture that's hinted at in the model (it was the 70s, after all) but the basic idea is genius.

The architecture might even have turned out nicely. Paul Rudolph designed a similar complex of apartments as graduate housing for Yale:

source

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations