HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:56 PM

How long do you think it'll take until Downtown Los Angeles is "solid"?

What I mean by that is no more gaps in development, shoddy areas, or huge parking lots interrupting the walking experience. Do you think in the next 10 years we'll see DTLA something more like Downtown SF, with consistent development and vibrance? Or do you think it'll always be a somewhat so-so area?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

DTLA reminds me of downtown Houston. Lot's of potential and late to the party but showing signs of development. I was in LA and in downtown over the weekend and there was all kinds of construction.

Last edited by JManc; Jun 7, 2018 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
DTLA reminds me of downtown Houston. Lot's of potential and late to the party but showing signs of development. I was in LA and in downtown over the weekend and there was all kinds of construction.
You just commited a mortal sin. You can't compare LA to Houston in any way. Here comes the LA posters.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:22 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
You just commited a mortal sin. You can't compare LA to Houston in any way. Here comes the LA posters.
Houston has better tacos. Ok...now I shall take my leave.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Even as a Houston person I've got to disagree. There's no better place for authentic Mexican food than LA.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 9:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Even as a Houston person I've got to disagree. There's no better place for authentic Mexican food than LA.
No regular ole taco. Not TexMex with all that bowel clogging cheese. Plus, I was just throwing shade on LA anyway..

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You can get the entire southwest at each others throats over who has the best Mexican food.

From LA to El Paso, just don't bring it up if you don't want endless posts of people claiming everyone is wrong but their own tastes haha

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:11 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Quote:
I triple dog dare you to say that to Negan/Lucille's face!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Eh, I think most people wouldn't agree with it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:55 PM

its Californian it wont take that long ha

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 6:26 PM

I think LA's downtown is solid now compared to like 20 years ago.

All of the "newer" sunbelt cities suffer from the time they were built in this regard, Phoenix, Vegas, Dallas, Houston and they are all just getting their downtowns "fixed" because tastes and culture has changed about living in an urban environment.

LA Benefits because it has such a massive population, all of southern California is anchored by LA and that's like 22 million people.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 6:38 PM
Paramoderator

DTLA has 80k residents now. We solid.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:12 PM

It's somewhat solid due to the rapidly growing population. The Historic Core/Arts District/Little Tokyo/Chinatown areas give it upleg up than many other growing downtowns.

It's still a work in progress though. South Park alone has numerous 50-60 story proposals.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
DTLA has 80k residents now. We solid.
That's not bad! I live in Denver now, where 80K is the downtown estimate. And it's full of activity.

I remember back in the early 90s when I was 20, driving around DTLA on a Saturday night and it the only activity was blowing trash and the occasional homeless person. It even seemed kind of dark. But many western cities (Denver too) were like that 25 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
That's not bad! I live in Denver now, where 80K is the downtown estimate. And it's full of activity.

I remember back in the early 90s when I was 20, driving around DTLA on a Saturday night and it the only activity was blowing trash and the occasional homeless person. It even seemed kind of dark. But many western cities (Denver too) were like that 25 years ago.
Blowing trash is cool. It’s the modern equivalent of rolling tumbleweed, and highly cinematic; totally called for.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post

By 2040, DTLA population is expected to triple to 200K. Insane. At some point soon, we’ll still be on this forum and we won’t be talking about DTLA needing to attract population anymore. It’ll be its own mid-sized city, and an unavoidable portion of an LA visit.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:22 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

The historic core seems pretty solid to me - it's always had great bones, and the new construction is certainly helping. But the megablock CBD is still pretty bleak and hostile, and until the freeways are buried it'll never be a seamlessly integrated part of the urban fabric the way San Francisco's downtown is.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The historic core seems pretty solid to me - it's always had great bones, and the new construction is certainly helping. But the megablock CBD is still pretty bleak and hostile, and until the freeways are buried it'll never be a seamlessly integrated part of the urban fabric the way San Francisco's downtown is.
Eh, but several blocks of dead office buildings happens everywhere, even in Manhattan there are areas that turn into ghost towns (relatively speaking) after like 7pm

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Eh, but several blocks of dead office buildings happens everywhere, even in Manhattan there are areas that turn into ghost towns (relatively speaking) after like 7pm
South Park and the Historic core has a mixed use of hotels, offices and resdiences though.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:59 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Office ghost towns are one thing (and everyone's got em), but I'm talking about this stuff which, between the block-sized buildings, parking podiums, and poor street interaction is also a hostile urban form on top of that: https://goo.gl/maps/fePUTQu1RoA2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions