HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:52 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

How is Arcadia Creek controlled? Is it just that the banks are so high, or is it seperated from the Kalamazoo River in some other way?

Lansing got pummeled, too. Fortunately, the major commerical areas of the city sit above the floodplain, but there are certainly parts of these areas still in it. Another half a foot or so and we'd have had extensive damage downtown. From the MSP.

Downtown

Old Town

REO Town

The worst is always on the eastside, though.

Michigan State University

Still tons of damage, and a lot of evacuations on the eastside.

Anyway, really excited to hear about the development across from Arcadia Creek Festival Place. It sounds like it's really going to interact with the street, well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:01 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
How is Arcadia Creek controlled? Is it just that the banks are so high, or is it separated from the Kalamazoo River in some other way?
There has been a series of recent projects to stabilize the banks and increase the capacity of the creek west of downtown, along the railroad tracks and near WMU, where much of the stormwater load comes from. New wetlands and runoff areas have also been constructed to allow greater drainage before the water gets downtown. As it moves through downtown, it is primarily controlled by the high concrete walls and a massive culverts through Arcadia Commons that can accommodate a high volume of water movement. Once it hits the Kalamazoo River, east of downtown, there is a grade change to stop the River from back flowing into the Creek, but I'm not sure how much. When not in flood stage, the water in the creek is usually 1 ft or less. It's definitely higher right now, but seems stable.

Quote:
Lansing got pummeled, too. Fortunately, the major commerical areas of the city sit above the floodplain, but there are certainly parts of these areas still in it. Another half a foot or so and we'd have had extensive damage downtown. From the MSP.
Yeah it looks like Lansing got it pretty bad, combined effects of Grand River and Red Cedar spilling their banks. You may have already seen these photos on MLive, of folks Kayaking around MSU - pretty wild -

Must be at least 3 - 4 feet of water in that ballfield. South of here, Three Rivers got hit hard too - aerial from Thursday -

Source: NVHUSC Photography / Facebook

Grand River in Grand Rapids peaked yesterday - denizens there were largely spared worse damage by just a few inches, like Lansing. Flooding looks like it will not be quite as bad as 2013 was there -

Source: MLive

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:19 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Anyway, really excited to hear about the development across from Arcadia Creek Festival Place. It sounds like it's really going to interact with the street, well.
Agreed! I've been hoping for some news of something big here. There were some conceptual renders a few years ago, back when it was a different developer considering the same site. At that point, it was only a 3-4 story option. I also think that the nearby site at the corner of E Michigan Ave. and N Edwards St. (former Wendy's, former-former American House / Park-American / Harris Hotel site) is just begging to have a 7-8 story mixed-use structure. We will see...It sounds like the city is completely on board, along with DKI, so hopefully this doesn't hit too much opposition, although I am already hearing the usual NIMBY complaints - this will eliminate parking, this will kill the festival place, this will create a 'canyon effect'...but these concerns are not well-grounded in reality -
  • As proposed, it will actually provide a net parking increase, and I think there's a strong chance that given the land deal with the city, some of the parking provided in the building will be publically available to offset the loss of surface lots. There is also a 'plethora' of under-utilized decks within a few blocks' walking distance too, operating at 30% or less capacity.

• Festival Place has been on a downhill plunge with organized festivals leaving left and right for more affordable venues for years now. Bringing more residents and businesses directly adjacent will better activate the large commons area.

• The canyon effect comment made me laugh - seriously? A canyon effect? In Kzoo? we're talking an 80 to 90 ft tall building max., with a 40' R.O.W. with another 10' - 20' buffer for sidewalks etc. between it and the actual park. More than 50% of the festival place will still be surrounding by surface parking, including the south edge.

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:58 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
As it moves through downtown, it is primarily controlled by the high concrete walls and a massive culverts through Arcadia Commons that can accommodate a high volume of water movement. Once it hits the Kalamazoo River, east of downtown, there is a grade change to stop the River from back flowing into the Creek, but I'm not sure how much.
Well that explains it. I wasn't aware the grade was so much higher through downtown that at its discharge into the Kalamazoo River. Because if it weren't, it being so channelized through downtown would be perfect for shooting that water back west and flooding the area west of downtown and downtown itself.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:17 PM
somewhere in-between

The record high for flood levels was set on Friday, and again on Saturday, as the river continued to rise through Saturday night / early Sunday morning, finally peaking at 11.69 feet around 1:30am today. This is about a 7" increase over the previous record amount of 10.94 feet, set in 1947. Waters are slowly receding now, but major flood stage is expected through at least Monday morning. MDOT has E Michigan Avenue, King's Highway, and parts of Riverview Drive all closed, along with many local streets. Parts of the city look to have 4 feet or more of water. Photos / video from Saturday -

Video Link

Amtrak still running over the E. Michigan Ave. Viaduct -

Fully submerged vehicle near the viaduct -

View towards Mills Street, from E. Michigan Ave -

Near Veteran's Park -

Bike path under E. Michigan Ave. near Veteran's Park -

Here are the observations and predictions for the river levels, as tracked by USGS -

Source: MLive / USGS

Road Closures due to flooding, as of today (Sunday) -

Source: Google Maps

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:50 PM
somewhere in-between

The Exchange, 2/27/18 -

Bonus - 216-220 Michigan Ave, seen from same vantage point -

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
There is extensive flooding throughout Michigan due to heavy rainfall and excessive snow melt. The Kalamazoo River is officially the highest it has ever been as of this morning and still rising, causing all sorts of havoc on roadways and damage to homes and businesses. Lots of stalled vehicles, crashes, and emergency rescues as motorists don't know how to handle the rising water levels. The Morrow Dam was opened today to try and relieve some of the swelling and flooding on the city's east side. But this has exacerbated flooding further downriver in Kalamazoo Township. Many more photos on MLive and other local sources -

Map of current road closures and flood plain area (as of Friday, 2/23 evening) -

Source: Google Maps

Kalamazoo's East Side on Thursday - Aerial Drone View -

Source: NVHUSC Photography / Facebook

M-43 Bridge -
Wow that's no joke. We're pretty lucky here in Michigan in the fact that we have relatively short rivers by North American standards at least so we don't have to worry about more water from out of the area coming in and exacerbating the problem.

Not to mention we only very rarely get large rain events and inch or two of rain here is a big deal while near the Atlantic or down south and even in the plains during spring time they all can rainfall totals that sound more like snowfall totals to us.

But as the climate changes being in the business of trying to forecast the weather is going to become an increasingly tricky business with increasing abnormalities becoming the norm.

Quote:
How is Arcadia Creek controlled? Is it just that the banks are so high, or is it seperated from the Kalamazoo River in some other way?

Downtown

Old Town

Michigan State University

Still tons of damage, and a lot of evacuations on the eastside.

My lil sister was there for the 2013 flood she wasn't affected but I do remember her talking about it must have been wild if it's worse than this one.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 4:24 PM
somewhere in-between

The upcoming City Commission meeting on Monday, 3/5 will be interesting. On the agenda is a recommendation from City Manager Jim Ritsema to remove the historic Fountain of the Pioneers in Bronson Park. The fountain, designed by modernist sculptor Alfonso Ianelli in 1940, depicts a Native American facing east and a white settler facing west and standing taller than the Native American. It was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the city's own Historic Preservation Commission has been trying to raise nearly $3 million for a restoration (and they were about 3/4 of the way there).

The fountain is appreciated by some for its artistic qualities, but condemned by others for promoting racist ideology and the supremacy of the white race. In Kalamazoo, it has become a local symbol of the larger struggles for race equality that have been seen across the country. From the City Manager's report:

Quote:
...Bronson Park is often referred to as Kalamazoo’s front porch. Our front porch must be a place where everyone feels welcome, comfortable, and included...We believe this recommendation closely aligns with our Shared Prosperity efforts as well as our community’s aspirations of racial healing and equity. This proposal also underscores Kalamazoo’s commitment to a positive future for everyone...
It is expected that the Commission will accept the recommendation fro the City Manager, clearing the way for the fountain to be removed after years of debate. If this happens, the 'best-case' scenario is that the artistically significant portions would then be put in storage until a more suitable location could be found for it, and the void left by the excised sculpture would be re-programmed for other uses.

My own personal opinion is that it should stay, but my expectation is that it will go. I understand how it can be perceived as interpreted as derisive of Native Americans (and more broadly, non-white races in general) but I think the point of the sculpture is to depict an ugly (but) true part of American history that should not be hidden or forgotten. There has been talk of moving it to a museum, but the KIA and Kalamazoo Valley Museum have both indicated that they do not have the proper space for it. I suspect that if it comes down, we will never see it re-erected, at least in its full form.

I think the bigger crime here is the estimated costs that the City has received to do something with it, as reported recently on MLive -
  • Option 1 - Complete Removal and Reinstallation - about $2 million to dismantle and reinstall the fountain at a new site, according to a city staff report.
  • Option 2 - Partial Removal & Partial Restoration - About $70,000 to $100,000 to dismantle just the offending part of the fountain, and then another $1.25 million to repair the fountain base.
  • Option 3 - The 'cheapest option' - Full Demolition, no reinstallation - $75,000 to $100,000.
I've worked on a job where we demolished a 30,000 SF structure with heavily-reinforced 24" thick concrete walls for less than the 'cheap' option. It was not a historic sculpture, but it was an architecturally significant, mid-century building designed to withstand a nuclear holocaust. I think someone is taking advantage of the current racial tensions to rob the city blind of its public funds. If the vote to remove it happens Monday, I suspect many of those that donated to the HPC for restoration will demand that they get their money back.

My own photos from June 2017 -

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:28 AM
somewhere in-between

Follow up to my previous post here -

In an over 5-hour long, emotionally-charged meeting that started at 8:00pm yesterday and ended after 1:00am this morning, the City Commission voted 5-1 in favor of removing the controversial Fountain of the Pioneers from Bronson Park. It took 5 hours to get through all of the public comments, with some for, and some against its removal. There were peaceful protesters and demonstrators in the lobby and on the outside steps of city hall. You can read more about it and view some photos here -

Quote:
Kalamazoo votes to remove controversial Bronson Park fountain
Malachi Barrett | MLive
March 06, 2018

KALAMAZOO, MI -- The Fountain of the Pioneers is leaving Bronson Park after 78 years. Early Tuesday morning, the Kalamazoo City Commission voted 5-1 to relocate the Fountain of the Pioneers from its most-prized park and develop a plan for putting something new in its place. It was the culmination of recent activism -- though public debate has persisted since the monument was established -- climaxing with five hours of comments from indigenous people, residents and historians...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:28 AM
somewhere in-between

Some news today on the Vicksburg Mill project -

Quote:
Ambitious redevelopment seeks $1.35M to clean up shuttered mill
Malachi Barrett | MLive
March 7, 2018

KALAMAZOO, MI -- Local officials are hopeful that Michigan Department of Environmental Quality funds will help clean up a blighted site primed for an ambitious redevelopment project. Tuesday, the county Board of Commissioners authorized its Brownfield Redevelopment Authority to apply for a $1.25 million DEQ loan and $100,000 grant to mitigate contamination of a former Vicksburg paper mill. Paper City Development LLC. plans redevelop the long-vacant mill complex into an $50 million brewery and mixed-use space...
- There are a lot of complicated moving parts and many players involved with this proposal, and I'm not surprised to read that it could easily be 4-5 years before we actually see things at a stage where portions of the development are actually up and running for the public.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:17 AM
somewhere in-between

After an 8-month or so delay, "The Stamped Robin" has opened downtown. This was first mentioned here in June of 2017, post #77. The part of the article that describes the origin of the name is interesting -

Quote:
Stamped Robin wine, cocktail lounge opens in downtown Kalamazoo
Al Jones | MLive
March 2, 2018

KALAMAZOO, MI - The Stamped Robin wine and cocktail lounge has opened in downtown Kalamazoo. The business had a "soft" opening at 128 S. Portage St. on Feb. 16 as owners Emily Deering and Matt Caruso worked with their staff of eight to get their operation up and going. The bar opened in earnest at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 20...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:26 AM
somewhere in-between

Some random observations from driving around town today -

1. The Hooters in Portage has closed!

No word on what may take its place yet, but it apparently shut its doors end of February. Honestly, I'm surprised it lasted this long. It seems like the company's days are numbered, with the number of US locations dropping greater than 7% between 2012 and 2016. I never went there, and don't know a single other person that did either. This closure follows the recent closing of Panchero's, located nearby on S. Westnedge Ave.

2. Crossroads Mall appears do be doing well, but it's also a bit of a mess -

I've been to Crossroads Mall maybe three times in the nearly three years that I've lived here. That third time was today, when I had occasion to go clothes shopping (which has also probably only happened about 3 times in my life). I will say that as far as conventional, interior-oriented suburban malls go, this one seems to be doing well. It has a near-100% vacancy rate, a decent number of shoppers for mid-day work week, signs of new stores opening this Spring / Summer, and still four anchor tenants (Macy's, Sear's, JC Penny's, and Burlington Coat Factory). That said, the anchor stores feel disheveled and a bit of a mess, with a lot of merchandise strewn about the floor and unorganized on the racks.

3. There's a new coffee shop downtown Kalamazoo -

Located at the Corner of Rose St. and Kalamazoo Ave, across from the Amtrak Station. It must have had a very quiet opening, because I didn't hear about it. I didn't even catch the name of it as I drove past and still can't find anything online about it. Update: it is called Civil House Coffee Co. MLive did a story on it on March 16, 2018.

4. Lunch at 600 Kitchen & Bar in The Foundry -

Millennium Restaurant Group's newest endeavor, 600 Kitchen & Bar, opened a little while ago and we checked it out today for lunch. The food is good, the atmosphere is great. I like what they did with the place. Hopefully it will serve some small role in connecting Kalamazoo's east side to the downtown better, because there's currently an urban desert of roads, train tracks, and industrial uses between downtown and here that makes for a short but unpleasant walk. Preliminary site work for Phase 2 of The Foundry project has been underway for a while now.

As an aside, I stumbled upon these '10 Commandments of Westnedge Avenue' which are quite funny (and very true). If there are any other locals out there reading this, you may agree -

Quote:
1. Thou shalt not try to turn left onto Westnedge unless one is at a light.

2. Westnedge has a hill. Thou shalt enjoy the view, but only briefly, heading north.

3. The Milham intersection is ideal for texting whalst thou waits for the light.

4. Thoust will never see a pedestrian on the Pedestrian Bridge.

5. If thou goes fast enough crossing Westnedge on Romence going west, thou hast a good chance of getting air born...I hear.

6. Thou must go slow out of the Toys R Us parking lot or possibly lose one's back bumper.

7. If thou misses the turn you'll end up on Shaver Road.

8. Thou shalt never try to get over to the farthest lane from where you are.

9. Thou shalt know the speed limit changes or suffer the wrath of road rage.

10. The Psychic Of Michigan doesn't know you're coming.
Source: K102.5

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 6:46 PM
somewhere in-between

Lots of activity on The Exchange site today, with a large concrete pour happening. This will be the fifth level of the building (parking deck). There is also cold-form steel framing going in on the ground floor. Some photos -

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Lots of activity on The Exchange site today, with a large concrete pour happening. This will be the fifth level of the building (parking deck). There is also cold-form steel framing going in on the ground floor. Some photos -

I'm having fun imagining what this corner is going to look like with The Exchange completed, K-zoo keeps "growing up" so to speak and I like it.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:17 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
I'm having fun imagining what this corner is going to look like with The Exchange completed, K-zoo keeps "growing up" so to speak and I like it.
Kalamazoo is a town that sometimes feels larger than it is, and other times feels a little too small. This project will do a lot to make it feel bigger. The intersection of Michigan Avenue and Rose Street is already the busiest pedestrian area of the city. Completion of The Exchange will make it even more active. It will be interesting to find out what eventually happens with the Courthouse across the street, if / when the new one gets built on Arcadia Commons West.

Regardless of opinion about the Architectural merits of the building, it can certainly be regarded as the most ambitious undertaking in the city right now. I think it is symbolic of this decade, Kind of like Kalamazoo Center (now the Radisson) project is for the 1970s, or the American Bank and Trust (now 5/3 Bank Tower) is for the 1920s, or even the Kalamazoo Building for the 19-oughts. And all three of those are within one block of each other (2 of the 3 can be seen in the above photo).

I really hope Kalamazoo can continue the process of growing its compressed downtown in all directions. There is so much potential for densification, through quality infill projects. A good example is the surface lot at Edwards and Michigan Ave. I hope someone with some ambition can make something positive come to fruition here, maybe something in the 6 - 10 story range.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:32 PM
somewhere in-between

I just realized that this little thread turned a year old on March 12! Thanks to everyone who has stopped by to read or contribute in the past year, even if just in a small way. 86,000 views, not too shabby for a town this small. Here's to year #2, and hopefully many more exciting developments in our small corner of the world -

Source: Postycards

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:24 PM
somewhere in-between

Well...damn! How about this for an announcement to kick off the Spring?

Quote:
Pfizer announces Portage expansion plan; seeks tax exemption
Nicki Zizaza | WWMT
March 27, 2018

PORTAGE, Mich. — A newly announced plan to expand one of West Michigan's largest employers could bring hundreds of jobs to Portage if is approved...At the Portage City Council meeting on Tuesday...Portage Mayor Patricia Randall announced an upcoming Pfizer expansion to its facility on Portage Road...

...Portage City Manager Larry Shaffer agrees saying the massive project will be the largest building project ever in Portage. Shaffer said, "Pfizer intends on expanding their footprint, they’re going to construct an additional 400 thousand square feet of manufacturing and they are going to employ an additional 140 employees...They are going to invest approximately $465 million into our community..."
Things are preliminary, and obviously some huge tax abatements are going to be under consideration. But if approvals for the pharmaceutical behemoth go according to plan (my guess is that they will) construction could begin this year and go on for the next 3 years.

Quote:
...Randall said, "Pfizer is filing for a 12-year tax abatement and its part of a statewide program, with the state. It has not approved it yet. So, we're doing this a little bit early..."
The new facility would be at the corner of Portage and Romence Roads, due west of the recently completed cold storage warehouse expansion.

Edit: Another article, this one from MLive, about Pfizer's announcement. The MLive article says 140 new jobs initially (within 2 years) but 450 within 6 years. At an average salary of $90,000 +.

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 29, 2018 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:21 AM
somewhere in-between

Only one developer put forth a proposal in response to Kalamazoo's RFQ issued last fall for its former fire station at 116 W Cedar St. (see Post #128 for more). The developer, Portage-based Hollander Development Corporation, submitted a preliminary concept to the city that involves demolishing the current structure and constructing a 6-story mixed use building with ground floor retail, second floor commercial office space (possible fitness or rehab function), and 40 - 50 affordable housing units on floors 3 through 6. There would be a partially-covered parking area, and a rooftop deck for residents. The concept currently has a $10.5 million estimate.

Private development of this area has long been sought by the city, which wants to create a stronger gateway to the Kalamazoo Mall from Southtown and the Vine Neighborhoods, and which also wants to see these lots returned to the tax payroll. This is all quite preliminary, and the developer has until the end of April to determine if it actually wants to make a serious offer on the property (two lots in total). They have partnered up with Byce & Associates for at least the conceptual work. If it goes forward, tax credits would be sought through the Michigan State Housing Development Authority and HUD.

Quote:
Developer proposes razing downtown fire station for $10.5M project
Malachi Barrett | MLive
March 26, 2018

KALAMAZOO, MI -- A Portage developer is planning to demolish a 60-year-old public safety training facility for office space and affordable housing. Hollander Development Corporation was the only respondent when the city of Kalamazoo opened a process to screen developers interested in rehabilitating Fire Station No. 1 at 116 W. Cedar St. and Lot 19 at 440 S. Burdick St. According to a letter of understanding signed by both parties, Hollander has the exclusive right to consider buying the properties until April 30...
Concept Rendering:

South Elevation:

West Elevation:

Building Section:

Site Plan:

First Floor Plan:

Second Floor Plan:

Third Floor Plan:

Roof Plan:

Source: MLive | Courtesy Hollander Development Corp. / Byce & Associates Inc.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:52 PM
somewhere in-between

Preliminary renderings are out for Catalyst Development's planned 7-story, mixed-use, downtown building. This will be located at the Southwest corner of North Edwards and Water Streets (currently a city-owned surface lot). All signs point to this one moving forward quickly. Love the density. Not crazy about the design yet.

Quote:
Catalyst Development plans 7-story, mixed-use building in downtown Kalamazoo
Nick Manes | MiBiz
April 13, 2018

KALAMAZOO — Developers are planning a multi-story, mixed-use development in downtown Kalamazoo that could begin to take shape this summer. Catalyst Development Co. LLC plans to break ground in July on a proposed $70 million, seven-story project at the southwest corner of North Edwards Street and Water Street on what’s currently a city-owned parking lot, according to a statement released yesterday. Plans for the 290,000-square-foot development call for two floors of residential housing, four floors of Class A office space and more than 300 parking spaces within a multi-level parking deck.

A number of notable tenants already have committed to taking office space in the planned development. They include law firm Warner Norcross & Judd LLP and economic development organization Southwest Michigan First, as well as The Kalamazoo Promise and The Kalamazoo Promise Institute, a new think tank the organization plans to create. Kalamazoo-based architecture firm TowerPinkster is designing the building while CSM Group Inc. will manage construction...
Edit: MLive's article on this also contains a small tidbit about plans for two other city-owned parking lots -

Quote:
July groundbreaking expected for $70M mixed-use building in Kalamazoo
Malachi Barrett | MLive
April 13, 2018

KALAMAZOO, MI -- Kalamazoo officials are still working on a deal to sell a downtown parking lot to Catalyst Development Co., LLC, but the company expects to break ground on a $70 million, seven-story mixed-use building in July....Another plan to sell Lot 2, at the corner of Lovell and Rose Streets, to AVB Inc. and Hinman Co. is also in the works. No plans exist yet, but Kisscorni said Lot 1 across the street from Wild Bull Saloon is being considered for future development...

Source: MLive | Courtesy Catalyst Development / Tower Pinkster

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 14, 2018 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:24 PM
somewhere in-between

A few more renderings of the planned development mentioned in the previous post. These are screenshots taken from a WWMT News Channel 3 story on the subject.

Source: WWMT | Courtesy Catalyst Development / Tower Pinkster

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations