HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:51 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
My argument has always been that the similarities between the two places are superficial, not that there aren't any similarities of any kind whatsoever. Beaches, Latinos, and warm weather are comparisons that run skin-deep. It's not unlike someone calling Chicago a "smaller, cleaner version of NYC" because of tall buildings, cold weather, and a legacy of European immigrants.

I'm just pointing out what I see. It's not about trying to avoid associations with other Sun Belt metropoli.

I understand now, Sorry about not catching that. Yeah, the similarities are superficial but still interesting to me.

Quote:
I agree with your first point, but disagree with the second. I wouldn't qualify large, independent municipalities with their own sphere of influence as "nodes".
I guess.

Quote:
But downtown Miami and Miami Beach are only separated by four miles (of water). Most of the activity and appeal generally associated with "Miami" is confined to a small area of the region.

Couldn't the same be said for LA? Hollywood and the beach isn't too far from Downtown, relatively speaking and compared to the vast metro? But the point is that the attractions in both places aren't just in one downtown/ CBD region like in Chicago's Loop or Lower/ Midtown Manhattan for NYC. You have to do more traveling around to take everything in.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:06 AM

Lightbulb

No matter what the topic is, if it involves LA. THE. SAME. EXACT. PEOPLE. Literally rush over to make some weird statement.

"How long do you think it'll take until Downtown Los Angeles is "solid"?

Random person : Lets talk about tacos, and how Houston is LAs twin and they both have freeways and they both have food trucks and they are nearly identical because i saw one palm tree in Houston once, and I personally feel they are both equally important and are both cultural icons YAY !"

STOP.. JUST STOP. Take pride in your cities individual identity. Stop trying to be like another city or try to compare your city to another. Its rather embarrassing. Have pride in your cities individuality.

Take away the skylines and being spread out. Houston is NOTHING like LA. I Actually lived in both and can honestly say I'm a witness. IF you're basing your judgment on "What's seen on TV" or what you see on here and you haven't stepped foot in LA in YEARS. JUST. STOP.

ANYWAYS.

DTLA will always be the center of LA. People who ACTUALLY live here identify with DTLA being the core. What some transplants tend to do as well, if it makes some of you feel better is that they sometimes identify everything north of the 10, south of the SAMO mountains and west of the river as our "City" since the skyline stretches from downtown all the way to the beach along Wilshire. But that notation is mostly used by the newbies desperate to be an Angeleno.

To write off DTLA as the central core.... a place getting wall to wall denser and taller while we're at it, is just. Ridiculous. You honestly cant be taken seriously. How long will it take ? NO ONE KNOWS.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:08 AM

I would say Hollywood is the center of LA.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:17 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I would say Hollywood is the center of LA.
I have lived in Hollywood for 15 years and can tell you it is not the center of LA.

This is the center of LA:
Outstanding picture from forum member Trae that he posted on LA City Forum:

Last edited by dktshb; Jun 15, 2018 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:00 AM
Paramoderator

Tbh the center of LA is La Brea to La Cienega, Wilshire to Sunset. Everything else is just bonus.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:37 PM

https://la.curbed.com/maps/south-par...ction-projects

Only the South Park neighborhood.
And this doesn't included a new 39 story hotel announced across the 110 (in Pico Union!).

Its very exciting to see what this neigborhood could become. It will more than double the current LA skyline if these are finished.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:37 PM
E pluribus unum

That skyline view (angle?) is one of the only I've seen where Wilshire Grand looks legitimately taller (not counting the spire) than the Library Tower...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:12 PM

Another Android shot from a couple of days ago:

I'll get a real camera and we'll watch LA's Downtown rise over the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
No matter what the topic is, if it involves LA. THE. SAME. EXACT. PEOPLE. Literally rush over to make some weird statement.

"How long do you think it'll take until Downtown Los Angeles is "solid"?

Random person : Lets talk about tacos, and how Houston is LAs twin and they both have freeways and they both have food trucks and they are nearly identical because i saw one palm tree in Houston once, and I personally feel they are both equally important and are both cultural icons YAY !"

STOP.. JUST STOP. Take pride in your cities individual identity. Stop trying to be like another city or try to compare your city to another. Its rather embarrassing. Have pride in your cities individuality.

Take away the skylines and being spread out. Houston is NOTHING like LA. I Actually lived in both and can honestly say I'm a witness. IF you're basing your judgment on "What's seen on TV" or what you see on here and you haven't stepped foot in LA in YEARS. JUST. STOP.

ANYWAYS.

DTLA will always be the center of LA. People who ACTUALLY live here identify with DTLA being the core. What some transplants tend to do as well, if it makes some of you feel better is that they sometimes identify everything north of the 10, south of the SAMO mountains and west of the river as our "City" since the skyline stretches from downtown all the way to the beach along Wilshire. But that notation is mostly used by the newbies desperate to be an Angeleno.

To write off DTLA as the central core.... a place getting wall to wall denser and taller while we're at it, is just. Ridiculous. You honestly cant be taken seriously. How long will it take ? NO ONE KNOWS.
Cool story bro. Believe it or not, some of us from Houston have refuted the close comparison between HOU/LA here already. And the certainly Angelenos have. Plus, it's essentially just one person here claiming they were alike.

Since you brought up tacos though...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:48 PM

Yea, JManc hasn't made the same comments.

I probably put me too much effort into refuting it, and would rather focus on development news for downtown . I don't think most non LA posters realize how much momentum downtown/LA has right now.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:08 PM
Paramoderator

It might be time for this thread to be closed.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I have lived in Hollywood for 15 years and can tell you it is not the center of LA.

This is the center of LA:
Outstanding picture from forum member Trae that he posted on LA City Forum:
This photo is amazing.

And FWIW, LA is the newest of the old streetcar cities and oldest of the sprawling sunbelt giants. It has characteristics of both groups. Downtown LA to me is has a core area that is "solid", mainly the historic areas. And the rest of it is rapidly filling in. I think of all the other sunbelt giants, only Atlanta comes close to the amount of progress it's made on having its CBD become "solid", and that's mostly in Midtown.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:04 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ That photo pretty much shows that Downtown LA is already solid, along with the surrounding area.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ That photo pretty much shows that Downtown LA is already solid, along with the surrounding area.
How does the photo show anything? The best part of downtown can't even be seen in the picture. And the surrounding area in that photo is mostly Westlake, which I would not describe as being solid. Potential, yes, but in its current condition, no way. I believe you said you're moving here soon, right? Check out the MacArthur Park/Westlake area when you do. It's a fascinating area, if quite rough around the edges.

BTW I had a super enjoyable lunch break today in DTLA. Got some delicious pizza (everyone's favorite topic here on SSP), browsed a cool little shop in Little Tokyo, and took a nice walk through the Historic Core. I actually thought about this thread for a bit on my walk, and thought well, today at least, DTLA is pretty great.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'd say DT LA is quite firm and stable in shape. Its definitely not a liquid or gas, thus, its a solid. A solid full of concrete, steel, glass, loony aspiring singers, and roads.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:50 AM

LA looks like Houston. Sorry, it had been awhile since I derailed the thread. Let the fun start again. And this time I say Houston has better overall food, not just Mexican Food.

And Jacksonville has a better skyline than LA and Toronto combined.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Culturally, it’s an important gravitational center for LA already. A lot of downtowns around the country are bigger, but I can see DTLA rapidly surpassing a lot of them in terms of well-known institutions and other things of substance. It is LA, after all. So we’re seeing a lot of retail/restaurants wanting to branch out to LA, choosing DTLA specifically, that they wouldn’t do in a less famous city. So it has local energy to build the area, but it can always rely on being supported by international interests as well. That’s something most other cities in the US don’t have.

For instance, this year we see Daniel Humm and the Sydell Group, David Chang and news of SoHo House opening serious ventures in LA, along with a lot of Chinese money ventures.
And to this end, it was just announced today that one of Chicago’s best restaurants, Girl & The Goat, is planning to open in DTLA in arts district, stressing DTLAs strong advantage of attracting the best in the country without much effort. Is this due to Majordomo or Nomad? All of these create a synergetic effect of attracting more and more. The substance and attractions in DTLA will build really fast. What’s there or coming is why the place will solidfy as fast as the physical evolution of the city. In this way it has less barriers than downtowns even twice as large. The substance of the city happens naturally. Its the physical transformation thats really the only thing the city needs to direct.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:55 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
How does the photo show anything? The best part of downtown can't even be seen in the picture. And the surrounding area in that photo is mostly Westlake, which I would not describe as being solid. Potential, yes, but in its current condition, no way. I believe you said you're moving here soon, right? Check out the MacArthur Park/Westlake area when you do. It's a fascinating area, if quite rough around the edges.

BTW I had a super enjoyable lunch break today in DTLA. Got some delicious pizza (everyone's favorite topic here on SSP), browsed a cool little shop in Little Tokyo, and took a nice walk through the Historic Core. I actually thought about this thread for a bit on my walk, and thought well, today at least, DTLA is pretty great.
Well, the density of the lowrises right at the foreground of both these photos is pretty strong and above all other cities in the Sunbelt. It's those lowrise apartment buildings, along with the single-story storefronts, that gives LA outside of the DT area a cohesive urban layout. Other Sunbelt cities, like Houston or Atlanta, might achieve this one someday. Only Miami right now comes closest with neighborhoods like Little Havana, Midtown, Edgewater, and even Brickell surrounding the downtown area and attempting to continue the urban fabric.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 4:09 PM
BANNED

In the past 5 years the development in these three examples in downtown are almost unrecognizable.

Aug 2012: https://goo.gl/maps/UCc4ywjTQD12
Oct 2017: https://goo.gl/maps/SCy6SEzbuLG2

Nov 2014: https://goo.gl/maps/33CNmSDps3E2
Dec 2017: https://goo.gl/maps/ZuBKfbwoSBG2

Mar 2014: https://goo.gl/maps/XjipLs9jNSU2
Oct 2017: https://goo.gl/maps/3UBD5NmXWhs

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:29 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Well, the density of the lowrises right at the foreground of both these photos is pretty strong and above all other cities in the Sunbelt. It's those lowrise apartment buildings, along with the single-story storefronts, that gives LA outside of the DT area a cohesive urban layout. Other Sunbelt cities, like Houston or Atlanta, might achieve this one someday. Only Miami right now comes closest with neighborhoods like Little Havana, Midtown, Edgewater, and even Brickell surrounding the downtown area and attempting to continue the urban fabric.

In that pick you have the neighborhoods of eastern Koreatown, Wesltlake and City West, which have densities anywhere from 20K to 50K people per square mile. These neighborhoods are solid. Westlake still has a reputation of being a bit of an edgy and somewhat dangerous neighborhood, but with its unique culture and amazing architecture it is a must see.

On the other side of those skyscrapers you have the architecture dense neighborhoods of Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Historic Core, Skid Row Fashion District and Arts District.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions