HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think we all can accept that LA has made great strides in the last 5-10 years. The amount of development is surreal, and a lot of top-quality designs are coming out and rising. Which is heading in the right direction.

Whats needed is more development. Really to alleviate the housing crisis. I'd like to see this sped up, but change takes time. I just hope the needed zoning and political push to build housing is accelerated.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:31 PM

if this was a city up north id hate it but your not destroying a lot of nature down there with huge cities. also its good for the homeless, many homeless people die up here from the cold.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think we all can accept that LA has made great strides in the last 5-10 years. The amount of development is surreal, and a lot of top-quality designs are coming out and rising. Which is heading in the right direction.

Whats needed is more development. Really to alleviate the housing crisis. I'd like to see this sped up, but change takes time. I just hope the needed zoning and political push to build housing is accelerated.
I live in DTLA and more specifically in South Park. The amount of construction here in South Park is very similar to LIC which isn’t too far from you. The neighborhoods are fairly similar in that both are changing rapidly. Buildings in LIC are taller, but we may have more apartments under construction. But we could still handle more and it appears to be coming. Even even half of what’s proposed gets built DTLA and South Park are going to be very different places in 5-10 years.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I live in DTLA and more specifically in South Park. The amount of construction here in South Park is very similar to LIC which isn’t too far from you. The neighborhoods are fairly similar in that both are changing rapidly. Buildings in LIC are taller, but we may have more apartments under construction. But we could still handle more and it appears to be coming. Even even half of what’s proposed gets built DTLA and South Park are going to be very different places in 5-10 years.
I agree. I think for some it might be hard to appreciate the boom, because well... the city is huge. If it was smaller, it might be easier to "see" the boom, but many different neighborhoods and clusters are booming. I see the city layout and concentration of skyscrapers and high rises over "X" distance as a plus. In other words, its not the typical American city layout where there is one big downtown, and a sea of low-rises or single family homes surrounding it. Instead, the city has multiple nodes. I guess if I were to compare it (just as an example of a concept), its like a bigger Queens. Where you have high rise/skyscraper clusters all over with a cushion of low rises and single-family homes around them.

I think this is a plus from an aesthetic standpoint, because not many cities have this in the U.S.. Its urban nature extends far from the CBD, and that in my book is great for not only the look, but the feel of the city.

Also on a side note, high-rises and skyscrapers aside, mid-rises compromise a big chunk of the boom. Those smaller, often forgotten developments, but when you add them up... they account for a large chunk of the units. They just might not be as visible given the size of LA.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:38 PM
Posh

Can't ... resist ...

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
if this was a city up north id hate it but your not destroying a lot of nature down there with huge cities. also its good for the homeless, many homeless people die up here from the cold.
Yeah brother man, I like totally agree. In the name of Mother Earth [like uh, the environment and stuff, man] you should totally peace out of all that wilderness in the Pacific Northwest and claim your spot in some environmental wasteland of the Southland. I mean, why are there cities even up there destroying our forests?

Peace and Love brother.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Yeah brother man, I like totally agree. In the name of Mother Earth [like uh, the environment and stuff, man] you should totally peace out of all that wilderness in the Pacific Northwest and claim your spot in some environmental wasteland of the Southland. I mean, why are there cities even up there destroying our forests?

Peace and Love brother.
i think oregon if perfect not counting portland. just if all the cities would stop growing. if la was in oregon that would be shit literally.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:21 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:44 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^

urbanize.la / Instagram

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:03 PM

Downtown LA now has 2 more proposals over 1,000 (or 1100?)ft.

This goes along with several 60 story + propoosals.

For a downtown that's not hemmed in by water or moutains, developers are going very vertical compared to almost most cities not named NYC, Chicago or mabybe Miami.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:19 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I think it's safe to say at this point that we won't ever have to worry about DTLA attracting investment like we did back in the 90s and 00s. The challenges/anxiety moving forward are strictly design (e.g. how to deal with the podium epidemic, figuring out how to make Bunker Hill more pedestrian friendly).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:29 PM

Agreed. I think downtown LA passed that point as well.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:55 AM
Environmental Sabotage

That northern part of Downtown from 5th to 1st on Figueroa and Flower is the absolute worst part of all of Downtown and truly is like some suburban office park. I do not even associate this area as being Downtown. With this development and the one proposed across the street with the tennis courts I really hope there is an effort to turn this area back to its more pedestrian friendly roots and connect it to the rest of downtown. This area is so alien to me.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Anyone else notice the shirtless dude in his bare feet just strolling around in the render:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:22 PM

Looks realistic to me

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:40 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Looks realistic to me
all he's missing are oozing open sores

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:46 PM
BANNED

I noticed for the first time [I think it's been that way for a while though] that the Los Angeles City Limits sign on the westbound 60 freeway posted a population figure of 4,045,000, also on the eastbound Ventura Freeway.

Those signs are usually terribly outdated, looks like they posted the most recent population estimates.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:35 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
I noticed for the first time [I think it's been that way for a while though] that the Los Angeles City Limits sign on the westbound 60 freeway posted a population figure of 4,045,000, also on the eastbound Ventura Freeway.

Those signs are usually terribly outdated, looks like they posted the most recent population estimates.
I saw that as well just last week.

These new proposals are really pretty exciting. LA of course has always felt massive but now the skyline is beginning match, not just downtown either, but all around particularly the west side.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 9:42 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I know this isn't a development thread, but since the Arts District was brought up earlier, a major 35-story mixed-use development was approved by the Planning Commission this week and will head to the City Council for final approval (which they will certainly give). This is a seminal moment for the Arts District, as nothing of this magnitude has come to fruition yet (there are many proposals though). It will set a new precedent for the neighborhood, both in terms of height and architecture, and clearly establish the Arts District as the eastern boundary of Downtown LA.

https://la.curbed.com/2018/6/20/1748...ing-commission

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:58 AM

Quote:

In reality, LA passed the 4 million threshold years ago, it's just that everyone is not registered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions