HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
When you factor in the Inland Empire, the comparison is closer and besides, LA is pretty expansive, there's no one central part, there's no part that screams LA the way Manhattan does in New York or pretty much the entire city like San Francisco.
I don't think the Inland Empire looks or feels anything like Houston.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:55 AM

Skid row/homelessness issue needs to be resolved. I think that’s the single most important thing for DTLA to be solid. People will walk around at night if/when they feel safe.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:03 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
DTLA has 80k residents now. We solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
DTLA has come a long way in the last 20 years, but it hasn’t even scratched the surface when it comes to reaching its full potential. It will take several real estate boom cycles before it can compete with west of La Brea.

I find this really hard to believe... 40,000 tops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
As someone who has lived in DTLA for 10 years, its night and day compared to when i first moved here. Probably over a hundred new projects have been built since then and thats just the tip of the ice berg compared to whats coming up. Tons of new retail, restaurants and bars, so many different kinds of districts and an energy that is generally positive. The next steps are the infrastructure improvements that are coming and dealing with the homeless issue.

40,000? Easily over 65,000.
The Downtown Center Business Improvement District (DCBID) showed that by the beginning of 2017 the population had reached 67,324.

It is certainly well over 70,000 now and expected to double by the 2028 Olympics with it surpassing 100,000 in the very early 2020's for the first time since the 1920's. By 2040 it is expected to reach 200,000.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:19 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Downtown LA won't be the peak or prime part of the city until there is a solution to the massive homeless problem there. There is really nothing similar (except maybe San Francisco) in any other US city. Sure there are pockets of homelessness in every large US city, but the problem of visible homelessness in downtown in LA beyond compare. It is a huge demoralizing factor that impacts every aspect of life downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Skid row/homelessness issue needs to be resolved. I think that’s the single most important thing for DTLA to be solid. People will walk around at night if/when they feel safe.
The homelessness is a major issue for sure (crazy bad like nowhere else) but it is not stopping Downtown LA from becoming the center of LA once again. Regardless, LA will always have multiple nodes where people gather.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Wow.

Now you're using the Inland Empire in this discussion???? Those suburbs that are 30-60 miles away from downtown LA? Are those places like other sunbelt cities? Probably. But
that's worse than saying Aurora, Illinois is like Chicago or Loudon County is DC.

I took the train to Azusa a couple of weeks ago. It didn't even remind me of much of the San Fernando Valley. I'm guessing the Inland Empire would be in the same league.
It was less dense and noisy. It felt like how outer suburbs are supposed to function.

There is a central part for LA County. It goes from downtown to Santa Monica, south of the Hollywood Hills and north of Washington Blvd (that way it counts Culver City, Venice). You can make arguement for the 101-134 corridor being the northern border too.

This area has the most employment, hotels, shopping, attractions entertainment, etc for the region. Many LA posters have pointed this out as well.
What two places look exactly alike? That's the problem on this board sometimes, I'm not saying Houston is exactly like IE or LA physically or in layout but there are similarities.

It's once again the LA superiority complex that it can't be compared to some podunk cow town. LA is a real city more than its reputation lends on but in the end, it may be the king of all Sun Belt cities but it's still a Sun Belt city. Just like anywhere else except maybe Miami or New Orleans, I couldn't imagine living in LA without a car, even if it's possible. Even with it being possible, I certainly wouldn't live without a car if I still lived that way because of the great distances between points of interest in LA County alone, let alone all of Southern California; at moment's notice you may have to go to the other side of the area to see a site or visit a friend.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I don't think the Inland Empire looks or feels anything like Houston.
The overarching suburban layout is what I'm getting at. A plus for the IE however is that much of it is laid out on a grid street wise.

Once again, I'm not saying they're exactly alike.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
What two places look exactly alike? That's the problem on this board sometimes, I'm not saying Houston is exactly like IE or LA physically or in layout but there are similarities.

It's once again the LA superiority complex that it can't be compared to some podunk cow town. LA is a real city more than its reputation lends on but in the end, it may be the king of all Sun Belt cities but it's still a Sun Belt city. Just like anywhere else except maybe Miami or New Orleans, I couldn't imagine living in LA without a car, even if it's possible. Even with it being possible, I certainly wouldn't live without a car if I still lived that way because of the great distances between points of interest in LA County alone, let alone all of Southern California; at moment's notice you may have to go to the other side of the area to see a site or visit a friend.
You say the weirdest things. Nobody called Houston a podunk town. I just don't think (along with many others) there aren't any Houston neighborhoods like the majority of LA. So if that's the case , how are they similar then? That theyre both sunbelt? Ok..

Why is it so hard for you to accept ? I've asked for comparisons between the two, and nobody provides anything but opinions. You brought this up in this thread, any any chance you seem to get. It's frankly weird at this point.

I think San Diego is the closest comparison to LA, which makes sense.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:18 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
When you factor in the Inland Empire, the comparison is closer and besides, LA is pretty expansive, there's no one central part, there's no part that screams LA the way Manhattan does in New York or pretty much the entire city like San Francisco.
San Bernardino is 70 miles from Los Angeles and Riverside is 63. It would only make sense that if you want to include the IE now in your comparison of Los Angeles and Houston you would throw in Houston's equally far flung cities and towns and then compare the two keeping in mind all points in between as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that Riverside has a density equal to Houston.

I imagine a drive north up the 45 to Huntsville from Houston (70 miles) or west on the 10 to Bernardo (70 miles) is nothing like the drive east on the 10 from Los Angeles to San Bernardino.

Furthermore, the LA Basin from Downtown to Venice Beach "screams" Los Angeles' unique identity pretty well.

Last edited by dktshb; Jun 9, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
San Bernardino is 70 miles from Los Angeles and Riverside is 63. It would only make sense that if you want to include the IE now in your comparison of Los Angeles and Houston you would throw in Houston's equally far flung cities and towns and then compare the two keeping in mind all points in between as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that Riverside has a density equal to Houston.

I imagine a drive north up the 45 to Huntsville from Houston (70 miles) or west on the 10 to Bernardo (70 miles) is nothing like the drive east on the 10 from Los Angeles to San Bernardino.

Furthermore, the LA Basin from Downtown to Venice Beach "screams" Los Angele's unique identity pretty well.
agreed.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post

Furthermore, the LA Basin from Downtown to Venice Beach "screams" Los Angeles' unique identity pretty well.
The IE wouldn't exist as is without being close to LA, who cares how far it is from LA? I used to live in Rialto. Do you think that place would exist as anything but a truck stop/rest stop if it wasn't a place priced out people from LA moved to?

There is continuous/contiguous urban/suburban development from the coast and probably as much as 75-90 miles inland, with only slight dropoffs in population density, so it really doesn't matter how far away they are. It has its fair share of 100,000+ cities, so it's hardly just a minor outlying area. Ontario airport is owned by LA and they get LA media.

And it's not like LA has a Manhattan district or is like Washington DC as the unique center of the region. That's why it's fair to include pretty much everything in SoCal north of San Diego County, West Joshua Tree and south of Kern County as part of Greater LA.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 9:09 PM

Again, what you're saying has nothing to do how similar you think Houston is to LA.

And this topic was about downtown LA until you popped in, wanting people to agree with you.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
You say the weirdest things. Nobody called Houston a podunk town. I just don't think (along with many others) there aren't any Houston neighborhoods like the majority of LA. So if that's the case , how are they similar then? That theyre both sunbelt? Ok..

Why is it so hard for you to accept ? I've asked for comparisons between the two, and nobody provides anything but opinions. You brought this up in this thread, any any chance you seem to get. It's frankly weird at this point.

I think San Diego is the closest comparison to LA, which makes sense.
Both have endless gridlocked freeways and regardless of density, lots of sprawl, both are warm or hotter most of the year, both have beaches close by, have a strong Latino influence (though it's decidedly greater in LA), both have a Pasadena nearby (admittedly trivial and irrelevant), both are decentralized, both have Downtowns away from the coast and more I can't remember right now. I realize what website this is but not everything comes down to skyscrapers, topography and street layout.

And, obviously San Diego compares better to LA than Houston but that doesn't mean Houston doesn't compare at all.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Again, what you're saying has nothing to do how similar you think Houston is to LA.

And this topic was about downtown LA until you popped in, wanting people to agree with you.
I really don't care whether you agree or not and threads change and evolve. Welcome to chat room 101. You don't see the similarities I see and that's fine. You're free to move the conversation where it was.

Last edited by ThePhun1; Jun 10, 2018 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 3:53 AM

One of the reasons I think DTLA will be “solidify” quickly, aside from the tens of billions in rail investment, is that because it’s LA, you have so many creative people and hip brands flooding into the area, so automatically you have destinations like Nomad Hotel and Majordomo even if the area around it is still downtrodden. It has the advantage of attracting these big brands without really needing to “earn” it or strategically attract them like other burgeoning downtowns need to do.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
I really don't care whether you agree or not and threads change and evolve. Welcome to chat room 101. You don't see similarities I see and that's fine. You're free to move the conversation where it was.
That's nice. You'd still be in the minority. Anyone who's actually lived in LA will say there's a sizeable difference between LA proper and the SFV, much less Orange County, the Inland Empire, and definitely a place like Houston.

Do they share some general things in common? I guess.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
One of the reasons I think DTLA will be “solidify” quickly, aside from the tens of billions in rail investment, is that because it’s LA, you have so many creative people and hip brands flooding into the area, so automatically you have destinations like Nomad Hotel and Majordomo even if the area around it is still downtrodden. It has the advantage of attracting these big brands without really needing to “earn” it or strategically attract them like other burgeoning downtowns need to do.
Yes, the creative class is/will be a big factor going forward. I'm curious to see what downtown will be like after some of the new creative office space and renovations are complete. From what I understand, much of it is under construction or proposed.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:07 AM

Quote:
That's nice. You'd still be in the minority. Anyone who's actually lived in LA will say there's a sizeable difference between LA proper and the SFV, much less Orange County, the Inland Empire, and definitely a place like Houston.

Do they share some general things in common? I guess.
Remember, I can actually test that theory. I'll call all of my relatives that live that way and have for decades to see if they agree. I certainly don't agree about LA itself being overly different than many surrounding areas but since I no longer live that way, I can talk to current residents.

That's also what's funny, you still talk to me like a complete outsider that knows nothing about SoCal. Not to say you're not partially correct but just sayin.'

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Remember, I can actually test that theory. I'll call all of my relatives that live that way and have for decades to see if they agree. I certainly don't agree about LA itself being overly different than many surrounding areas but since I no longer live that way, I can talk to current residents.

That's also what's funny, you still talk to me like a complete outsider that knows nothing about SoCal. Not to say you're not partially correct but just sayin.'
I don't care who you ask. I'm sure the posters here would say the same thing.
And it's why people from LA don't associate with Orange County, even though it's part of the same MSA.

It's why some people in the LA proper don't like the SFV, even though I think that's changed some in the last decade.

This is downtown a street in downtown Pomona. It's fine for a suburb, but how does this look LA? There aren't many storefronts or multi family housing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0566...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by LA21st; Jun 10, 2018 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:53 PM
E pluribus unum

Which part of Orange County are we talking about? Anaheim/Westminster/Garden Grove (which don't look all that different than Downey/Norwalk/Cerritos) or the parts south of John Wayne Airport?

I'd argue that the cities north of the 55 freeway aren't all that different from the north side of the Orange Curtain (or whatever we're calling the DMZ nowadays).

You don't really get into stereotypical "Orange County" until Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, Irvine or Laguna Beach.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:13 PM

I believe LA21st is mainly referring to the city of LA, Downey and Norwalk are clearly suburban and has a different feel and vibe than the city of LA.

Even though the San Fernando Valley is mostly suburban, it’s part of LA city and has more of a city feel and vibe you will never get or feel in Orange County (Santa Ana, Anaheim), I.E. (Rialto, San Bernardino, Riverside), and not even Long Beach which is probably the closest to LA city type development.

I know you already know this but I am a native Angeleno, and grew up in South Central LA, and lived all over Southern California. I used to live in Long Beach, and the Inland Empire, San Gabriel Valley, went to high school in the San Fernando Valley, and worked downtown LA, Orange County, and the South Bay(Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach), LAX area and took the train to work , and now I’m living in the west San Fernando Valley, and work in Ventura County. I believe I know Southern California pretty well, and to add to this I have a few years on most fourmers here, I’ve entered my 50’s now.

Let’s just say I’ve seen a lot of things in LA, and my favorite hobby is exploring the region, this is something I’ve done since I was old enough to take the bus by myself (13 years old). Oh I also lived outside LA, briefly in Chicago, Fresno, and worked for a international company that had flight benefits I took full advantage of, so I visited many cities here in the USA, Canada, and Europe.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Jun 10, 2018 at 9:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions