HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Don't bother guys Crawford hates all warm weather cities and any city that didn't develop Pre-1900
Bizarre but appropriate response for someone apparently allergic to data and reality, I suppose?

The U.S. Census reports decentralized share of employment in LA because a SSP forumer apparently "hates all warm weather cities". Good luck with that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Even with the current boom, the level of growth in core LA is much less than in much smaller cities.
According to this LA Times article from 2016, Downtown LA is having its largest construction boom since the 1920's. 42 developments of over 50,000 square feet have been built since 2010 with 37 more under construction. This number has grown considerably since the article was published.

It would be interesting to compare DTLA's boom with other cities in the country.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...130-story.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Obviously not true. LA is one of the most multimodal cities on earth, and the core has a tiny share of metro employment, retail, hotels, tax base, etc.

Also obviously not true. LA is two or three times the size of all these metros excepting NYC.
Uhh what's not true?

I was talking about your vague "core" terminology referring to the "core" [or center, or DTLA] of Los Angeles -- not the entire L.A. basin, lol.

DTLA isn't the second largest DT, it is a significant downtown in the U.S. and it's growing at the fastest pace in about 100 years. Maybe one day it'll become the third largest behind N.Y. and Chicago, but the core [DTLA] not there yet.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:38 PM
Never Dell

I'd be curious about square footages and number of units, tied to a set of boundaries.

It wouldn't be in the top few, but the numbers are certainly solid.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I'd be curious about square footages and number of units, tied to a set of boundaries.

It wouldn't be in the top few, but the numbers are certainly solid.
Yeah me too, I'd like to see some actual numbers.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:13 PM

Curbed LA does a good job covering the construction boom in and around DTLA. These lists are constantly updated as new projects are proposed and approved.

https://la.curbed.com/maps/tower-hig...ap-los-angeles

https://la.curbed.com/maps/westlake-...e-construction

https://la.curbed.com/maps/koreatown...-new-buildings

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The region will not lose its multinodal nature.
How does LA's "multinodal nature" preclude it from having a core in the same league as any North American city not named New York? If you're saying that LA's relationship with its downtown will never be as important as it is with Chicago, Philadelphia, or Seattle, then that's another thing. The notion that significantly larger LA could never have a core at the very least "comparable" to the latter two cities (especially Seattle) is just ludicrous.

I also take issue with the implication that multinodality and centralization are mutually exclusive urban principles. Just look at the SF Bay Area and how much of its economic engine is scatteredly based across Silicon Valley, and not concentrated in SF proper. Even the NYC Tri-State Area is multinodal to a degree (i.e. White Plains, Greenwich, Stamford, New Jersey), despite the sheer dominance of Manhattan.

Finally, LA's multinodality in terms of both perception and reality is more a reflection of how underdeveloped its downtown and regional rail system are and less the gravitational pull that other centers have. What even qualifies as a "node" is pretty ambiguous as well. The bottom line is that Downtown LA has the potential to overshadow all of those places.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:00 PM

Downtown LA has about 32 million sq ft of Class A Office space, about 70,000 residents and is the largest govt center outside of DC.. Its certainly not small in any way. All of these aspects are growing as well. There are dozens of older buildings that are being rehabbed into hotels, creative office and residential, dozens of new residential and mixed use projects under construction or proposed and billions of dollars worth of rail being built.

Certainly not as large as a central city as NYC, Chicago, Boston or SF, but in range of Seattle, Philly and that range of central cities

Last edited by LosAngelesSportsFan; Jun 12, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Downtown LA has about 32 million sq ft of Class A Office space, about 70,000 residents and is the second largest govt center outside of DC..
Actually, Los Angeles' Civic Center is the largest government center outside of DC/has the highest concentration of government workers outside of DC; this is by virtue of Los Angeles being the county seat of the most populous county in the US, and of course being the second largest city in the US. Consequently, LA County's court system is the busiest in the US.

LA's Civic Center contains city, county, state, and federal offices, and their respective workers, of course.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:35 PM

I actually meant that, just said it wrong. Thanks

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:21 AM

Culturally, it’s an important gravitational center for LA already. A lot of downtowns around the country are bigger, but I can see DTLA rapidly surpassing a lot of them in terms of well-known institutions and other things of substance. It is LA, after all. So we’re seeing a lot of retail/restaurants wanting to branch out to LA, choosing DTLA specifically, that they wouldn’t do in a less famous city. So it has local energy to build the area, but it can always rely on being supported by international interests as well. That’s something most other cities in the US don’t have.

For instance, this year we see Daniel Humm and the Sydell Group, David Chang and news of SoHo House opening serious ventures in LA, along with a lot of Chinese money ventures.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:39 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Actually, Los Angeles' Civic Center is the largest government center outside of DC/has the highest concentration of government workers outside of DC; this is by virtue of Los Angeles being the county seat of the most populous county in the US, and of course being the second largest city in the US. Consequently, LA County's court system is the busiest in the US.

LA's Civic Center contains city, county, state, and federal offices, and their respective workers, of course.
Not to mention that The Fashion District Downtown spans 90 blocks and is a hub of the apparel textile and manufacturing industry.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Culturally, it’s an important gravitational center for LA already. A lot of downtowns around the country are bigger, but I can see DTLA rapidly surpassing a lot of them in terms of well-known institutions and other things of substance. It is LA, after all. So we’re seeing a lot of retail/restaurants wanting to branch out to LA, choosing DTLA specifically, that they wouldn’t do in a less famous city. So it has local energy to build the area, but it can always rely on being supported by international interests as well. That’s something most other cities in the US don’t have.

For instance, this year we see Daniel Humm and the Sydell Group, David Chang and news of SoHo House opening serious ventures in LA, along with a lot of Chinese money ventures.
I can't say I agree with that. For LA's Downtown to be a popping, very important area, Hollywood would have had to have been in it or adjacent to it along with some movie studios. Or, as I always note, for it to have been along the coast near the port, some beaches and perhaps with some combination of the above.

It's unfortunate but I still like DTLA, especially the older area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:19 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Well, being in the central part of the whole city makes Downtown LA iconic enough. I hope to observe more once I head over there in more than a month but it has the ability to be more solid. Maybe putting the freeways underground would help connect it better to the other dense central neighborhoods like Koreatown.

Compared to other Sunbelt cities, LA and Southern
California seems to be the densest, followed by Miami and South Florida. Similiarities with Houston are very superficial. The former comparison should be talked about more.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:18 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The comparisons to Miami/South Florida are equally superficial, if not more so. LA actually has way more in common with Houston than Miami.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:22 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I can't say I agree with that. For LA's Downtown to be a popping, very important area, Hollywood would have had to have been in it or adjacent to it along with some movie studios. Or, as I always note, for it to have been along the coast near the port, some beaches and perhaps with some combination of the above.

It's unfortunate but I still like DTLA, especially the older area.
None of this makes much sense. How does DTLA not having those things mean the difference between it being a “popping, very important area” and one that’s not? Going off of what ocman said earlier, DTLA will one day have the population of a large town and can accommodate up to maybe 400,000 residents. Those people, presumably mostly middle class and higher, will bring with them plenty of jobs and amenities.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:41 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post

I think DTLA has a distinct advantage with its most urban and interesting area (Historic Core) evolving into a mixed-use district of residences, boutique hotels, creative office space, retail/restaurant, and hopefully entertainment. I feel like this aspect is a bit lacking in every city not named New York and maybe San Francisco.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
None of this makes much sense. How does DTLA not having those things mean the difference between it being a “popping, very important area” and one that’s not? Going off of what ocman said earlier, DTLA will one day have the population of a large town and can accommodate up to maybe 400,000 residents. Those people, presumably mostly middle class and higher, will bring with them plenty of jobs and amenities.
I'm sure DTLA is appealing to some as is and it can and likely will improve.

But I don't hold it in much higher regard than Downtown Houston or Dallas, which is bad, not from an urban decay standpoint but because DT is a dull area in both of those places. Thank God for the historic part, or else it'd really be bad.

This is a case where I really would whether spend more time in Hollywood and you LA people know how I think of Hollywood.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:

But I don't hold it in much higher regard than Downtown Houston or Dallas, which is bad, not from an urban decay standpoint but because DT is a dull area in both of those places. Thank God for the historic part, or else it'd really be bad.

This is a case where I really would whether spend more time in Hollywood and you LA people know how I think of Hollywood.
Your mindset is from like 2005... Museums, interesting neighborhoods, the hottest food scene in the country, cultural amenities, Sports, pretty much daily outdoor music and performances, historic theaters... DTLA is literally anything but dull. Yes, we have some issues, but being dull is not one of them

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:

You still haven’t answered my question. What’s so intrinsically indispensable about movie studios and beaches that they are the deciding factor in whether or not DTLA is a “popping, very important area” or not?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions